OMG..i just got a puppy. she only 3lb & 2oz at 4 month..

LV-PRADAfanatic

Built Hot for LV
Oct 24, 2007
hey all, after thinking for a long time.. i FINALLY got my 1st puppy...

i;ve bene asked a lot of time why i did not get a dog from humane society/ rescue. ive asking couple of humane society for months but they said thye never or rarely get toy dogs. i;ve contacted rescue and process is long for a reason and i am not sure abt the mental status of resue dogs..i got it at a pet shop and i knwo lot of ppl are against it.. there arent many breeders for this breed i wanted and the ones i saw are too far... the area where the pet shop is located have lots of millionaires who lives there and thus the shop have very good reputation..the shop wouldnt wan to mess wit the law suit from the filthy rich... hahhaah... that why i got it there..

i've my criteria for selecting my dog.

1. i wan a full grown 3-5lb
2. i wan to bring her EVERYWHERE as i dun wan to leave her alone
3. brining her wit me save me money on boarding
4. toy have jelly bean size poop..
5. food and other stuff will be on a smaller economial; scale..

that why i got this dog...she a chihuahua and rat terrier mix and vet estimated full grown about 4 lb.... she cost a BOMB but was WORTH every penny..

i wan to only houstrain her to go poop outside and will not used wee wee pad...so any suggestions is welcome... i go every hour to take her out and feed her 2 x times a day with wet n dry food..

Congrats on your new puppy!

Sounds like you thought about it very thoroughly!

Would love to see pictures of your new addition! First month can be stressful, but once you get a schedule with her, it'll be just a simple routine!

Have you named her?

Congrats! I just wanted to mention one thing -- I'm sure she's adorable and you want to take her everywhere, but please try not to spoil her ... spoiled puppies become unmanageable adult dogs! There will be times when you cannot take her where you are going. I'd highly advise crate training her so she has a safe place to go if you cannot be with her.

Also, have you looked into pet insurance? I have it for my dog and cat and although it's OK coverage-wise for basic care, it's really a lifesaver if you have an emergency situation that leads up to a huge vet bill.

Also -- regarding rescue dogs, you really needn't worry, as many dogs in shelters and rescues these days have been abandoned by their owners. More so than dogs who have been strays on the streets. I'm fostering a Chihuahua/Pomeranian mix right now who was turned in by his owner. He's a wonderful dog and there's nothing wrong with him. It's just that his owner couldn't afford to keep him anymore.

Oooh, a puppy sounds exciting! Definitely post pics and let us know more about her!

I agree with lorihmatthews--just because a dog is tiny doesn't mean that you don't have to train it well. Even if a small dog can be aggressive/problematic, so you should look into crate training and maybe even some basic obedience classes. Also, it's too bad you're not in Los Angeles--apparently over here, toy dogs dominate the shelters (everyone has Paris Hilton syndrome I guess!) and they can't get rid of them fast enough. I remember reading some article about LA shelters shipping toy dogs over to NY because there's a high demand for them everywhere else in the country.

I guarantee you that the majority of rescue dogs are at no more of a risk of health issues or mental issues than a petshop puppy. No matter what side of town you got them on. Actually, given the background of petshop puppies... Their risks of neurological and hereditary conditions are actually higher...

And if the pup is 3lbs at 4 months... You are probably looking at 6-10 pounds full grown. Not 3-5.

I second everything lorimathews says. "Small dog syndrome" is not cute, so please be extra cautious to properly train and socialize your new family member. And careful selection of a pet insurance policy will be invaluable for your puppy.

I guarantee you that the majority of rescue dogs are at no more of a risk of health issues or mental issues than a petshop puppy. No matter what side of town you got them on. Actually, given the background of petshop puppies... Their risks of neurological and hereditary conditions are actually higher...

And if the pup is 3lbs at 4 months... You are probably looking at 6-10 pounds full grown. Not 3-5.

I second everything lorimathews says. "Small dog syndrome" is not cute, so please be extra cautious to properly train and socialize your new family member. And careful selection of a pet insurance policy will be invaluable for your puppy.

