On social stereotype: How to deal with people who believe that dressing well "is very superficial"?

Basically as a woman it's hard to a) not be scrutinised and b) not to be criticised.

It doesn't matter wether a woman wears the latest designer fashions, shop from goodwill/charity shops, go naked or wear a hijab, she will be open to criticism. Since you'll never be right, you may as well please yourself.
Unfortunately true - women are judged by everyone.
Make yourself happy, that happiness shines through and that’s priceless - worth so much more than what others think.
I should also recommend a book that was recommended to me on tPF (I think on this forum's chat thread)
The Thoughtful Dresser: The Art of Adornment, the Pleasures of Shopping, and Why Clothes Matter by Linda Grant. You are not alone.
Ha! Another book you’ve recommended - off to Amazon I go! Thanks!

[QUOTE="mellecyn, post: 33216359, member: 3614"]I´m on the side of "dressing well is a form of respect/politeness", and also think that people expressing these judgments, not able to accept the diverse opinions and behaviors of others as valid as their own, are....insecure and trying to make themselves feel better or reassured THEY are in the right. Do not let this affect you.
I miss not being surrounded by more inspirational people when it comes to fashion! People here are so drab (and can´t put an outfit together) it depresses me. BUT I like to see people who are sophisticated and elegant and cool... but while still being nice and modest.[/QUOTE]
+1
Yes! It is a form/sign of respect for others and for yourself.

I love the outdoors too, and I like to dress up occasionally. I certainly agree that the two are not mutually exclusive!
Actually, one does not need a huge wardrobe to be well-dressed. A small wardrobe works just fine too. I think it is more important to understand one's own personal style and develop it. Things to take into account while developing a personal style include choosing clothing based on one's lifestyle including colors that look good, styles that make a person feel comfortable and confident, and suit the body type/shape etc.
I completely agree with you, and I’m always working on this!!
but this specifically is so hard and almost impossible for the average woman to achieve! We are bombarded by all kinds of marketing messages about the latest trend, dress codes for work or what society dictates, women or men. Plus a busy life...most women don’t have a clue on what to wear and even less so knowing them selves well enough and develop their own style that will fit in that complicated landscape.
Personal anecdote : I was living with a roommate (yes in my grown up age, it’s part of my non-living by regular standards of society) we are 2 single professional women, and her style is as if she was always going hiking or climbing or cycling. We live in a city so my style is very urban eventhough the weather can be challenging. While she wears all the outdoors stuff she would still be complimenting me and going “waooowww” everytime I d go out. And I’d be looking at her stuff when preparing for my travel adventures. Meaning maybe others can also be appreciative of differences, maybe they d like to have your stuff who knows...
Can one make a business out of this?
Personal shoppers are also out of reach for a lot. And....why oh why do we insist on mumsy styles for women past the age of 30!?
And after analyzing what makes great style I came to the conclusion that what you see first is overall silhouette. So work with that :smile:

Last edited:
I completely agree with you, and I’m always working on this!!
but this specifically is so hard and almost impossible for the average woman to achieve! We are bombarded by all kinds of marketing messages about the latest trend, dress codes for work or what society dictates, women or men. Plus a busy life...most women don’t have a clue on what to wear and even less so knowing them selves well enough and develop their own style that will fit in that complicated landscape.
Personal anecdote : I was living with a roommate (yes in my grown up age, it’s part of my non-living by regular standards of society) we are 2 single professional women, and her style is as if she was always going hiking or climbing or cycling. We live in a city so my style is very urban eventhough the weather can be challenging. While she wears all the outdoors stuff she would still be complimenting me and going “waooowww” everytime I d go out. And I’d be looking at her stuff when preparing for my travel adventures. Meaning maybe others can also be appreciative of differences, maybe they d like to have your stuff who knows...
Can one make a business out of this?
Personal shoppers are also out of reach for a lot. And....why oh why do we insist on mumsy styles for women past the age of 30!?
And after analyzing what makes great style I came to the conclusion that what you see first is overall silhouette. So work with that :smile:
I agree it is not easy. First, one has to spend some time figuring out one's own personal style. The internet has made it easier to do this now, as there are various blog posts and YouTube videos/tutorials developed just for this purpose.

But then, as you say, there are all these marketing messages, changing trends, dress codes for work and play, and so on.

To manage all of this, I have found it helpful over the last few years to build a basic wardrobe of classic staples that I can always rely on if I don't want to think too much about what to wear on any given day. I choose items that do not go out of style very quickly so they serve as a foundation or building block when planning a wardrobe. Of course, once this is in place, we might need some variety and fun in our clothing choices as well, and for me, this is where the trends come in. I think trends refresh and perk up my basic wardrobe. I will usually look at what is trending each season and maybe pick up one or two things that I like, to add to my clothing choices. Sometimes, I get nothing, if nothing appeals to me that season.

With regard to the constant bombardment of marketing messages, sometimes, I just tune them out (I know, easier said than done). But if I feel I have enough good clothing choices at the moment, I will just try my best to ignore those marketing messages. :biggrin:

I agree it is not easy. First, one has to spend some time figuring out one's own personal style. The internet has made it easier to do this now, as there are various blog posts and YouTube videos/tutorials developed just for this purpose.

But then, as you say, there are all these marketing messages, changing trends, dress codes for work and play, and so on.

