Oldie but a Goodie Reveal

swolfcg

O.G.
Dec 18, 2006
First off, I want to say hi to all in this sub-forum. I didn't want to start another thread just for this post, but I didn't see any other that I could piggyback off of.

This is my first Mulberry, so none of you have probably heard of me. I've been on sort of a bag hiatus for awhile, but before that I bought mostly HH or LP, and once Chloe.

I apologize in advance for the terrible Ipic. My camera is currently at work. I just have a couple of concerns, that maybe some of you can address. 1-This bag is no where near 3lbs, at least it doesn't feel as if it's heavy. I purchased it on fleabay (for $390), but its authecity was sort of given a thumbs up. The condition of the bag is very good, especially for its age.

Second question is, how concerned should I be with attaching an extra strap to its ears? They seems solid enough, but has anyone actually heard of anyone damaging their bag by attaching a strap or is it just something that we are warned against? Also, anyone know the strap length/drop of the Rosemary?

Overall, I'm very pleased with this long sought after bag, even if it's no longer an "IT" bag. The color in the pic below is better representation than the pics I've seen online. More oak, less yellow/gold. -Steph

0cdafb4e-f68c-43dd-892a-6841a0696e55.jpg

Last edited:
Hi, and congratulations on a Mulberry classic!

The Roxanne is not designed to have a strap attached to it. It's a big bag and, when loaded, it places stress on the "ears" causing them to stretch. Mulberry wouldn't repair a bag which became damaged because it was used for a purpose it was not designed for.

It's smaller sister, Rosemary, came with a shoulder strap so that the bag could be used as a shoulder-bag or hand-held.

There are some pictures here of the Rosemary being modelled on the Mulberry Catwalk thread..............

http://forum.purseblog.com/search.php?searchid=31251765

Hi and welcome to our little corner of the PF. I'm glad you started a new thread, would've hated for this to got lost on someone elses reveal. Well done on such a fabulous classic for your first Mulberry. IMHO Mulberry at it's best. Congrats on such a gorgeous find, the leather looks sumptious.

Congratulations!! Looks genuine to me - and it will feel heavy, once you're carting the kitchen sink around with you (which you can almost fit into a Roxy :biggrin:).

Looks in a lovely condition too - give it a spray of Waterproofing such as Collonil before you go out in damp/wet weather, and it will stay this way.

Thanks all. I've wanted this bag for 5+yrs. I finally went for it when I was pondering on the latest "IT" bag, Alexa. I like Alexa, but it does seem a bit cheaply made, compared to the oldies. I'm just basing this off of what I've heard/seen online, since no retailer sells Mulberry in San Diego. I would have to drive up to LA to see them in person. I still want a Proenza Schouler PS1 in all black, but I really can't justify spending $2K for a bag. I told myself I would never buy a $1K bag after buying a Chloe that I didn't really love, almost 7yrs ago. I guess it's a personal choice, but I'm not sure if I'll ever be able to justify buying a bag for $1K+ again, unless I win the lottery (which I don't play, lol).

As far as condition, I gave this bag a bit of love when I got it. After all it is an oldie, even if it was fairly preserved. I used Leather Magic's Leather Conditioner. I've found almost any leather cleaner will remove at least some of the color. It had a few marks, but none on the front, so I didn't feel the need to go as far as using the old soapy water method. Wilson and Apple Leather have a spray that doesn't change the bag's color.

Anyways, in regards to the straps, has anyone actually heard of someone reporting back damage from connecting a strap to the ears? I hear you on the weight. After loading the bag with books to regain the shape, it took on a bit of uncomfortable weight, but empty, it's pretty light. However, not as light as the new bags that are made with thinner leather.

I'm currently pondering on the following straps:

From Etsy, and it would actually be 30":

I found that Banjo Straps mostly have hooks and are pretty much ready made for this purpose, go figure.

Last edited:
I've attached a strap on my roxanne since I like my hands free but I don't weigh the bag down too much since it is quite heavy. Only carry wallet, keys and makeup pouch, no books or water bottle. I've also purchased the strap from etsy after seeing it on this forum somewhere.
photocopy3-1.jpg

I've attached a strap on my roxanne since I like my hands free but I don't weigh the bag down too much since it is quite heavy. Only carry wallet, keys and makeup pouch, no books or water bottle. I've also purchased the strap from etsy after seeing it on this forum somewhere.
photocopy3-1.jpg

Super sweet. Thanks for that. Too bad I don't have a black bag. I saw quite a few nice vintage straps that would go well with a black bag. The ears seem solid enough. In any case, I paid $390, so I'm not too afraid of damaging it. I would be more worried to do something like that to a $2K bag.

I'm currently awaiting a leather swatch from a Etsy designer. She's out of leather, so I'm trying to find the best match. I know I want a strap. The the two handles fit on my arm, but it's not easy or fast, which I know would be best for everyday use.

Believe it or not my roxy is chocolate. It looks darker in the pic. I also used this strap for my oak since I thought the gold in the strap would complement the studs. I'm sure your roxanne will look stunning no matter what strap you chose. It is style that got me hooked on Mulberry. I also have the roxy in rio, chocolate rosy and the blenheim.
photocopy3-2.jpg

Believe it or not my roxy is chocolate. It looks darker in the pic. I also used this strap for my oak since I thought the gold in the strap would complement the studs. I'm sure your roxanne will look stunning no matter what strap you chose. It is style that got me hooked on Mulberry. I also have the roxy in rio, chocolate rosy and the blenheim.
photocopy3-2.jpg

I really like chocolate as well. Actually this bag is so cute, that I don't think you could go wrong with any color. However, I don't think I'll be planning a collection of different colors in this bag. One is enough, I think. I did that a couple of time with other bags in a different brand, and I always thought what the heck.