One more diamond stud earring question! (and visit to Tiffany's!)

surfergirljen

Ooooh, pretty!
O.G.
Feb 24, 2009
One more diamond stud earring question!

I've decided I really want to go for the best cut and colour I can afford... which is looking like Signature Ideal (blue nile ex ex ex) G's (they do not make signature ideal H's or I would have done it!) in a VS2 (again they actually do not carry sign. ideals in SI clarity or I'd have considered that based on what everyone has said here!).

I went to Tiffany's yesterday and looked at their diamond studs and they let me look at e-rings for colour differences as well and I'd totally go with H's if they had them as I couldn't see the difference... but that's fine! G it is! Will match my e'ring. ;)

MY BIG QUESTION IS: would you spend an additional $1700 to go from 1.2 total carat weight earrings to 1.4? (if these were your lifelong earrings. Price is an issue, but I would rather spend it and not regret it if that was the right choice). As far as I can tell that puts them .3 mm apart in size. Is it worth it?? It would take the diamonds from about $4100 to about $5800. Would you do it or save your $$?

ALSO - Okay I bought my ering at TIffany's and will never regret it b/c I love the design, service etc. etc. BUT ... LOL I compared the EXACT SAME EARRINGS from Tiffanys with the same specs/sig ideal ones from blue nile - and I mean down to the 4c's etc etc... and they were around $7 K at Blue Nile and $15,000 at Tiffany's!!! :nuts: For earrings! That little blue box isn't worth THAT MUCH for me on earrings!!!

Here's my thought....take it or leave it!!!

I would personally NOT spend the additional $$$ as I think the 1.2's will be STUNNING! But you know yourself best.....take your e-ring for example......you upgraded as you always regretted not getting the larger stone.

Soooooo........................if size matters (and for many of us including me, it does!), grab the larger ones while you can and don't look back....cause I tell you......you will drive us CRAZY later.....as I have here with some members about halo-ing or not-halo-ing my ring! :nuts:

But I agree with you on this: the price-tag for the blue-box is sheer insanity....and meant for those who really don't want to or wish to go elsewhere. Simple.

Heck.....I say if you're saving this much already by NOT going to Tiff's, then what's another $1700? Kwim???!!!! ;)

Last edited:
$1700 is a very big jump! You can get a nice pendant at that price. I just looked and you can get a signature ideal, F, .54ct at that price.

You crack me up!

Between Sufergirl's earrings, Ame's, Frankie's, Swanky's, Lanasyogamama's ring....my band, halo/no halo, your pendant......etc......it's easy to see how we could very easily become..........:nuts:

But I LOVE these discussions!!!!

I would not spend more on larger. But that's me. I like smaller studs.

I have smaller studs as well. My lobes are tiny too, so I didn't want anything to overwhelm my ear.....plus I love wearing them everyday...and I can sleep with them on no problem.

I have larger CZ studs that look fake in my ear.....not because they're CZ's....but b/c of the size.

But we're all different :biggrin:

My ideal tcw for studs would be 1.75. I went from 1.02 to 1.3 a year or so ago and I could see a huge difference. However, not a single person commented, so no one else noticed? Or maybe it was weird to say "your studs look bigger today."

Here's my thought....take it or leave it!!!

I would personally NOT spend the additional $$$ as I think the 1.2's will be STUNNING! But you know yourself best.....take your e-ring for example......you upgraded as you always regretted not getting the larger stone.

Soooooo........................if size matters (and for many of us including me, it does!), grab the larger ones while you can and don't look back....cause I tell you......you will drive us CRAZY later.....as I have here with some members about halo-ing or not-halo-ing my ring! :nuts:

But I agree with you on this: the price-tag for the blue-box is sheer insanity....and meant for those who really don't want to or wish to go elsewhere. Simple.

Heck.....I say if you're saving this much already by NOT going to Tiff's, then what's another $1700? Kwim???!!!! ;)

HAHAHA Contessa you are so funny - such an enabler!! ^^^ :P I like your logic! Except that if you heard the logic of how I'm even justifying THESE you'd laugh... I bought the Tiffany Medium Diamond Cross a few weeks ago and the NEXT DAY found one on ebay (totally legit, have had it checked at Tiffany's) for exactly 50% off!! That's why I was at Tiffany's yesterday, returning the original one, saving myself $2800 - which is where I got my initial "budget" for new earrings. Not that I should have spent ANY money on the cross in the first place!! haha... but somehow the savings on the cross became my budget for earrings! Which I've obviously already surpassed so I think maybe I should stick to the ideal ideal ideal all across the board 1.20tcw ones and be happy! :P

I don't think that this one will drive me crazy if I don't get the bigger ones, not for that size difference anyway... with my e-ring I wasn't satisfied until I got one as big as I could afford without feeling sick over the price... but that's an e-ring. :smile:

For what it's worth, I think you should leave your ring as is - it is SO PRETTY!!!

HAHAHA Contessa you are so funny - such an enabler!! ^^^ :P I like your logic! Except that if you heard the logic of how I'm even justifying THESE you'd laugh... I bought the Tiffany Medium Diamond Cross a few weeks ago and the NEXT DAY found one on ebay (totally legit, have had it checked at Tiffany's) for exactly 50% off!! That's why I was at Tiffany's yesterday, returning the original one, saving myself $2800 - which is where I got my initial "budget" for new earrings. Not that I should have spent ANY money on the cross in the first place!! haha... but somehow the savings on the cross became my budget for earrings! Which I've obviously already surpassed so I think maybe I should stick to the ideal ideal ideal all across the board 1.20tcw ones and be happy! :P

I don't think that this one will drive me crazy if I don't get the bigger ones, not for that size difference anyway... with my e-ring I wasn't satisfied until I got one as big as I could afford without feeling sick over the price... but that's an e-ring. :smile:

For what it's worth, I think you should leave your ring as is - it is SO PRETTY!!!

You are a Sweet-:heart: !!

Cannot wait to see your 1.2 tcw studs!!!! I know they'll be fabulous!!!!

Hmmmmmmm......wonder if I can locate a Novo online somewhere.....great idea!!!!!

Here's my opinion since I just went through this process this summer. I originally purchased 1.2cttw Kwiat earrings at the Nordstrom sale. I had debated between them and the 1.5cttw for some time. I got the 1.2's home and I just had this feeling that I should have spent the additional money to to get the 1.5's. I took the 1.2's back, purchased the 1.5's and felt they were worth every penny for the size difference. I noticed a HUGE difference in my ears.

I would suggest that you go somewhere that will let you try on a 1.2 and a 1.4. You will know after seeing them in your ears I think.

Congratulations...I wear mine every day!

Ame, oh no! That would be terrible. Although I love the size that I have now it's nice to know that option exists. I'll have to ask the lady I worked with. Thanks for the heads up.