Omg My Worst Gift Ever!!!!!!

My MIL filled my stocking this year with freebies she took from her suite at the Hilton is Las Vegas. It was really nice stuff! *LOL* Best trail mix and malted milk balls you can imagine, some kind of awesome shampoo and body lotion, Brie cheese and some kind of fancy crusty bread. It was all great!

Last year, my MIL was begging my husband for ideas for things to get him for his birthday. He couldn't think of anything, and he got tired of her asking, so he finally told her "get me a six pack of Fleet enemas, some pantyhose and a cocker spaniel." (he was going to say "cock ring" but caught himself and said cocker spaniel.)

Guess what he got? Exactly what he asked for, complete with cocker spaniel figurine!

OMG, this thread made me cry, then laugh. I've been out of the office this week and I've opened three different e-mails notifying me that my co-workers parents have died. I cannot imagine what they are going through right now especially so close to the holidays.

My mother is my best friend and I wouldn't care if she gave me a 5lb bag of salt, I'm just thankful that she is happy and in good health. I didn't get a "gift" from my mother either and that didn't bother me one bit. She gave me life and supported me for 18 + 4 years, and since becoming a mother I've realized some of the sacrifices Mother's make for their children. I think she has totally made up for it.

Let us remember that there really is a "reason" for the season of Christmas, and it's not to give and receive gifts.

Last year my FIL kept saying he got me a bag of coal. Over and over again. And true to his word, I got a small bag of FAKE coal. At least if it was real, I could have found a use for it. I tried to leave it with the nieces, but my husband insisted I take it home, ostensibly to avoid hurting his father's feelings.

Sorry Speedy meant no disrespect. I'm 50 also & I was trying to be light hearted so I don't cry about it.
Yes, it Christmas & its the thought that counts. Maybe the stores were already closed & the only place open was the grocery store. Cause those items are groceries! I like your idea about the cup of noodles, heck I doubt if they have an expiration date on them.
Thank God she didn't go to a truck stop. Have you seen what they carry!

None taken Vegas, you know that. I just didn't want to turn it into a contest.

ANd YES, I know what they carry in truck stops, DH is a truck driver! One year he gave me a folding clipboard, one of thise heavy shiny aluminum ones drivers carry their log books in. :P This year he gave me a Dremil drill, but I wanted that!

As a Mom, this post below makes me very sad...:crybaby:Maybe she was thinking of how much you loved them as a little girl and since she could not be with you for the holiday's, she thought it may bring a smile or feeling of love and nostalgia to you.... :s

(yeah I know this sounds like a spoiled little brat whining)
:yes:

When you have children of your own, then, you will understand the CareBear.

I would put it up in a safe place because I can tell you, it will mean more to you than

gave me money for a really nice LCD TV, nintendo DS and 6 games, and then my mom wrapped some gifts and mailed them to me, mainly food that they don't have here, some coach charms, a few shirts
this above ever could in the years to come...

LOL my mom is the same way. My parents will always get me really nice expensive presents that I want. But I guess my mom feels like it doesn't look like enough or something. I didn't get to see my family this year, so they
gave me money for a really nice LCD TV, nintendo DS and 6 games, and then my mom wrapped some gifts and mailed them to me, mainly food that they don't have here, some coach charms, a few shirts.
Then she gives me a frickin CAREBEAR :confused1: Okay yeah I liked carebears when I was like 3. I don't really see why she would think I liked it. The last thing I need is more stuffed animals. Also the box for the carebear was huge, and took up alot of space in the box she sent me. I don't see why she thought it was worth the space? Espessially since it costs over $150 to send the box. I don't mean to sound ungrateful of
r anything (yeah I know this sounds like a spoiled little brat whining), but sometimes I wonder what she is thinking lol. She also always sends me TONS of candy and I always tell her I don't eat candy!
Now...my grandmother...OH BOY. It took years but now that all of the grandchildren are 16+ she has finally given in to just giving us money. But she used to get me the weirdest stuff. I remember one in specific when I was 18...she got me a jigsaw puzzle....like one of the really cheap dollar store ones...with a snowboarder on it. I don't like puzzles or snowboarding. She would always ask us for a list, and we would give her one and she would get us nothing from this list.

I guess I should be grateful when people get me anything but sometimes I think a useless gift that looks like they put no thought into it is worse than nothing at all. It feels like they just got me a gift out of obligation. I always put alot of thought into every gift I give people and really stress out trying to find something I know they would like or use so it really bothers me when other people get me something careless.

lmao this is awesome.

My DF's mom always gives weird gifts for Christmas. She does "stockings" (huge) for all the kids filled with weird treats - this year was sugar free pancake mix (:confused1:), a bottle of sugar free syrup, then sugar-ful huge, economy-sized bag of gummy bears and a bunch of other little "treats" - but I think it's adorable. I actually really enjoy it :P. It's what Christmas is all about - finding the funny in your prezzies :lol:

Posts like the original one always make me wonder if I should have kids. It's amazing what a sense of entitlement can do to a person's sense of perspective.

You are not diminished as a person because your mom bought you an imperfect gift. All the good your mother has done in your life has not been undone because she bought you a basket of food she hoped you would enjoy but apparently will not. It's the thought that counts, she thought of you on Christmas, so get over it.

I really don't see the humor in griping about gifts. I'm frankly grateful to receive anything.

Posts like the original one always make me wonder if I should have kids. It's amazing what a sense of entitlement can do to a person's sense of perspective.

You are not diminished as a person because your mom bought you an imperfect gift. All the good your mother has done in your life has not been undone because she bought you a basket of food she hoped you would enjoy but apparently will not. It's the thought that counts, she thought of you on Christmas, so get over it.

I really don't see the humor in griping about gifts. I'm frankly grateful to receive anything.

Ditto. :s 2008 marks the year I turn 23 and get married. As of late, I've begun questioning the whole notion of procreation... arg...

Totally not the OP's fault though :lol: - just adds fuel to the fire, really.

While I'm "grateful to receive anything", as well, keeping a sense of humor is key (to me) to put things in perspective. While some may not see the humor in "griping about gifts", I laughed out loud when I read about some of these gifts. As long as the "giftee" does not gripe to the "gifter", as I am a believer that no one is owed gift, I say have fun with it.

I'm a magnet for cheap and horrible gifts, I think people around me do it on purpose because I dress designer head to toe. I don't ask for expensive stuff, but come on!!! be creative! My MIL always gets me stuff from the 99 cents store. I once received a used bra from a family friend.

It's an odd gift, but I would have loved it either way.
It's always the thought that counts. The fact that your mom gave out the time to wrap the items and give them to you.

My mom passed away in 2006 and she use to be so careful about what she bought for me. She never spoiled me with really expensive items, but in my opinion she would put a lot of effort in what to get for me and the items would then be very simple but they were meaningful or hers to give.

It might be hard to grasp now, but it will make sense someday.

OMG I'm sure everyone got a gift they did not like but mine has got to be the WORST OF THE WORST..... Get this, my mother got me a gift bag full of @#%*. A 6 pack of Cup of Noodles, a cheap bottle of Olive Oil, a can of tuna salad with crackers, a bottle of strawberry jelly, and a gingerbread candle. This wasn't a gag gift either. She was really serious too. I can't believe a 6 pack of Cup of Noodles! What the hell was she thinking??? :cursing::cursing::cursing::cursing:

My first thought was this sounds like a week's worth of candlelight dinners for a grad student. Is your mom on a really limited budget?