On the Fence About Lady Dior. Some Questions

Jul 26, 2013
Hi Dior experts! I am new to Dior and have been obsessing about a black lambskin Lady Dior in medium silver hardware. I was debating between a Chanel reissue and the Lady Dior and I ended up buying the reissue. However, I can't get the LD out of my mind. I really want one and although I can afford it I do feel like maybe I am being too extravagant and maybe I am just caught up with the mystique of buying one. I am a mommy of a toddler so maybe that will also affect your recommendation.

Some of my questions are

1. For LD owners, how often do you actually use the bag? I don't want another beautiful bag that sits in my closet.

2. Would it be too difficult to insert and retrieve a bulky sunglasses case?

3. While Dior lambskin is more durable than Chanel's, do you find that you have to baby the bag?

4. Do you use your LD as a special occasion bag or an everyday one?

5. Should the price increases each year make me buy one now versus later?

6. Any moms with small children, do you ever wear your LD with your kids?

Thank you so much!!

Here are my thoughts:

1. For LD owners, how often do you actually use the bag? I don't want another beautiful bag that sits in my closet.

I don't own the bag so I can't comment on how often I use it (I'm a guy), but I can say that how often you use a bag depends all on you. Some people may not use their Lady Dior often because they save it for special occasions or are afraid of wear and tear, while others use it everyday for work or because they can't fathom the idea of spending $4000 on a bag that will just sit in their closet.

Yes, it would not be as easy to retrieve a bulky sunglasses case as compared to open-top totes, but you'll get used to it. Just like the Chanel Classic Flap can be difficult to get in and out of with its two flaps and turn-lock closure, but most people just get used to it.

3. While Dior lambskin is more durable than Chanel's, do you find that you have to baby the bag?

You should always treat lambskin with care. Lambskin is prized for its soft supple luxurious feel, but not for its resistance to scratches. If you avoid bumping the corners of the bag against other objects, and avoid getting your nails in direct contact with the lambskin, then the lambskin should age fine.

Have you considered patent leather? It's much more scratch resistant than lambskin, and the Lady Dior has amazing patent leather options.

Again, it depends on you entirely. If you choose to make it your everyday bag, then it will be used everyday.

Yes, you should buy it now versus later. This is especially true if you see a seasonal colour that you like, because they usually sell out really quickly.

If you can use a Reissue around your kids, then you can definitely use a Lady Dior around them.

Here are my thoughts:

I don't own the bag so I can't comment on how often I use it (I'm a guy), but I can say that how often you use a bag depends all on you. Some people may not use their Lady Dior often because they save it for special occasions or are afraid of wear and tear, while others use it everyday for work or because they can't fathom the idea of spending $4000 on a bag that will just sit in their closet.

Yes, it would not be as easy to retrieve a bulky sunglasses case as compared to open-top totes, but you'll get used to it. Just like the Chanel Classic Flap can be difficult to get in and out of with its two flaps and turn-lock closure, but most people just get used to it.

You should always treat lambskin with care. Lambskin is prized for its soft supple luxurious feel, but not for its resistance to scratches. If you avoid bumping the corners of the bag against other objects, and avoid getting your nails in direct contact with the lambskin, then the lambskin should age fine.

Have you considered patent leather? It's much more scratch resistant than lambskin, and the Lady Dior has amazing patent leather options.

Again, it depends on you entirely. If you choose to make it your everyday bag, then it will be used everyday.

Yes, you should buy it now versus later. This is especially true if you see a seasonal colour that you like, because they usually sell out really quickly.

If you can use a Reissue around your kids, then you can definitely use a Lady Dior around them.
Thank you Averagejoe!! You are the best. So helpful always :smile:

I was planning on using it on weekends, out alone or with girlfriends, or to dinner with my DH and DD (taking to a restaurant is fine, the playground not so much). I admit that while I would normally wait a decent amount of time between bags, the price increases are freaking me out a little.

imo, if you can't decide, whether or not to buy an LD... there's no harm in taking as much time as you need, to carefully consider your decision.

Hi Dior experts! I am new to Dior and have been obsessing about a black lambskin Lady Dior in medium silver hardware. I was debating between a Chanel reissue and the Lady Dior and I ended up buying the reissue. However, I can't get the LD out of my mind. I really want one and although I can afford it I do feel like maybe I am being too extravagant and maybe I am just caught up with the mystique of buying one. I am a mommy of a toddler so maybe that will also affect your recommendation.

Some of my questions are

Many women find the medium to be too small as a practical, everyday bag. It requires a form of "tetris" to use the space efficiently. Unfortunately, any time that you need to retrieve something - requires undoing and redoing the "tretris" puzzle. Needless to say, it doesn't take women long to adjust... by carrying less, to accomodate the "structure" of this bag.

