One of the SADDEST days of my life

Status
Not open for further replies.
What an amazing courageous man. Both my parents are in the medical profession and would often come home with inspiring stories of will and faith that just touched your heart... such as yours.

Thanks for posting :heart:

Thanks for your comment Prada. I'm sure your parents would be very interesting to sit down and chat with. Kudos to them for being in this profession and contributing to an area of society that most people rather ignore. I wish you could have met this man. I wish everyone here did.....

Just a thought----are you as a medical student supposed to talk about patients??? Does this man know you posted information on him on this board? Many of my friends are in the medical field and their is a privacy policy where doctors, ect... are not supposed to disclose any information on any patients without their consent. As inspirational you may find this man and others are touched by what you wrote I think you should think twice or talk to you supervisors about what information you are allowed to give to strangers about patients under your care. If it was me I would not want any medical person posting my personal information on the internet or to anyone.

I think it's truly amusing how someone who hasn't started medical school yet is telling a rising M4 student what to do. It's easy for an attending to be stronger. They've been through so much that they've learned either how to detach themselves, or they're mostly desensitized. So an attending telling you not to cry is like telling you not to dry heave when pus from an anal abscess squirts in your face. There are some reactions that are visceral and that can't, and shouldn't, be held back. Come talk to me when you've had more experience as a REAL medical provider. Volunteering in the ER is a joke compared to what you experience as a medical student.
And most importantly, there's nothing wrong with people seeing you cry. It shows you're human. It shows that you're still affected by human tragedy. It shows a patient is more than a case that you need to treat and get on his way. But, I'm sure you'll learn that when you have more experience.

Lastly, I encourage you to go the "Student Doctor Forum" and read the posts under Emergency Medicine. You will read tons of stories by both medical students, and ER attendings where showing emotion is something that is NOT looked down upon. After you read those stories, tell me what you think.

i have also been an EMT for about 5 years so i do more than just volunteer and my volunteering consisted of being a spanish interpreter....please dont be so harsh to judge someone just because they havent started medical school yet.

I think it's truly amusing how someone who hasn't started medical school yet is telling a rising M4 student what to do. It's easy for an attending to be stronger. They've been through so much that they've learned either how to detach themselves, or they're mostly desensitized. So an attending telling you not to cry is like telling you not to dry heave when pus from an anal abscess squirts in your face. There are some reactions that are visceral and that can't, and shouldn't, be held back. Come talk to me when you've had more experience as a REAL medical provider. Volunteering in the ER is a joke compared to what you experience as a medical student.
And most importantly, there's nothing wrong with people seeing you cry. It shows you're human. It shows that you're still affected by human tragedy. It shows a patient is more than a case that you need to treat and get on his way. But, I'm sure you'll learn that when you have more experience.

Lastly, I encourage you to go the "Student Doctor Forum" and read the posts under Emergency Medicine. You will read tons of stories by both medical students, and ER attendings where showing emotion is something that is NOT looked down upon. After you read those stories, tell me what you think.

Take it easy on batgirl, BB. Her post did not sound critical or judgemental so why are you flaming her so harshly? I happen to think she offered some good advice. It's not going to help your patients if you're an emotional wreck all the time. Learning to detach or compartmentalize is crucial to survival in the medical field, as you will no doubt learn once you have a little bit more experience under your belt.

Just a thought----are you as a medical student supposed to talk about patients??? Does this man know you posted information on him on this board? Many of my friends are in the medical field and their is a privacy policy where doctors, ect... are not supposed to disclose any information on any patients without their consent. As inspirational you may find this man and others are touched by what you wrote I think you should think twice or talk to you supervisors about what information you are allowed to give to strangers about patients under your care. If it was me I would not want any medical person posting my personal information on the internet or to anyone.

Wow.

Lots of harsh words on what started out as a beautiful thread.

She did not identify the patient she was talking about, she crossed no line. She did not do anything inappropriate.

As for those who bashed the OP for crying....she was NOT an "emotional wreck" as one poster stated. She had an appropriate and HUMAN reaction. While those in certain professions must "compartmentalize" to some extent to get through the day...that doesn't mean losing your humanity.

Thank you for sharing this beautiful story. Your patient sounds like a heartbreakingly wonderful person and you are obviously a compassionate carer.

I am a paediatrician and I can relate to being inspired by the human spirit so regularly.By the children all the time,and by their parents very often too. It makes all the difficulties worthwhile. I haven't found that my level of compassion has diminished in the 7 years since I finished my residency and I hope that it never does.

To whomever asked,it is not illegal for medical professionals to anonymously discuss cases they have seen. Bluebunny has identified neither herself nor her patient,so there's no confidential information here.

Wow.

Lots of harsh words on what started out as a beautiful thread.

She did not identify the patient she was talking about, she crossed no line. She did not do anything inappropriate.

As for those who bashed the OP for crying....she was NOT an "emotional wreck" as one poster stated. She had an appropriate and HUMAN reaction. While those in certain professions must "compartmentalize" to some extent to get through the day...that doesn't mean losing your humanity.

Hey Leah,

I was concerned about the same thing when I read this just because in my profession I deal with medical issues as well. Medical professionals are subject to ethics rules and also HIPAA laws nowadays. The detail about this man's medical condition/medical history that was posted here, IMHO, is probably not very appropriate. I realize the OP meant well, but it would be easy to identify this person being that his medical issues are very distinct.

Hope I didn't offend anyone by mentioning this.

hmm. perhaps the penis part could have been omitted now that I think twice about it. his other conditions were heartbreaking enough. oh well, live and learn.

Gosh, I'm not disputing that this person is probably a wonderful and brave man. What I am saying is that it is a small world and this is the internet. Being that he has a profound handicap that is described in detail (along with his initial) someone who knows this person may see this, and that would be bad for the OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.