One of the SADDEST days of my life

Status
Not open for further replies.
OMG what a sad but wonderful story. We are not thankful enough & complain about the smallest things. This really puts life into perspective!

Agree with others though that the information was too detailed & intimate about this patient, I think confidentiality in treating patients is a must! The patient could be identified from the information provided & I think with his condition he has suffered enough humiliation without the whole world knowing that he went to ER with urine leaking from his penis, very inappropriate I think!

My sister is a NP (Nurse Practitioner) and she always has stories to share. Her heart is SOOOO BIG. I just don't know how she does it. She's been a nurse for nearly 20 years now and she has no plans to stop working...lol. She's my older and only sister and sibling and I admire her and what she does so much. I have many friends and family that are doing great things professionally and are successful but my sister is my source of inspiration. She truly gives her heart to all of her patients. Thanks so much for sharing your story. Sounds like you were handpicked by God to be an MD as well.

It's doctors like you who are dedicated and compassionate, and work very hard to help others that make this world a much better place. Can you imagine this man without the care and compassion from a doctor like you? Hats off to you and your fellow doctors who not only have able hands but a huge heart! :heart:

I can't believe some of you took what was meant to be an expression of my grief, and a chance to tell the story of an incredibly tragic life, and questioned my respect of patient confidentiality and judged me on expressing emotion. Are you kidding me??!!!

I think it's interesting that the individuals who commented on confidentiality were NOT the physicians. In fact, the physicians that posted said nothing about violations. They were positive. I encourage everyone to read up and get informed on HIPAA at www.hhs.gov/ocr/hipaa/

For those of you who had nothing but nice things to say, THANK YOU for understanding the point of the story and appreciating its beauty.

For those who were negative, well.....I'll keep my comments to myself. It's not worth the drama.

I can't believe some of you took what was meant to be an expression of my grief, and a chance to tell the story of an incredibly tragic life, and questioned my respect of patient confidentiality and judged me on expressing emotion. Are you kidding me??!!!

I think it's interesting that the individuals who commented on confidentiality were NOT the physicians. In fact, the physicians that posted said nothing about violations. They were positive. I encourage everyone to read up and get informed on HIPAA at www.hhs.gov/ocr/hipaa/

For those of you who had nothing but nice things to say, THANK YOU for understanding the point of the story and appreciating its beauty.

For those who were negative, well.....I'll keep my comments to myself. It's not worth the drama.

Your story was very touching but the patients intimate details should have been ommitted, I am sorry you are annoyed but that is fact whether the physicians commented on it or not. You posted TMI about that man & he could be easily identified from that!
I would not like any complaint much less a very personal one like urinary problems that I went to the hospital with posted on the internet along with facts that could identify me.

Your story was very touching but the patients intimate details should have been ommitted, I am sorry you are annoyed but that is fact whether the physicians commented on it or not. You posted TMI about that man & he could be easily identified from that!
I would not like any complaint much less a very personal one like urinary problems that I went to the hospital with posted on the internet along with facts that could identify me.

I assume that you're not in the medical profession, and I'm not sure how medicine is practiced in the UK, other than it's socialized medicine. But for your information, intimate details are as follows:
1.NAME
2.Medical record number
3.Hospital location
4.ALL pertinent past medical history and prior admissions
5.Home address and phone #
6.Hospital course
7.Descriptions of the patient's handicap and body habitus.

NONE of which were mentioned. I'm actually NOT annoyed. I know I'm in the right, and that knowledge makes me feel good. What preplexes me how people can make uninformed, ignorant comments. But hey, I'm not here to educate. I'm here to share stories and look at some beautiful handbags.

read post #7 posted by you the op. you didn't mind taking someone else to task. is that the way you express your compassion? taking off on someone you felt was inferior to yourself? was the description of the anal absess really necessary?

you wanted praise and you got it. when you post on a public forum you will hear more than you want to. you got no worse than you gave. imho.

you know I'm pretty much on your side here but this kinda confused me a little. didn't you describe his handicap? and what is body habitus? (not a doc here...:smile: )

I hope there's no sides here, but I appreciate what you meant.

I actually did not describe his handicap. There are hundreds of quadriplegics with amputations in Chicago hospitals. And even more without amputations. But describing where their lesions lie, what part of the spinal cord was affected, what the injury manifested to is a true description. I just told you he's a quadriplegic. The pathology behind it was never revealed.

Body habitus is a basically a description of a person's BMI, or body mass index. Thus no one knows if this person is morbidly obese, overweight or malnouished.

Thanks for asking!

i must say that i loved your story and i admire you for what you do and what a brave and good person you are:heart: ...but your lashing out and a serious one, this whole you dont know a thing on batgirl who didnt mean anything bad at all i cant understand... :shrugs:

perhaps you should go back and read your post. i did. i had a fracture of c5 so i well remembered you stating it but i went back and checked. you also described that that meant paralysis from the neck down but that there was limited hand motion. i don't have the technical knowledge to quote exactly your words but that is pretty close.

read post #7 posted by you the op. you didn't mind taking someone else to task. is that the way you express your compassion? taking off on someone you felt was inferior to yourself? was the description of the anal absess really necessary?

you wanted praise and you got it. when you post on a public forum you will hear more than you want to. you got no worse than you gave. imho.

Your post is amusing/confusing. I think you should go back and read post#7 again. The anal abscess (that is how you spell it by the way) was an example. Something I used for comparison. I was trying to point out how it would be hard for someone not to get sickened by that. It did NOT pertain to the patient.

Secondly, you are grossly mistaken if you think I posted the story for praise. You completely missed the point. What kind of praise was I seeking? I did nothing but cry. I didn't "save" him or "change his life". I wanted to tell the story of an incredible human being.

I DID NOT post to get a lecture from people about what I shouldn't have said or done. For example, I shouldn't cry, or I shoudln't have gave you a little of the patient's history. Who is anyone to say what I should have done, and MOST importantly, what was the right reaction to have??? It's just ridiculous!!!

The truth is, if I didn't describe the patient a little, or tell you a little of his history, his past, then it wouldn't have been so compelling. The reason why it moved so many people here is because they got a peek into what made him so wonderful, and so optomistic, despite his unfortune.

I'm upset to say that this will be my last post in this thread. The negativity has sucked the beauty out of this story, killed my joy in telling it, and made it into an opportunity for people to criticize. I'm not here to defend myself
I just find it hard to accpet that some of you have been so negative and critical. And I'm not going to deal with it anymore.

What brings me happiness is that tomorrow morning I get to go to the hospital, walk into his room, and get the opportunity to see him again......

honestly, its ok that she lashed out on me, i have felt it by some med students in the ER but never the residents and i think that as a med student you should look at how you treat EVERYONE in the ER. everyone includes patients, nurses, PTs, EMTs, interprters, security, etc.

and one can show empathy without crying in the hallway, its done very often. trust me, i have PLENTY of exprience...not most people my age have had to tell a family how their loved one died and i had to translate it from the dr's to the family.

doing a rotation in the ER is very different. a clerkship doesnt give you THAT much experience. how many people have you done CPR on and have them still die? ask me how many times i felt like i failed because someone died...its a lot! but ask me how many times i felt useful, despite not being a med student or resident, PLENTY!!!

hopefully you develop a little more compassion for those working around you....but i guess that comes with experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.