To manage all of this, I have found it helpful over the last few years to build a basic wardrobe of classic staples that I can always rely on if I don't want to think too much about what to wear on any given day. I choose items that do not go out of style very quickly so they serve as a foundation or building block when planning a wardrobe. Of course, once this is in place, we might need some variety and fun in our clothing choices as well, and for me, this is where the trends come in. I think trends refresh and perk up my basic wardrobe. I will usually look at what is trending each season and maybe pick up one or two things that I like, to add to my clothing choices. Sometimes, I get nothing, if nothing appeals to me that season.

With regard to the constant bombardment of marketing messages, sometimes, I just tune them out (I know, easier said than done). But if I feel I have enough good clothing choices at the moment, I will just try my best to ignore those marketing messages. :biggrin:
Yes! I’m totally with you! I’m still trying to build up my wardrobe of classic staples. Then I get seduced by the latest fun trends. For me, like In many areas, I need to resist the temptations...it seems you have a better self control over this. Anyways, I love discussing this subject to no end...but sorry for being a bit OTT !

For me, like In many areas, I need to resist the temptations...it seems you have a better self control over this. Anyways, I love discussing this subject to no end...but sorry for being a bit OTT !
Oh, I don’t have it all figured out either. My closet is still a work in progress but at least my wardrobe is better than it was a year or so ago.

Anyway agree with you that we are getting off topic here and maybe this is a subject for a different thread.:smile:

Last edited:
Reactions: antschulina
Recently I got to hear comments such as "in Europe the appearance is so important for nothing" or "taking care of your looks is actually so superficial, there is so much more to life than how you look like" or "this is only a handbag, why did you pay XX$ for it when you can buy much cheaper?". And it goes on and on about shaving legs, getting a facial, getting the nails done, or buying something new, even if it is "only" zara and didn't cost much. The question is not even about whether one has to agree or not with those comments.... I know that we live in a consumer society, and that we are being influenced by luxury marketing who sell it all. But then, buying luxury and looking good are my biggest everyday rewards, and things that cheer me up on a rainy day. I never tell them "why you spend money on outdoors?" although to me it would be a waste of money and time. I never tell them that those comments are misplaced. So are questions about how much luxury handbags cost. I sometimes wonder how to lead those conversations next time and avoid those comments? It is all individual and no one has to say a word about those things.
Honestly, it sounds like you're making them feel insecure, and this is their way of acting out.

Maybe try asking them why it bothers them so much and what business it is of theirs since you're not spending their money. It could be interesting to see how they react and whether or not they're even able to respond.

Reactions: antschulina
in a nutshell Yes! Especially in this forum I think there is often too much emphasis on expensive brands and the ‘perfect’ item, but none of these things really matter. The silhouette is everything

At least here in the US there has been a sort of backlash against femininity for years. So many women dress in a more masculine or androgynous style. If that suits someone, fine, but no need to bash the women who still like to dress up and look pretty.

It's as if spending time to look nice, take care of yourself and actually care about what you wear and how you look is looked down on, like you should have better, more important things to do. There 's a kind of "I'm too busy and important to care about anything so superficial as my looks" attitude sometimes.

Pretty and feminine is not something bad. :hrmm:

At least here in the US there has been a sort of backlash against femininity for years. So many women dress in a more masculine or androgynous style. If that suits someone, fine, but no need to bash the women who still like to dress up and look pretty.

It's as if spending time to look nice, take care of yourself and actually care about what you wear and how you look is looked down on, like you should have better, more important things to do. There 's a kind of "I'm too busy and important to care about anything so superficial as my looks" attitude sometimes.

Pretty and feminine is not something bad. :hrmm:

I agree completely. And as a few other posters mentioned, dressing well is a form of respect and politeness for all those who have to cast their eyes your way, voluntarily or involuntarily. There’s a way to be casual and comfortable and feminine without being sloppy and unkempt...but many women have been led to feel in the quest for equality, they need to give up that special something that makes us ladylike. Dressing thoughtfully can open closed doors and bring respect and favor your way.
Looking back in previous decades, women’s fashions were constraining and uncomfortable in some ways, hence the rise of loosened waists, men’s wear inspired looks and flats. I personally love the suiting worn by Katherine Hepburn and Great Garbo (I believe) and no one would ever say those women and their generation walked out of the house looking any kind of way.
So why is it that today our society trumpets that we don’t or shouldn’t care about our appearance? I honestly don’t know but we’re fooling ourselves. A fine appearance draws the attention first, and then your conversation and intellect should maintain it.
My parents (products of those glorious decades of dressing well, circa 20’s - 60’s) never left the house in any way less than “put together” and my sister and I were drilled with “always look your best, for you never know who you might meet”.
Frankly, in my experience, some people are intimidated by your outward care of yourself. They wonder, “Who do they think they are?”, and others are impressed by it and perhaps motivated to keep themselves up.
Excuse my lengthy post, but I’m continually outdone by people who want you to sink to their level and look like you rolled out of bed. I make no apologies for “always looking my best”, (appropriate for the occasion of course), and as my mother would say, “Give the people a show, they need it”.

One time when I was waiting at the elevator, a superior saw me and commented, “Going to a party?” I was wearing a nice dress that in my opinion doubles as a work dress and a cocktail dress. I responded cheerfully, “Life is a party!” She was a little surprised but then smiled and agreed.

I am too old to care if people judge. It’s more a reflection of them than me.