One of my pet peeves...

The other thing that drives me absolutely up a wall is incorrect use of apostrophes! I'd rather they be left out all together than used wrong! I see an email in my inbox right now with the subject line "Mood Swing's." I probably won't even open it because in the event it is funny or interesting, I'll have to change the subject line before I send it out! Don't people know that apostrophes are used to show possession or when you're using a contraction? To my knowledge, that's it. They're not for plurals!

I also don't like when one word is used in the place of another that sounds the same - there instead of their, etc. I was catching up on my Dr. Phils on DVR last night and one of the shows, after commercial, they kept putting Whose to Blame or something like that on the screen - Whose instead of Who's. Don't they pay people to edit that stuff?

Mods, please feel free to move this if it's in the wrong place...

Does anyone else get really annoyed reading emails, text messages, and online discussions where the sender uses "internet slang?" :yucky:

I am getting so sick of seeing things like: ur, u, ure, etc. It would take me longer to figure out a "cute" way to say you than just to type it. It's 3 letters! Come on! How much time does it save to type 1 letter instead of 3?

I'm all for cute little abbreviations - KWIM, IMO, etc., but I just don't understand shortening you, your, you're, etc.

Sorry for the vent. I'm pretty anal about grammar and spelling - guess that's where it comes from. I have gotten to the point where I won't even respond to texts I get that aren't written in plain English.

Yep, drives me absolutely insane. Sometimes I don't even read posts if they include too much of that because I can hardly understand what is being said.

On a message board like this, grammatical errors or typos aren't a big deal. I make them and almost everyone else does at some point, too. But when I see errors in formal letters, advertising or in newspapers I really get annoyed! Newspapers and advertisers pay editors to avoid those things.

:lol:

I make my share of typos on message boards and e-mails because I don't proof it, just type it and let it go. I did recently see an attorney's website that was full of typos and it drove me nuts! I thought about e-mailing the firm and telling them, but I thought I might come off as a smartass so I didn't. But I'm a court reporter, I'm paid to notice things like that!

Oh and what the heck does "pwned" mean? That's not a word!

Means "owned" which means the person who says they "pwned" someone thinks they are so great, brought someone down so hard, they now "own" that person's cyberworld. (Found this out the hard way.)

I agree with the OP... the use of abbreviations such as "ur" for your (or you're, I'm not sure which at times) and "r" for are to me seems juvenile.

And like you, I have NO idea who to text someone. Just the other day, while trying to play a bowling game on my 20 dollar cheapie cell phone, I discovered I DID have text capabilities on it. I've never used it though, have no idea how to.

One of the problems I have and you all have probably noticed is, I type too fast and end up making spelling errors. Honest I don't mean to, and by the time I notice it, I can't go back and edit it. So I apologize here and now. It was not meant to be. I can also still blame it on the soup incident some months ago. :P

One more thing about the "r' and "ur" and "l8r"... some folks who have dislexia like I do confuse the letters completely and will think you've said something esle, thereby starting a flaming arguement that all started because of a simple misunderstanding.

This used to really baffle me until I got a blackberry (and disabled T9 because I can never get it to work for me). When chatting with my friends, I have, unfortunately, lapsed into "ur" and "u." I would never do this when sending a professional email. But what's the big deal? Especially between friends?

I've said this before when one of these threads pop up because these threads commenting on OTHER people's use of language (which is a passive act that really needn't bother anyone to the point of ranting about it).

It's very rare that the people pointing fingers at others who use incorrect grammar, punctuation, etc., are experts in the art of the English language themselves. Not to mention, people make harmless mistakes that doesn't serve as evidence of their lack of intelligence. It's often just a temporary brain fart.

Abbreviations really do not bother me. In fact, how other people choose to write or speak does not bother me.

Not trying to flame anyone, but I think it's very interesting what we can and cannot criticize. It seems fine to openly criticize an individual for her use of incorrect grammar, punctuation, etc. -- things that often stem from education and upbringing.

Not to mention, I can name many, many PFers who are wonderful contributors and wonderful people who think using "ur" and "KWIM" are perfectly acceptable. Seems rather impolite to me to put them all down publically.

It's really all relative. I imagine a Boston Brahmin with an Andover and Oxford education thinks *we* are rather unclever in our use of English.

When chatting with my friends, I have, unfortunately, lapsed into "ur" and "u." I would never do this when sending a professional email. But what's the big deal? Especially between friends?

I agree. It really doesn't bother me much, I have other pet peeves though (tons of cc offers in the mail, when people cancel last minute for lame reasons, people who are late!!!!)

I'm a teacher too, but the typing lingo still doesn't bother me. Maybe because I teach chemistry where I can use formulas in lieu of writing out chemical names...I'm kind of lazy? :shrugs:

It doesn't bother me one way or another but if the person I'm in contact with hates those abbreviations, I'm careful to respect her wishes.