Oldies but goodies returning

Aug 13, 2014
I'm sure we are all noticing some of the older Florentine styles making a comeback.... Yea!
Many of these older styles have lovely details like whip stitching or leather lining, etc.
We've seen the side pocket Flo hobo, and the Flo hobo with slant zip pockets, and the domed
satchel with the front whip stitched pocket, and the Chelsea, just to name a few.
And in the pebbled leather area, I've seen the Sara (or Sarah) satchel/tote/shopper make
a reappearance also. Another oldie but good. Some of these styles are somewhere in my closet.
Others I missed or passed up first time around. Experience and time gives us wisdom and I
appreciate them all the more now.

I'm excited to see these older styles return. I hope the quality is as good as it was,
although I know the price will be higher. And, if Dooney releases the rainbow of colors
as time goes on, that will be exciting too.... and just the excuse I need to add more to my collection.

What old/new styles have you seen lately? Any on your wish list?

I've seen the comeback styles on QVC. None have attracted my attention. I think because I'm looking for older, lighter bags. I think I would enjoy the Venus line more this time. Or the lightweight patent satchels that didn't have leather trim and weren't so structured. I see them on Poshmark but I would love a new satchel. Also, as you know, I would love to see the 1975 classic satchel re-introduced. :smile:

I've seen the comeback styles on QVC. None have attracted my attention. I think because I'm looking for older, lighter bags. I think I would enjoy the Venus line more this time. Or the lightweight patent satchels that didn't have leather trim and weren't so structured. I see them on Poshmark but I would love a new satchel. Also, as you know, I would love to see the 1975 classic satchel re-introduced. :smile:
RN: from my personal experience.... patent leather does not always hold up
well to life's challenges. Specifically, I have had the surface of patent leather bags
ruined by droplets of perfume and hairspray. The chemicals in these (and other products)
can eat right thru the coating of the patent leather, leaving small holes. It doesn't take a lot,
just a spray that somehow reaches the handbag on your arm or sitting on your dresser.
Hand sanitizer gels and sprays are also dangerous to patent leather. Sanitizing wipes may also be risky.

So, it's not only what you do, but what others do..... someone else spraying perfume or hairspray
in a powder room can put your handbag in danger if a droplet connects with your patent leather.

Be very careful if buying patent leather handbags preloved and check them over very carefully.
Most people don't see or realize a bag can have that type of damage. But once you see it on
your bag, you never forget. I gave away a brand new Dooney Bordeaux handbag that I loved
after I accidently damaged it by spraying my perfume too close to the bag, the first time I took
the bag out for an evening.

In addition, patent leather can get cloudy and sticky (although I haven't had these problems
with Dooney patent leather). And color transfer is a possible issue for light color patent leather.
Patent leather handbags also require special care during storage to be sure no other handbags
press against the surface and the handles are standing up and don't leave marks on the leather.

Bottom line, patent leather is not a carefree option. While chemicals can damage any handbag
surface, on patent leather the damage is very visible.

Reactions: defeated and OJane
Thanks LJ,
I'm careful about all the pre-loved bags I buy. My recent red patent leather Poshmark bag arrived in good condition. I just wish it was smaller, with no outside pockets. (I can't make up my mind, can I?) I saw a woman at the outlet a few years ago with a Dooney purple patent leather satchel. She said she got it at a thrift store for $60.00. It looked so good I honestly couldn't look at the bags on sale in the Dooney outlet any longer because I wanted her bag! Before I could say what I was thinking (it must have shown on my face), she said so many people offer to buy the bag but she loves it too much to sale it! :lol:

BTW, I switched back to my blue 1975 Siggy classic satchel this morning. I love the red satchel but I was waiting for my food order yesterday afternoon at a place that has a floor to ceiling mirror across one wall. I was looking at my bag and because of the height of it, it folds over and looks bad. (Squished? Folded over?) That's why I said I wish they would re-introduce the 1975 classic satchel. It's just the right height to wear crossbody. The red satchel looks great handheld but I don't carrying it that way.

Last edited:
RN: from my personal experience.... patent leather does not always hold up
well to life's challenges. Specifically, I have had the surface of patent leather bags
ruined by droplets of perfume and hairspray. The chemicals in these (and other products)
can eat right thru the coating of the patent leather, leaving small holes. It doesn't take a lot,
just a spray that somehow reaches the handbag on your arm or sitting on your dresser.
Hand sanitizer gels and sprays are also dangerous to patent leather. Sanitizing wipes may also be risky.

So, it's not only what you do, but what others do..... someone else spraying perfume or hairspray
in a powder room can put your handbag in danger if a droplet connects with your patent leather.

Be very careful if buying patent leather handbags preloved and check them over very carefully.
Most people don't see or realize a bag can have that type of damage. But once you see it on
your bag, you never forget. I gave away a brand new Dooney Bordeaux handbag that I loved
after I accidently damaged it by spraying my perfume too close to the bag, the first time I took
the bag out for an evening.

In addition, patent leather can get cloudy and sticky (although I haven't had these problems
with Dooney patent leather). And color transfer is a possible issue for light color patent leather.
Patent leather handbags also require special care during storage to be sure no other handbags
press against the surface and the handles are standing up and don't leave marks on the leather.

Bottom line, patent leather is not a carefree option. While chemicals can damage any handbag
surface, on patent leather the damage is very visible.
Had some patent dooney years ago...the white turned a horrible yellow...never again.

Had some patent dooney years ago...the white turned a horrible yellow...never again.
I know how that is. Once something like that happens it's hard to give it another look. I had two Dooney white patent totes but I gifted them just a few months after I purchased them because I was moving. I don't know what they look like now (7 years later), or if the person I gave them to still has them.

RN and PF: this discussion has made me think about how much different each person can
experience/judge a handbags quality/durability. Some people use a handbag exclusively for
weeks or months or years, others rotate their handbags very often (daily or weekly). So on
that basis alone the usage is so different and the wear and tear the handbag is exposed to
is dramatically different. Add to that, how much we pack into that handbag and to what degree
the bag is babied or tossed about. It's no wonder we each have different handbag disappointments and
horror stories.

I just received the nylon E/W Dooney shopper. And it's fine. The nylon is the heavy
canvas like nylon and the leather trim is well done. It has 3 snaps across the top.
But I couldn't help thinking that handbag would not work well for some others....
the strappy handles are thin. Not an issue for me since I don't overload a large bag
(my normal carry is heavy enough) and I hand carry. But for someone who shoulder
carries, those thin straps might be a uncomfortable if the bag is loaded with a heavy carry.

And, the way the straps are secured to the bag... with what appears to be just a few sets
of stitches at the top, concerns me. A heavy carry, with the bag tilted open to get inside
and held by one strap.... that's a recipe for the stitches to weaken over
time. A small design change could have fixed that. But.... the key is that for my
usage.... not very often and not overloaded..... I'll probably never have an issue.
For someone else who uses the bag daily and carries around a laptop or
water bottles and umbrellas, etc.... they may not have the
same experience after a year of use.

I may be a nerd.... but how handbag straps are attached has always been one of the
things I look at. I sometimes miss other potential issues, but that's one area I
try to check on before buying a handbag.