OMG!How much would YOU actually pay for this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RufikPufik

O.G.
Apr 29, 2009
Marc by Marc Jacobs Macro Neoprene Lil Elettra Hobo

Attention, attention!
I am NOT a leather bag!
I do however have letters of Marc Jacobs name scattered on me all over
I am made out of neoprene and I am sold for a cool $278 - amount enough to feed a family of 4 for a week or two.
You are going to look so cool wearing me on your arm, everyone will be green with envy.

Any takers?

I want to know your thoughts-would you buy this non-leather bag (actually he has many of them out in stores now - nylon, neoprene, etc) for close to $300. Is this guy insane? Or is he so out of touch with reality that he thinks if he has his name all over something it will be a best seller
instantaneously
?
I am not a designer basher, have coupld MbMJ bags (leather only) but this is preposterous, what do you think?

HmMmluvthatbag

Breakin' the Bank
Jan 8, 2007
A smaller messy house
I think they probably have a Marketing department that determines what a willing buyer would pay.

I wouldn't buy it myself, but they do keep making these bags, so plenty of gals must be buying it.

tadpolenyc

O.G.
Sep 9, 2006
h is right. i wouldn't buy it, but someone else has to. otherwise, it wouldn't exist.

mulberry recently made a bayswater with ink stains all over it. no doubt to capitalize on women's secret desires to buy pre-damaged bags for thousands of dollars. despite it being a classic designer piece, and made out of leather, i wouldn't buy that either. designer beach towels? what's wrong with regular beach towels? afraid someone will think you don't have oodles of money pouring out of your eyeballs? i can think of plenty of crap designers will peddle to pad the profit margins.

Dawn

seriously?
O.G.
Sep 2, 2006
United States
i agree with everyone else - i wouldn't buy it, but some marketing department decided it was worth producing so someone will buy it.

tadpolenyc

O.G.
Sep 9, 2006
i think it's not always what the bag looks like or what it made out of that necessarily entices many consumers to overspend on an item. it's how recognizable it'll be to everyone else in the streets that makes it worthwhile to them.

HeartMyMJs

.:LiveLoveLaugh:.
O.G.
Oct 29, 2009
I wouldn't buy it myself but there are alot of people out there that would buy it.

jun3machina

hopelessly addicted
O.G.
Apr 11, 2006
leather isn't for everyone either....got to supply the goods to those eco friendly folks, and the vegan types too.

both nyon and neoprene are very durable materials and the same amount of manufacturing work goes into making a synthetic bag as does a leather one. usually it's only the grade of leather that allows one to mark up the price point on their goods ridiculously high, if any excuse.

but marc also makes a point here. he knows how much it costs to manufacture. and i kinda see bags like this as him laughing at the worth of his brand, because whether it's calfskin or nylon or neoprene, all in all.....with any designer goods....you're never paying for the price point of the materials involved, but for the logo. just deal with it.

RufikPufik

O.G.
Apr 29, 2009
I am fine with the material, being that some people are vegans and/or allergic to the leather itself, but charging $278 for the bag like this is a monstrosity in itself. Thanks though for not judging the fact that I am disgusted with this designer for capitalizing on his popularity to such extreme as to sell synthetic materials for the same MRPs as some lesser designers sell leather (which is much more expensive to manufacture due to extensive tanning processes involved) bags.
To someone who mention manufacturing -they all manufactured in China be it leather or non leather, Marc Jacobs or Cole Haan or Kenneth Cole or B.Makowsky - so manufacturing costs should be and are same, but raw material costs are not.

iluvmybags

& My Motos & Shoes!
O.G.
Sep 13, 2006
The Windy City
I am fine with the material, being that some people are vegans and/or allergic to the leather itself, but charging $278 for the bag like this is a monstrosity in itself. Thanks though for not judging the fact that I am disgusted with this designer for capitalizing on his popularity to such extreme as to sell synthetic materials for the same MRPs as some lesser designers sell leather (which is much more expensive to manufacture due to extensive tanning processes involved) bags.
To someone who mention manufacturing -they all manufactured in China be it leather or non leather, Marc Jacobs or Cole Haan or Kenneth Cole or B.Makowsky - so manufacturing costs should be and are same, but raw material costs are not.

but this happens with PLENTY of other designers as well - ever check out a Stella McCartney bag? She never uses leather and her bags retail for more than 2-3x a MbyMJ bag. Louis Vuitton capitalizes on coated canvas bags loaded with the company's logo. Chanel made a transparent "Flap" bag years ago that retailed for more than $1k.

This isn't an isolated incident - it happens ALL the time in the world of fashion. As long as the demand is there, designers will continue to look for ways to profit. After all, it's all a business - they're not doing this as a hobby

On the flipside, there are LOTS of bags that look and feel like they SHOULD retail for so much more -- MbyMJ's Leola bag is a fantastic alternative to some of the recent Alexander Wang bags, which have been widely popular with waiting listings all around the globe. The Leola sells for about 2/3 the price of a Wang bag and IMO, is much better made in style that is both more practical and timeless

Dawn

seriously?
O.G.
Sep 2, 2006
United States
but this happens with PLENTY of other designers as well - ever check out a Stella McCartney bag? She never uses leather and her bags retail for more than 2-3x a MbyMJ bag. Louis Vuitton capitalizes on coated canvas bags loaded with the company's logo. Chanel made a transparent "Flap" bag years ago that retailed for more than $1k.

This isn't an isolated incident - it happens ALL the time in the world of fashion. As long as the demand is there, designers will continue to look for ways to profit. After all, it's all a business - they're not doing this as a hobby

On the flipside, there are LOTS of bags that look and feel like they SHOULD retail for so much more -- MbyMJ's Leola bag is a fantastic alternative to some of the recent Alexander Wang bags, which have been widely popular with waiting listings all around the globe. The Leola sells for about 2/3 the price of a Wang bag and IMO, is much better made in style that is both more practical and timeless
:goodpost:

OP, i think that the pricepoint for a non-leather bag is not entirely the designer's fault. supply and demand are funny creatures but there's a reason why they exist! :smile:

RufikPufik

O.G.
Apr 29, 2009
^I do not disagree with you at all!
However I am so used to neosporene being used in the lunch packs that an idea of it being used in a bag is absurd.
SMcC from what I understand is a vegan so it is understandable for her to not use any leather at all, she does not use it in any of her bags if I am not mistaken (or am I, not sure, do not really follow her line much).

But to sell what really is just an improved shape lunch pack for this money is pure greed.

RufikPufik

O.G.
Apr 29, 2009
Thanks guys anyway for your opinions. You were nice enough to voice what you think. I do not hate MJ, I just hate greed that is so blatant.

HmMmluvthatbag

Breakin' the Bank
Jan 8, 2007
A smaller messy house
It's an interesting topic! I wouldn't pay that much for that bag, but someone would, so the MJ brand is worth it to them, even if the materials don't equal the price. Who knows what their logic is.

Businesses are in business to make money. Unfortunately designers are not going to work their butts off to build a reputation, create a brand, then sell for their cost. It just ain't gonna happen. I think it's incredibly hard work to be a designer and produce items that are wanted season after season. That ability increases the value of the intangible asset - the brand. That brand costs a lot of effort and money to cultivate and thus those costs must be spread over the products.

Status
Not open for further replies.