On Plastic Surgery and Natural Remedies/Supplements/Probiotics

milkychoco

Apr 13, 2014
i'm wondering if any of you have used natural supplements and remedies after and during plastic surgery?

for example, I find that Manuka honey, the authentic ones with higher UMF/MGO content, heals and disinfects wounds better than antibiotics, so I'm thinking of using it in case I get revision alarplasty, if the doctor allows. Manuka honey is medicinal grade and some hospitals in New Zealand and the US use it for treating radiation therapy patients, stomach ulcers and those with wounds or burns. The one i'm using now for my acne is only sold in pharmacies in NZ.

also, since the antibiotics and medicines that they will give us after the surgery are a little bit hard on the liver, and will probably kill most of our gut bacteria is it wise to take liver friendly supplements like Milk Thistle (sylimarin) or NAC? i think probiotics will help too to replenish good bacteria.

I wanna know, are there any health nuts around here? Post your opinions! :smile:

I think if you eat really well, that should be enough. Probiotics after completely finishing off the antibiotics is a good idea. Not sure if I'll be able to find papaya in Korea, but I am planning on a papaya binge after surgery. It makes my skin glow ^^

I used to be a supplement junky. I stopped taking NAC last year because it caused me sciatica-like pain. My legs would constantly tingle and had a dull aching pain. It worsened when I wore skinny jeans! I also felt tired and lethargic all the time. I had to take frequent naps in my car between meetings and errands. My doctor informed me that NAC can cause nerve damage. After that experience, I quit taking all my supplements except for probiotics and started taking enzymes before each meal instead. Now I feel amazing.

I started reading Kimberly Snyder's "The Beauty Detox Solution" and it changed my life. Tips like eating fruit on an empty stomach, starting the day with a green smoothie, taking enzymes, etc. really made a difference for me.

I think if you eat really well, that should be enough. Probiotics after completely finishing off the antibiotics is a good idea. Not sure if I'll be able to find papaya in Korea, but I am planning on a papaya binge after surgery. It makes my skin glow ^^

I used to be a supplement junky. I stopped taking NAC last year because it caused me sciatica-like pain. My legs would constantly tingle and had a dull aching pain. It worsened when I wore skinny jeans! I also felt tired and lethargic all the time. I had to take frequent naps in my car between meetings and errands. My doctor informed me that NAC can cause nerve damage. After that experience, I quit taking all my supplements except for probiotics and started taking enzymes before each meal instead. Now I feel amazing.

I started reading Kimberly Snyder's "The Beauty Detox Solution" and it changed my life. Tips like eating fruit on an empty stomach, starting the day with a green smoothie, taking enzymes, etc. really made a difference for me.
^i agree with eating fruit on empty stomach. i have problems with constipation (but it's not so severe now) and I find that taking lemon water first thing in the morning helps my stomach. I also eat lots of sugarfree kimchi to help my digestion. also, I'm sensitive to sugar and gluten so I can't say that I am overall healthy...

I haven't tried NAC but I am more interested in Milk thistle, I wonder if Korean doctors are open about homepathy because they might prohibit taking it in case it interferes with the prescribed medication (i'm sure it won't though).

As for Manuka Honey I reaaaally want to use it for my alarplasty revision because my previous one left a not so pretty scarring and I find that it works better than antibiotic gel/creams that only prevents infections but don't have healing properties. However I'm afraid that the doctor/nurses will think I'm crazy.

^i agree with eating fruit on empty stomach. i have problems with constipation (but it's not so severe now) and I find that taking lemon water first thing in the morning helps my stomach. I also eat lots of sugarfree kimchi to help my digestion. also, I'm sensitive to sugar and gluten so I can't say that I am overall healthy...

I haven't tried NAC but I am more interested in Milk thistle, I wonder if Korean doctors are open about homepathy because they might prohibit taking it in case it interferes with the prescribed medication (i'm sure it won't though).

As for Manuka Honey I reaaaally want to use it for my alarplasty revision because my previous one left a not so pretty scarring and I find that it works better than antibiotic gel/creams that only prevents infections but don't have healing properties. However I'm afraid that the doctor/nurses will think I'm crazy.
I used to have really bad constipation problems but they went away when I started taking probiotics. Hot water with lemon helps a lot, but I never have lemons so I often take apple cider vinegar shots instead. I love kimchi, but it's difficult to find a good vegetarian one with low sodium. Do you make your own or do you buy it? I'd love to make my own, but I have no idea how!

I didn't know about manuka honey before. Seems to work similarly to coconut oil. I underwent skin laser treatments and religiously used coconut oil to prevent scarring, and it worked very well. Maybe I will make a manuka honey/coconut oil concoction!

I used to have really bad constipation problems but they went away when I started taking probiotics. Hot water with lemon helps a lot, but I never have lemons so I often take apple cider vinegar shots instead. I love kimchi, but it's difficult to find a good vegetarian one with low sodium. Do you make your own or do you buy it? I'd love to make my own, but I have no idea how!

I didn't know about manuka honey before. Seems to work similarly to coconut oil. I underwent skin laser treatments and religiously used coconut oil to prevent scarring, and it worked very well. Maybe I will make a manuka honey/coconut oil concoction!

I make my own, there's a Korean grocery store near my place so I find it easy to source the ingredients. It's less expensive when you make your own because one pack of chilli powder lasts a long time! As for the recipe I googled some recipes from Korean bloggers and tailored them to suit my preferences. I also use apples instead of sugar and put more shrimp paste instead of salt.

I have mixed feelings about coconut oil (even the extra virgin, cold pressed ones)and I think I'm quite sensitive to it. I've tested it a couple of months on and off, I oil-pulled for 3 months but the 'detox' symptoms won't go away so I figured I must be sensitive to it. I read something about those with blood Type O should avoid coconut oil, but I don't entirely belive the blood type diet and that's a different topic altogether.