One more auction with H items

matt-g

Jan 8, 2009
If you can deal with the potential for bad Karma...

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601088&sid=avEl5w9nUSGE

Madoff’s 17 Rolexes, Her Furs, Hermes Set for Auction

Nov. 10 (Bloomberg) -- A tea service, an Oyster chronograph watch and assorted ashtrays once used by Bernard and Ruth Madoff will be auctioned on Nov. 14 at the Sheraton New York Hotel & Towers to benefit victims of his $65 billion Ponzi scheme.

Bernard Madoff, 71, had 17 Rolexes, including the Oyster chronograph estimated to fetch as much as $63,500. He also dressed his wrist with seven Cartier watches, and tickers from Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet and Franck Muller.

Almost all those watchmakers are in or near Geneva, a city where financial institutions -- including Union Bancaire Privee, Genevalor Benbassat & Cie. and Hyposwiss Private Bank Ltd. -- lost about $7 billion from investments with Madoff, undermining confidence in the fund-of-hedge-funds model that Geneva’s bankers helped pioneer in the 1960s.

The Nov. 14 auction offers 150 to 200 lots documenting the Madoffs’ obsessive acquisition of brand-name products. On the block are 11 leather Hermes handbags owned by Ruth Madoff, 68, as well as bags by Chanel, Prada, Jil Sander, Judith Leiber, Bottega Veneta and Louis Vuitton.
The listing of lots can be found here:

http://www.txauction.com/auction_details.cfm?id=5

Click on "Auction Catalog" to download a pdf. The bags don't have names associated with them, so you'll have to go by the dimensions and descriptions.

If you can deal with the potential for bad Karma...

I was thinking about this earlier and decided its not bad karma because you will actually be helping his victims -- these sales will help them at least partially recoup their losses... if there is something I want, I will definitely try to buy it.

^ What do you mean? :confused1:

The majority of the items in this auction don't add up.

For instance, you don't think Ruth had a birkin or a kelly? I am sure she had at least one of each. And what about the fake Cartier love bracelet. I think not... Also, I suspect she had a pair of diamond studs that were more than 4cts tw? I think there are photos with her wearing studs that were much larger than that. Or her pearls - Sorry, but a woman who lived her lifestyle had several strands of south seas - not just two strands of baroques that look as if they came out a box of cracker jacks. And what's with all the crosses - The Madoff's are Jewish... or did they denounce Judaism when he decided it was more lucrative to just rip off the Jews? and that's just a few examples...

Don't get me wrong, there are a number of items that seem quite appropriate -- but there are too many other lots that just don't make sense - and even more lots that seem to be missing. IMHO either they (more likely the Madoffs) (or possibly the Feds?) stashed all of the really good stuff somewhere, or there is a much better auction coming soon!!

Last edited:
US marshals wrote these descriptions, which I'm guessing is why they read so...strange. It looks like you can get a real catalog if you register as a bidder. The site also indicates this auction includes other stuff, not just things seized from the Madoffs.

Some of the bags sound like kellys and plumes, maybe she just wasn't into birkins? Can't imagine her sneaking out too many birkins unless she "gifted" them prior to the lockdown. It's not like the us marshals would notice the difference

US marshals wrote these descriptions, which I'm guessing is why they read so...strange. It looks like you can get a real catalog if you register as a bidder. The site also indicates this auction includes other stuff, not just things seized from the Madoffs.

A ha - I hadn't seen the reference to "other stuff" being included. I suspected as much - it makes sense in looking at that "collection."

I also wouldn't be surprised if we learn of another auction, or something, in the future - there's more out there - somewhere...

Some of the bags sound like kellys and plumes, maybe she just wasn't into birkins? Can't imagine her sneaking out too many birkins unless she "gifted" them prior to the lockdown. It's not like the us marshals would notice the difference

Not sure if you realize this, but you can view the entire catalogue with photos of each item. Once you choose the auction on the home page, another page opens and on the upper right hand side of the page, there is a button that says View Pictures. Next, the catalogue comes up and all of the lots have photographs with the descriptions. You can even zoom in on things.

If you saw that already, please ignore my instruction.

I have attached the photos of all of the H bags here as well

Attachments

• 319_tn.JPG.jpeg
    319_tn.JPG.jpeg
    17.3 KB · Views: 57
  • 323_tn.JPG.jpeg
    323_tn.JPG.jpeg
    18 KB · Views: 58
  • 320_tn.JPG.jpeg
    320_tn.JPG.jpeg
    17.1 KB · Views: 52
  • 317_tn.JPG.jpeg