Alternatively, the large is much easier to use as a "practical" bag.

If the sunglasses case is the only thing that you're toting, then you'll be fine. But if you plan on "filling" up your bag, a sunglasses case will only be easy to insert and retrieve, if you leave it on top.

The opening, while stiff at first, will soften and loosen over time with use.

Durability has less to do with Dior lambskin vs Chanel lambskin. Rather, it has to due with bag structure and use. Moreover, wear is entirely dependent on the wearer. So the Lady Dior is not a bag that needs to be babied, per se, but it benefits from careful wear, maintenance, and storage.

Note, that when it comes to repair and refurbishment, lambskin is easier to repair and refurbish than patent.

I prefer smaller evening bags, so I've never found the medium LD suitable for special occasions. However, I have worn my LD as an "everyday" bag, for "light" or minimal load days.

While the interior volume of a medium LD is comparable to a larger Chanel, it's actually less functional than a Chanel flap... due to the entire "tetris" arrangement that I explained above.

Price increases are inevitable with every brand. It should never be a deciding or significant factor, imo. Inevitably, it creates undue "pressure" to purchase an item, without due consideration.

The truth is, that a bag that you want, will be worth it... at whatever price it's offered... when you want it. Whatever's holding you back from buying an LD... will keep holding you back... until you've made a decision one way or another.

Yes. I don't have any bags that I don't wear with my little one. I never have. However... for trips to the playground, amusement park, zoo, etc... I find "stealth" or non-designer bags much more suitable for me.

Thank you so much!!

GL. :smile:

Last edited:
imo, if you can't decide, whether or not to buy an LD... there's no harm in taking as much time as you need, to carefully consider your decision.

GL. :smile:
Thank you new mommy_va!! You've been very helpful and always take the time to answer my questions :hugs:

I think it boils down to guilt about buying another bag so soon and worries about its functionality. You're right though...I should think this over more carefully. :smile:

I use this occasionally when I don't need to carry much. It does sit in my closet more than I want it too. :sad:

At first maybe, but you will get use to it. I would say if you carry a lot this size is not practical. I agree with newmommy_va about the Tetris game in your purse! :lol:

I don't find it to be more durable, but the wear shows differently. Usually the corners get the damage first, sometimes the handles depending on how you carry the bag.

It's not something I wear to work, but I will wear shopping or going out to eat.

I don't think you should rationalize a purchase this way. Price increases happen to every design house, so it comes down to what you really think is worth spending your money on right now. I have made that mistake of feeling pressured and immediately felt guilty about my purchase. Take some time to think it over.

I use this occasionally when I don't need to carry much. It does sit in my closet more than I want it too. :sad:

At first maybe, but you will get use to it. I would say if you carry a lot this size is not practical. I agree with newmommy_va about the Tetris game in your purse! :lol:

I don't find it to be more durable, but the wear shows differently. Usually the corners get the damage first, sometimes the handles depending on how you carry the bag.

It's not something I wear to work, but I will wear shopping or going out to eat.

I don't think you should rationalize a purchase this way. Price increases happen to every design house, so it comes down to what you really think is worth spending your money on right now. I have made that mistake of feeling pressured and immediately felt guilty about my purchase. Take some time to think it over.
Thank you Nico_79--you've given me a lot to think about. I guess I heard about the imminent price increases and didn't want to pay more, but I am not 100% so I should wait. Plus if I really think about how much I've spent on bags this year...yikes.

I didn't even think about wear on the corners but that makes perfect sense.

Too bad LDs sit in dark closets...that may happen to me too since I would only use it on the weekends and I have my beloved Chanels I would also want to use. That is the terrible thing about a bag addiction. I have others bags that have taken a back seat to my Chanels recently but I still love them. Oh and how did the decision about the red jumbo go? Did you end up selling it?

Thank you Nico_79--you've given me a lot to think about. I guess I heard about the imminent price increases and didn't want to pay more, but I am not 100% so I should wait. Plus if I really think about how much I've spent on bags this year...yikes.

I didn't even think about wear on the corners but that makes perfect sense.

Too bad LDs sit in dark closets...that may happen to me too since I would only use it on the weekends and I have my beloved Chanels I would also want to use. That is the terrible thing about a bag addiction. I have others bags that have taken a back seat to my Chanels recently but I still love them. Oh and how did the decision about the red jumbo go? Did you end up selling it?

I think when you end up with 10 or more bags, there are always a bunch that get left out of rotation. I decided to let go of the red jumbo, I have a red m/l that I use a lot more so it's not TOO upsetting to me. :lol: I have yet to sell it though! It's on my list of things to-do this summer. :smile: