On the look for a new setting...

ame

O.G.
Mar 22, 2007
My rings unfortunately got a little misshapen in my recent car accident, and while the Tiffany band is being taken care of right now, my eng ring setting was what got the most of it, likely from my fingers being "squeezed" so tightly around the wheel while trying to stop and avoid the situation. The one side was left a little flat, and it's out of round. We sent it in to the designer, and while they said they can try to polish it to look more symmetrical, the only real option is a remake, because when you start trying to reshape something, especially something with wirework, you risk more issues cropping up.

So while I wait for my ring to return back here to the local jeweler from the designer's offices/workshop, so that we can send it in to my insurance company, I need to find a replacement. While I knew it was misshapen, I really didn't think it was beyond fixing and didn't expect that I would need to find something.

I am going to likely stay with a simple solitaire, I don't really want anything with stones on it. I did consider a three stone briefly, but that would make me nuts if anything was remotely "off."

What's your favorite solitaire setting?

I would like to stay 6 prong, and it has to be platinum bec I cannot wear gold against my skin (severe reactions to actual gold AND alloys).

You can't go wrong with a Danhov bezel, IMHO:

You might want a thicker wire, or rounded wire, etc. So chic:

http://www.danhov.com/engagement/view-all/danhov-per-lei-single-shank-engagement-ring-le100

Assuming the bezel actually came out THAT perfect, wow!

I am seriously feeling "trapped" if that makes any sense. NOTHING is "doing it for me." I am leaning towards a tiffany "knockoff" right now simply because it's simple and most vendors can set it high like I would prefer. But to say I love it and it makes my heart happy...not entirely. It's beautiful and this is the ultimate first world problem. :lol:

Assuming the bezel actually came out THAT perfect, wow!

I am seriously feeling "trapped" if that makes any sense. NOTHING is "doing it for me." I am leaning towards a tiffany "knockoff" right now simply because it's simple and most vendors can set it high like I would prefer. But to say I love it and it makes my heart happy...not entirely. It's beautiful and this is the ultimate first world problem. :lol:

First world problem, yes. But as much attention as you pay to your ring, you should LOVE it!! It took me a long time to figure out what I wanted when I reset my diamond. Don't rush it.

I definitely want to LOVE it. I love my stone for sure. I want IT to stand out. I like to see it, like the side view etc.

I seriously feel so unsettled after this thing. I am still dealing with the after-effects, I drive like grandma moses when I drive, and I don't really want to BE in a car or near cars. I don't want my family in cars or driving, I am a total freakshow regarding cars and driving right now. I keep having it replay in my head. I don't have my car replaced yet (well, we ordered one, it's just not here yet) and I am sharing my husbands wildly unreliable car or borrowing them or renting as needed, and then this stuff...I am a "closure" person. So until it's ALL done, I will feel like I am not settled. And I am sure I'll be a delight to be around in the car for a while. hah!

So sorry to hear about your accident. I understand being skittish after a traumatic event and playing it over and over in your head. Time will heal. And so will a great ring ;)

Hi ame. First I am so sorry for what you have been through. I completely understand how you feel about driving.I was were you are years ago and time will heal and the trauma will slowly be pushed back into the recesses of your brain. Your thread is timely for me. Today I took a two rings to a trusted jeweler - trusted being the operative word. I wanted the diamond taken out of one ring and put into the original ring where had been for 80 plus years. He insisted it would need 6 prongs, and that you wouldn't just see prongs - you would see the diamond and the ring. He is a master craftsman - so if you have that in your area and you trust the jeweler that might be exactly what you are looking for. All I am saying is - if are not sure - keep looking and thinking. You have time on your side.

Again, I am sorry for what you have been through. :heart:

I definitely want to LOVE it. I love my stone for sure. I want IT to stand out. I like to see it, like the side view etc.

I seriously feel so unsettled after this thing. I am still dealing with the after-effects, I drive like grandma moses when I drive, and I don't really want to BE in a car or near cars. I don't want my family in cars or driving, I am a total freakshow regarding cars and driving right now. I keep having it replay in my head. I don't have my car replaced yet (well, we ordered one, it's just not here yet) and I am sharing my husbands wildly unreliable car or borrowing them or renting as needed, and then this stuff...I am a "closure" person. So until it's ALL done, I will feel like I am not settled. And I am sure I'll be a delight to be around in the car for a while. hah!
First, I'm sorry for the mental trauma the accident has caused you. If you ever need anyone to speak to, you know where to find me.
As for settings, I really love the double prong Leon Mege does. A bezel might make you feel better about the security of the stone. And the 6 prong will suit your Tiffany band, but I would def consider a double prong. Can't wait to see what you decide on!

Hi ame. First I am so sorry for what you have been through. I completely understand how you feel about driving.I was were you are years ago and time will heal and the trauma will slowly be pushed back into the recesses of your brain. Your thread is timely for me. Today I took a two rings to a trusted jeweler - trusted being the operative word. I wanted the diamond taken out of one ring and put into the original ring where had been for 80 plus years. He insisted it would need 6 prongs, and that you wouldn't just see prongs - you would see the diamond and the ring. He is a master craftsman - so if you have that in your area and you trust the jeweler that might be exactly what you are looking for. All I am saying is - if are not sure - keep looking and thinking. You have time on your side.

Again, I am sorry for what you have been through. :heart:

Thank you! I actually DON'T have a trusted jeweler. I have been burned SO many time by benchies that were so amazing one time and so not amazing many others.