Lilly was 3 pounds at 4 mth. Now she's 9 pounds.

We don't use pet insurance, but we do have a Lilly/Byron fund in case the get sick. Just be prepared for emergencies one way or another.

A fair number of rescue dogs are former pet shop pups. Dogs from private rescues tend to be better socialized than pet shop puppies since they actually live in a home with people. So if you plan on getting a second dog, don't dismiss a rescue pup.

Last edited:
thxs os much for all yr invaluable insight...ive been thinking abt getting as dog for a year and what i wan in a dog..i am using crate trainin and trying ot avoid wee wee pad...she goes to hert crate by her wown and when i am around the room, i open the door as long as i can see her....taking her out every 2 hours but in 6 days, she had 3 accident in my room..i take her out first thing when i wake up and last thing before i go to bed... i am thinking abt enrollling her in obedient class in the PETSMART shop which is once a week an hour for 8 weeks..she has only done baby bark 3 times since i got her..i am teaching her to sit using treat and its not successfull all the time.. i know everything takes a long time and it will be worth it ..is it normal she does not whine when put her in her crate when i go to bed..?

AMI I DOING EVYERTHING CORRECT SO FAR? PLEASE LET ME KNOW:P

i know abt the rescue/humane society but there nothing in my area and i waited for a long time aND then i cant wait any more..

regarding the weight, i hope she wont get too big and too heavy for me to carry in my jacket.... hahah.. the vet says abt coiuple of lbs more...we will see.....

IMG_0619.JPG

IMG_0626.JPG

IMG_0625.JPG

IMG_0618.JPG

Last edited:
i am checking out the pet insrunce too and thxs to you all for telling me about it..

i bring her to PETCO and PETSMART every other day to let her know the differtn sight, smell, dogs, humans etc... she still scared e.g at dogs, kids but i alwasy squat down and pat her and assured her thta its ok ...after a while, she ok and let ppl pat her and walk around the shops and let ppl touch her.. ..i try to not pick her up...

She's so cute!!! Its perfect you are socializing her with other dogs! She's only 4 months old, its normal she doesnt obey perfectly right away. You are lucky she doesnt cry at night!! Mine cried all night long for 3 days. I was so tired!
The obedience class is a very good idea.

^^I kept hearing that whatever your pup weighs at 3 months doubled is what it will weigh when it's fully grown. Mine weighed 6-7 lbs at 3 months, and now, at 5 months, she weighs 17.

Regarding the small dog syndrome, yes, please be cautious of this. My friends and family all think it's cute to let her jump all over them because she's little. They won't tell her no, so when I take her to the dog park, or to the park to run, she just wants to leap all over everyone for attention.

thxs os much for all yr invaluable insight...ive been thinking abt getting as dog for a year and what i wan in a dog..i am using crate trainin and trying ot avoid wee wee pad...she goes to hert crate by her wown and when i am around the room, i open the door as long as i can see her....taking her out every 2 hours but in 6 days, she had 3 accident in my room..i take her out first thing when i wake up and last thing before i go to bed... i am thinking abt enrollling her in obedient class in the PETSMART shop which is once a week an hour for 8 weeks..she has only done baby bark 3 times since i got her..i am teaching her to sit using treat and its not successfull all the time.. i know everything takes a long time and it will be worth it ..is it normal she does not whine when put her in her crate when i go to bed..?

AMI I DOING EVYERTHING CORRECT SO FAR? PLEASE LET ME KNOW:P

i know abt the rescue/humane society but there nothing in my area and i waited for a long time aND then i cant wait any more..

regarding the weight, i hope she wont get too big and too heavy for me to carry in my jacket.... hahah.. the vet says abt coiuple of lbs more...we will see.....

^^I feel like 3 accidents in 6 days is NOTHING. She didn't have a whole lot of accidents in the house, but she definitely had more than 3 in 6 days. Sounds like you're doing good with the house training.

Also, congrats on your new pup, she is SO cute!!! When I first read the description of the mix, I was skeptical, but she is absolutely adorable. I love how she is laying in her crate with her little paws crossed like a lil lady wanting you to let her out.