On The Wings Of Homelessness

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do any of you have the illegals hanging out in a particular corner of a particular part of town where they wait for anyone to come pick them up for day labor?

We have several locations here, and also have seen them in different cities i visited.

My dad has used them quite often, and as a matter of fact, has about 5 that he picks up from their trailers, gives them jobs to do, takes them home and feeds them every day.

He of course trusts them completely, although there are a couple of them that are not allowed to come to my parents house without my dad being there.

He pays them very well; but it is hard labor.....rock work and building fences, etc. They don't seem to mind and my dad says they work hard. They work with him until its time to go back to Mexico for a few months and then return.

There has been a couple of times he has had to fire one or two because they try to take advantage of my dad's good nature. I am afraid sometimes because they could do harm to him if they were to get really pissed. He also carries quite a bit of cash in his pocket because he pays them daily in cash, and he never fails to pull the wad out in front of them. You just never know how desperate any one of them can get and attack my dad for the money.

He has been doing this for years, so I pray they appreciate his kindness and don't hurt him.

I don't understand what you are trying to say here? That your dad is good because he employs illegal aliens? I'll tell you my honest opinion about a lot of people I know who do employ illegal aliens, and it's not out of a sense of charity for their homelessness by any means, but because the employers gain much by underpaying them and not paying the government the taxes they would if they had workers 'on the books'.

As a legal alien who resides in the US, and someone who has to jump through legal hoop to retain status, and who pays money for aforesaid jumping through hoops, I would rather not discuss the other aspects of illegality since my views on the subject are rather strong.

Wow, this did turn into a heated debate, and I think i came across completely opposite of what I intended.

I am thrilled that my dad and others here help out in any way they can; and I if could personally, I would.

My point, and the difference in my homelss thread, was that these guys actually have a home, but cannot get a real job because they are illegal. All they want is to work hard and be paid so they can help their families in Mexico. I truly admire that. They are for the most part, the nicest human beings around, except for a couple, who have come across as ungrateful and mean. I am not trying to turn this into my family does everything, merely stating that kind hearts like theirs can really make a diffrence in their lives.

My point, and the difference in my homelss thread, was that these guys actually have a home, but cannot get a real job because they are illegal. All they want is to work hard and be paid so they can help their families in Mexico. I truly admire that. They are for the most part, the nicest human beings around, except for a couple, who have come across as ungrateful and mean. I am not trying to turn this into my family does everything, merely stating that kind hearts like theirs can really make a diffrence in their lives.

Then maybe you should change the title to "On the wings of Joblessness" ?

Wow, this did turn into a heated debate, and I think i came across completely opposite of what I intended.

I am thrilled that my dad and others here help out in any way they can; and I if could personally, I would.

No offense Abby girl, but when you bring up the subject of illegal immigrants to a forum with thousands of people on it, did you not expect it to devolved into a heated debate? People feel very strongly about several of the subjects you have brought up in threads this past few days. I think it's a little strange how most of them have spiraled out of control. Maybe think before you post a thread, such as this one, that I still don't get the point of.

I understand your father must be a compassionate human to hire illegal immigrants? If two are bothering him with their ungratefulness, then maybe he shouldn't employ them any longer?

I'm glad you posted this because your original post made you come off like a jerk. I have lived in several countries and each time had to jump through administrative hurdles in order to work and support myself. Even with the benefit of an education, wealth (relatively speaking), resources, etc... it is not easy.

Most of "them" just want to support their families and they are willing to do the work that "we" will not do to achieve that end. I have strong opinions on illegal immigration which I will not outline here. However, I will say that when we begin to make broad brush statements about "them" (whoever they may be) we lose our humanity.

"We" are "them."

As the daughter of a legal immigrant to the US, a legal immigrant to my new country Canada, and as a lawyer, I have absolutely no patience for those who skip administrative, legal, and monetary hurdles to sneak into a new country. Sorry. There are laws and most people abide by them.

It drives me crazy (more paranoid) when I hear how much cash people carry around.

You can'te get your father to carry less cash? (like stick a dollar bill over his stack to make it look like he just carries ones)

My Little brother[actually 21] is like that, he likes to carry a large amount of cash (like $200-300) and it makes me crazy because you hear stories of robberies.

I had this AWFUL nightmare that my mom and brother and myself were in a stopped car one night ready to head out, when this guy came out of nowhere walked up to us and asked us if we had change for a five. Well my little brother said he did and got out the car and took out his money. Then the guy pulled out a gun and aimed it at his head....I woke up very shooked up!!

I called my brother (he is away in college) and told him to give anybody money if they asked it.

^^^I don't really know what the thread is about LOL

I will say 2 things.....

1. Just because someone is standing around looking for work doesn't mean they are illegals

2. Just because someone is Mexican does not mean they are illegal (or for that matter...the color of someone's skin does not identify someone as an immigrant or illegal. I'm a white Canadian and I'm an immigrant).

You made 2 huge broad sweeping generalizations in your post.

No offense Abby girl, but when you bring up the subject of illegal immigrants to a forum with thousands of people on it, did you not expect it to devolved into a heated debate? People feel very strongly about several of the subjects you have brought up in threads this past few days. I think it's a little strange how most of them have spiraled out of control. Maybe think before you post a thread, such as this one, that I still don't get the point of.

ITA

PinkSuade: Girl...I can completely sympathize! We also had to go through so much for me to immigrate to the US as well!!!!!! I am eligible for citizenship but am avoiding it just because of everything that happened when I was applying for my green card. I have this total fear of being deported for no reason! It's awful!

^^I guess this thread is about joblessness, which is another topic following homelessness. Abbygirl's dad is kind enough to help illegal immigrants by employing them, and he has done this for many years. He pays them in cash. Illegal immigrants are are nice people and they work hard , except for a few who are mean and ungrateful.

Abbygirl is worried that since her dad has fired some of these people they might try to hurt him, and she hopes that he will be safe.

(I also hope that he will be safe from the INS/ICE)

Status
Not open for further replies.