OMG I’m allergic to my new rolex!!!

Jrp1270

Mar 5, 2020
Guys, help!

I have been agonizing over deciding which rolex to buy for a year now and recently made the decision to go for a beautiful brand new rolex 31mm, stick markers, jubilee, fletes bezel, and a black face.

9EE8C93D-6824-4667-A4E0-311A4F195768.jpeg

After a few days my wrist broke out in an itchy, burning rash.

9A82D2CD-A0B5-420C-BE60-FCDD8598D898.jpeg

It’s my dream watch...seriously the only one I love (except the Cartier tank louis) BUT i can’t imagine paying so much for a watch that breaks me out.

Is there anything I can do to work around the allergy or do you guys recommend I return the watch? Help!

Guys, help!

I have been agonizing over deciding which rolex to buy for a year now and recently made the decision to go for a beautiful brand new rolex 31mm, stick markers, jubilee, fletes bezel, and a black face.

View attachment 4865441

After a few days my wrist broke out in an itchy, burning rash.

View attachment 4865446

It’s my dream watch...seriously the only one I love (except the Cartier tank louis) BUT i can’t imagine paying so much for a watch that breaks me out.

Is there anything I can do to work around the allergy or do you guys recommend I return the watch? Help!

I'm so sorry, you must return it.

Probably too much nickel in the alloy. I say that because I'm allergic to nickel and if some belt buckles even just touch my skin I get angry, itchy welts. My Rolexes are both gold, so I can't tell if their alloy is particularly high in nickel, my JLC is stainless steel and I've had no problem and I have worn that watch more than any other.

There are ways of plating to reduce the effect but no guarantees, but it will destroy the watches value. An expensive watch should not be so much trouble.

So sorry :hugs:

I'm so sorry, you must return it.

Probably too much nickel in the alloy. I say that because I'm allergic to nickel and if some belt buckles even just touch my skin I get angry, itchy welts. My Rolexes are both gold, so I can't tell if their alloy is particularly high in nickel, my JLC is stainless steel and I've had no problem and I have worn that watch more than any other.

There are ways of plating to reduce the effect but no guarantees, but it will destroy the watches value. An expensive watch should not be so much trouble.

So sorry :hugs:
Return it.
Yes, the nickel in the alloy has to be the problem.

Hi!

Sadly, the 904 L alloy Rolex uses comes with a 24 to 26% amount of nickel in it. So yes, it can be an allergic reaction to nickel. And it's actually quite a high amount when compared to 316 L, another alloy used for wrist watches, it only has about 11.6%.

But still, it doesn't have to be. To be sure, only a corresponding test at your doctor's will clarify.

What kind of watch did you wear before the Rolex?

What you can do, carefully wash the watch with warm water and your regular hand washing soap, then see if the rash returns. After all, it might be just an reaction cause by some residue from manufacturing or even just sweat.

Then there is a gazillion tips to be found what people with allergies do, to be able to still wear a watch like this. This is a personal decision of course, and it's ultimately yours to be made, especially on a brand new watch, that you can probably still return.

Two of them are:

- (Adhesive) tape on the case back.
- Clear nail polish on the case back (fully cured of course. ;) ).

Personally, I'm not a fan. And I'd probably return the watch before doing this. As it's highly likely it won't really help in the long run.

I'm very sorry.

Kind regards,
Oliver

Hi!

Sadly, the 904 L alloy Rolex uses comes with a 24 to 26% amount of nickel in it. So yes, it can be an allergic reaction to nickel. And it's actually quite a high amount when compared to 316 L, another alloy used for wrist watches, it only has about 11.6%.

But still, it doesn't have to be. To be sure, only a corresponding test at your doctor's will clarify.

What kind of watch did you wear before the Rolex?

What you can do, carefully wash the watch with warm water and your regular hand washing soap, then see if the rash returns. After all, it might be just an reaction cause by some residue from manufacturing or even just sweat.

Then there is a gazillion tips to be found what people with allergies do, to be able to still wear a watch like this. This is a personal decision of course, and it's ultimately yours to be made, especially on a brand new watch, that you can probably still return.

Two of them are:

- (Adhesive) tape on the case back.
- Clear nail polish on the case back (fully cured of course. ;) ).

Personally, I'm not a fan. And I'd probably return the watch before doing this. As it's highly likely it won't really help in the long run.

I'm very sorry.

Kind regards,
Oliver

Thanks for clarification, good to know.

Reactions: Jrp1270
If you know that you are really allergic to something, you can take any item to a store that deals with bullion (some jewelers might be able to as well) and ask them to run an X-ray fluorescence test.

This is a non-destructive test that gives you an elemental readout of the composition of the alloy in an item and can help you identify impurities in the alloy.

Reactions: Jrp1270 and 880
Yes , as others have said, I would return it. Strangely enough I have two Rolexes, one SS and the other gold, and sometimes the gold one makes my wrist really itchy and I get a red patch. The SS has never done it.....go figure!