One H Bag or Many Others?

chandra920

Feb 17, 2016
I keep find myself with this dilemma and I was wondering if anyone could provide some insight? I have a small variety of bags by LV, BV, Celine and Chanel. I do not have limitless disposable income (or closet space) so I usually subscribe to a one in one out sort of mantra. I keep being drawn to the Halzan and Lindy, but I haven’t taken the plunge to buy one because one of those bags is easily worth 2-3 of my other bags and I feel a little guilty about that kind of splurge. Does anyone else feel that way? Would you rather have one beautiful H bag or a couple (also beautiful) other bags? Are the non-B/K/C bags by Hermes worth it, or are they just a gateway for quota bags? I can’t think of two bags from my current collection that I am ready to get rid of, so I would likely sell one bag and then save up for the extra investment.

I’ve long had an interest in Hermes but it took me a long time to actually take the plunge because I wanted to be financially ready. I have also reached a point where I was ready to cut down my collection to my “essentials” :smile: Of course, what we deem as an essential bag to us is a personal choice.

You mentioned you keep being drawn to the Halzan and Lindy- it seems they’re really calling to you! Why not give it some time if you really don’t want to sell anything from your current collection to fund your H bag? Enjoy your current bags, but at the same time, keep saving into your H Funds for that future purchase.

I have a GP and 2 Evies, and I can say that these none B/K/C are truly worth it in terms of quality and usage. I inherited the 1st Evie and it was my constant use of it that convinced me to buy another one for myself.

I also subscribe to the 'small but perfectly formed closet' mentality, perhaps not strictly but in spirit. :smile:the contents of our wardrobe need a certain fluidity to stay current. of course this doesn't mean chasing every crazy trend, but just looking objectively into items that get regular use. If you just need one bag, buy one, if your lifestyle demands two then obviously you need to get two, but not for the sake of it.

I think you have answered your dilemma . Since you don't have 2 bags that you are inclined to part with
to fund your potential H bag & you are drawn to the Lindy & Halzan, I would ask you have you seen the
bags up close & personal to see if they would work for you in your lifestyle?
I favor the Kelly bag & I do have other bags another favorite being Myriam Schaefer which works for me
I would tell you from my perspective the H bags are special, beautiful, timeless, chic & whether you choose
just one or are lucky to have multiples, they are a joy to have & wear. Just be sure this is what you want &
are not caught up in the H craze to have a bag.

Hi! I do have a few Hermes bags including the halzan. I did have the same guilty feeling about the price of their bags but then I realized that the prices for the other brands currently (like Chanel) are getting to the Hermes price range but without the Hermes quality. There are bags from Hermes that aren’t quota bags (b/k/c) that I believe are worth the price like the halzan but others that are a bit over priced like the lindy.

If you’re open to buying secondhand for either the bags you could get a decent discount (depending on what size and colour you are looking for) so it can make the jump to buying these bags a bit easier than buying them at full price in store.

Quality and craftsmanship of Hermès is second to none compared to the other brands you have mentioned, which I also love and collect - so no bias. It’s what makes Hermès special and of course, generally more expensive. If you’re currently happy with your bag collection and feel that you’re missing an Hermès piece, then I’d say go for it as long as you really love the Lindy or Halzan. If you’re open to preloved, I also suggest going that route since the Lindy and Halzan’s resale value is at par with some of the brands you’ve mentioned. To answer your question if buying non b/k/c Hermès bags are worth it, I’d definitely say yes. Especially with my Lindy as it is my most used bag for it’s the most comfortable and practical bag. I use it more than any of my other Birkins or Kelly’s. Good luck on your decision!

Last edited:
So many good responses! I think it comes down to being disenchanted by other brands right now. I read something recently about how Chanel demands such high prices and they don’t even consider themselves a leather goods brand and I had to totally agree. The difference in quality is noticeable. I’ve taken to a few well made Celine bags lately, but what I really want is beautiful craftsmanship. It might be time to save a little extra. As I get older, I’m less interested in what other people think of my things and more interested in what I think.

I've been building my collection for nearly 20 years now. I've bought and sold so many bags over the years. I have lots of bags by lots of brands (mostly LV but also Chanel, Dior, Gucci, Prada, Chloe, etc). I got my first H bag a little over a year ago and as others have said, nothing compares in terms of quality. Now I want to downsize my large collection and purchase another H or two.
For many years I enjoyed rotating between lots of different bags, but lately I feel having a few terrific bags that you use and love is enough. Of course everyone is different and it took me a long time to come to this conclusion for myself.
So to answer your question I would rather have one H bag than many others that I'm not in love with.

Depending on your lifestyle many of the non quota bags could be a great choice. I love the GP, Roulis and Evelyne. Given my lifestyle and climate I haven’t found one bag that suits every situation but I prefer fewer bags I truly love to having a wide range of bags but that’s just me. Lots of people prefer variety. If I had to pare down my collection I would keep a sellier Kelly, one Evelyne and one GP.

I am one of those who has trouble parting with any bag I have ever bought. So my advice would be to buy what you truly want but not what is economical. If you really want that H bag, then save up and get it, instead of buying 2-3 bags that are cheaper but not really what you want. To ensure you do not feel guilty or have any regret, research and make sure you do know what you want before taking the plunge.

I used to have LV, chanel and Prada bags. I took the plunge and bought a Hermes Lindy. I was lucky enough to buy a Birkin shortly afterwards. At this point I sold 14 Chanel, LV and Prada bags and just had two Hermes for quite some time. I have bought the odd LV since, but tire of them and sell them. Other than that I only buy Hermes bags. I buy the odd new one, collection grows a bit, then I have a purge and sell a few as my tastes change, or to fund a new purchase. I currently only have 3 bags, the most I have ever owned is 6 Hermes at any one time. I don’t tire of the brand and don’t feel like I don’t have enough bags. I’m glad I moved to Hermes, no regrets.