OMG i got Scammed on Carousell -- Need Advise!

omg $2k+!! If at $290 I’m already so affected, I can’t imagine what you’re friend is going through!! I really hope that she’ll be able to recover what she paid to that horrible seller and that karma will catch up to that seller soon and all the other sellers who scammed people!! i think that’s why a lot of sellers aren’t afraid to scam buyers because they know they can get away with it :sad: i already reported her to carousell. She only reached out to me after Carousell has emailed her. After that she never responded to me again. I tried to warn her that I’ll be filing a police report but she just ignored it. Now I know why she wasn’t scared with police report. I checked her reviews and reached out to some of the sellers (no recent reviews on buyer’s side) but they don’t have her phone number. It was also her “officemate” who showed up at the meet up cuz according to her she was still stuck in a meeting. But I don’t know anymore whether it was really her officemate or it was actually the seller just pretending as her “officemate”. So did the police went to see the seller of the bag of your friend for questioning? Or they just look at the cctv and that’s it? the seller gets to walk away just like that? i thought it’s illegal to sell counterfeit item? isn’t that enough to file a case for that seller? i mean the issue is not about the seller convincing your friend that the bag she’s selling is authentic but the issue is the fact that she sold a counterfeit good which is supposed to be illegal?
the police basically told her that
1. evidence is not strong enough
2. there was never an exchange of convo regarding the authenticity, and that seller was trying to convince my friend that item is authentic hence it is not “cheating”.
3. ownself fault for not checking the item properly before the transaction. Transaction made = you’ve agreed with the condition of the item & have accepted the item, hence not considered as cheating.
Unless you want to actually take the time to follow up with the case (chase the supervisor, keep asking them to check your case, etc), i don’t think it’s something that you should pursue further ://

omg $2k+!! If at $290 I’m already so affected, I can’t imagine what you’re friend is going through!! I really hope that she’ll be able to recover what she paid to that horrible seller and that karma will catch up to that seller soon and all the other sellers who scammed people!! i think that’s why a lot of sellers aren’t afraid to scam buyers because they know they can get away with it :sad: i already reported her to carousell. She only reached out to me after Carousell has emailed her. After that she never responded to me again. I tried to warn her that I’ll be filing a police report but she just ignored it. Now I know why she wasn’t scared with police report. I checked her reviews and reached out to some of the sellers (no recent reviews on buyer’s side) but they don’t have her phone number. It was also her “officemate” who showed up at the meet up cuz according to her she was still stuck in a meeting. But I don’t know anymore whether it was really her officemate or it was actually the seller just pretending as her “officemate”. So did the police went to see the seller of the bag of your friend for questioning? Or they just look at the cctv and that’s it? the seller gets to walk away just like that? i thought it’s illegal to sell counterfeit item? isn’t that enough to file a case for that seller? i mean the issue is not about the seller convincing your friend that the bag she’s selling is authentic but the issue is the fact that she sold a counterfeit good which is supposed to be illegal?
I’m pretty sure this type of scams have been circulating for quite sometime already... i know a branded bag curator in carousell who got scammed as well. But no follow ups from the authorities side as well...

Thank you so much for sharing this, I have learned a lot from you. Well it’s true that it’s also partly my fault for not carefully checking and being too trusting. So there really is no point anymore for me to file a police report since they will not even reach out to the seller which is what I’m aiming for, just to somehow scare the seller for what she did. Anyway, I believe in karma so I’m sure that it will catch up soon to those dishonest sellers. Thanks again for all your inputs :smile:

Hi all, I recently got scammed on Carousell from buying a Prada bag which the seller alleged is authentic and she is selling cheap ($600) as its a gift from her cousin from Paris and she has used it 3 times. She got all the authenticity card etc and she also got high reviews on Carousell from people who purchased bags from her.
She arranged for Lalamove to deliver the bag as she claimed she is staying very far away. When I saw the bag, I realise that its a high quality fake bag as I have the same bag (old). After I confronted her with the pictures, she said she will refund me and she will get a refund from Reebonz. Hence her story about it being a gift was fake to make her sale look more real.
The refund from her took ages and she will give me excuses like she is in Aust, can only pay a week later. Then a week came and she will claim that she is extending her stay for another week. After that, she will tell me she is asking her relatives in SG to pay me first but that never happen. I also threaten to report her and she got worried. Basically it took me more than a month to get a refund from her. It was a terrible and time-consuming experience.
I left her a bad review on Carousell. Note that I just realise that one of the reviewers on her Carousell account was actually herself because the WhatsApp picture and name is the same. That reviewer gave raving review of how her purchased bag is the real thing and how the seller was so patience in explaining the authencity of the bag. I was taken in when I read that review and now, I just felt really cheated.
My advice to all is to really ask for more pictures, meet up with the seller in person (until now I still don't know how my seller looks like), know how the real thing looks like and really examine the bag when you meet up. Don't be afraid to press the seller for refund.