Older Costume Jewellery Markings

shinymagpie

vintage bag lady
Mar 29, 2008
Here are some markings from my collection of vintage jewellery. I am posting these to help people identify some of the older markings and also what can happen when bits drop off the markings. These are pre date stamping. The earliest date stamp I have is from a belt in 1982, but on earrings, the earliest date stamp I have is 1992.
Chanel Vintage Earrings.jpg

Gold and pearl clips Vintage.jpg

vintage clips.jpg

vintage earrings with plate removed.jpg

Thanks Alex. I know that Sophie and I had a conversation earlier this year about the oval stamps with the single digit numbers on either side of the interlocking CC logo. We determined that they stood for the season the piece was released. So for instance the earrings shown below are from season 23.

The only thing we haven't quite figured out is how to determine year based on the season. We know that Karl's first collection was Spring/Summer 1983 so that would be considered season 1 and we go from there. We just haven't been able to confirm the later seasons to the years of production.

attachment.php

Thanks Alex. I know that Sophie and I had a conversation earlier this year about the oval stamps with the single digit numbers on either side of the interlocking CC logo. We determined that they stood for the season the piece was released. So for instance the earrings shown below are from season 23.

The only thing we haven't quite figured out is how to determine year based on the season. We know that Karl's first collection was Spring/Summer 1983 so that would be considered season 1 and we go from there. We just haven't been able to confirm the later seasons to the years of production.

attachment.php

The earrings in this picture appear in one of my look books as new during 1991 Spring Summer. They were originally ¥40000 or about $400 and the magazine says that there was a matching necklace and bracelet too. They are marked 2 3.

I am interested in chain belt markings too. I have a few of these, but haven't fully photographed. These seem to have a marking protocol change during the 1980's too.

Attachments

• 1992 collection 3 wheat back.jpg
    1992 collection 3 wheat back.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 310
The earrings in this picture appear in one of my look books as new during 1991 Spring Summer. They were originally ¥40000 or about $400 and the magazine says that there was a matching necklace and bracelet too. They are marked 2 3.

I will start keeping notes then on seasons and corresponding years, now I know season 23 = SS1991. Thank you.

I will start keeping notes then on seasons and corresponding years, now I know season 23 = SS1991. Thank you.

No problem. I am just moving house, so as soon as I am settled I can take a look at the look books and find other key dates for you.

It's lucky that Japanese collectors keep very good records and publish them in their magazines! So we can get information from the public domain.

Round Plate embossed Pearl Clips face.jpg

Round Plate Pearl embossed stamp.jpg

[Pearl earrings These are round plate style markings, but as the backing is a solid panel, the marking is engraved directly into the backing. The positioning of the mark is different on each earring. Again these are 70's to 80's. These are interesting because the style of the CC used on the front has been revisited during the 90's as a logo on various items such as wallets.

Chanel Pin Brooch CHANEL embossed. Back.jpg

Chanel Pin Brooch CHANEL embossed..jpg

Pearl Pin with the same CC as the earrings. This one has a CHANEL direct marking. This is possibly earlier than the 70's. Yet to be determined.

Round Plate Dangle Clips .jpg

Long drop earrings round plate. These are interesting because the logo is sideways when worn. There are a few larger old style totes that have sideways logo dangles on them. Usually it is upright.

Left out a photo from the Crystal earrings - here's the back of the CC earrings with the CCHANEL marking. This marking is the same as one used on metal buttons at various times. Chanel Earring Diamente CC Model 208411.jpg