Old school RM

Mar 2, 2008
Hi Guys,
Maybe this is just me but I miss the old school RM from 2008 and earlier. I feel like the leather seems softer and buttery and I miss the long tassels. I haven't been into RM since 2008. I really miss the full size matinee. What do you guys think? Is there a difference between the old school RM and the new ones?

I honestly think it depends on the leather type. Just because it's old school doesn't instantly make it softer and more buttery.

She's also brought back the long tassels. And she has been making Matties, though not too often as of late.

i have an old school matinee in eggplant and the leather is super stiff. it has beautiful paisley lining but i never ever wear it because it's like carrying around a hard box. i'm just keeping it for "the collection" (or until my mother wants it) :/

Super soft, buttery, leathers are still around every season....not just pre-2008. I admit that I would like to see the long finished tassels make their way back again.

I know it sounds stupid, but the unfinished tassels are keeping me from pulling the trigger on a full sized Mattie. I would buy that puppy in a minute if the tassels were finished. I have even thought about having the unfinished side dyed, but that seemed like a lot of trouble. So I keep looking. Are finished tassels coming back? Has anyone heard that?

finished tassels are beautiful, i agree. however, i'm more of a fan of the unfinished tassels. i love the "rocker" edge they give to the bag... maybe it's because I like Balenciaga too?

either way, tassels shouldn't stop you from buying a beautiful bag. you can always take them off :smile:

I miss the long finished tassels too!

I know it sounds stupid, but the unfinished tassels are keeping me from pulling the trigger on a full sized Mattie. I would buy that puppy in a minute if the tassels were finished. I have even thought about having the unfinished side dyed, but that seemed like a lot of trouble. So I keep looking. Are finished tassels coming back? Has anyone heard that?

I think in RM terms, finished tassels refer to those slightly broader tassels which are 'finished' with a small D-ring at the ends. Both finished and unfinished tassels have a raw (unfinished) side. I hope I didn't confuse you.

^^^^Hmmm. I am confused then. I have seen some purple tassels, that are purple on both sides, and some purple tassels that look nude on one side. But as Booksandbags said, I can always take the tassel off. I'm such a RM newbie, I just want one of everything she makes. :woohoo:

^ Sorry to confuse you. RM did have several leathers, where the raw (unfinished) side is nude/beige in color. But again, finished/unfinished tassles in RM usually refers to the presence/absence of the D-ring at the end.

Here are some pictures from the reference libary.
Long unfinished tassels:
http://forum.purseblog.com/rebecca-...ures-of-your-mab-mam-pics-only-188313-19.html
Post #277

Short finished tassels:
http://forum.purseblog.com/rebecca-...ures-of-your-mab-mam-pics-only-188313-20.html
Post #290

Long finished tassels:
http://forum.purseblog.com/rebecca-...ures-of-your-mab-mam-pics-only-188313-20.html
Post #292

thanks for all the reference threads. I revise my statement, I like both the finished and unfinished tassels as long as they aren't nude, but in all honesty, I'm not going to let the nude side of tassels keep me from getting an otherwise perfect bag. My favorite tassels, are the ones with the metal rings on the ends. Those are Finished. That would be 'old school' right?

thanks for all the reference threads. I revise my statement, I like both the finished and unfinished tassels as long as they aren't nude, but in all honesty, I'm not going to let the nude side of tassels keep me from getting an otherwise perfect bag. My favorite tassels, are the ones with the metal rings on the ends. Those are Finished. That would be 'old school' right?

That's normally referred to as part of the old-school hardware, but I think the oldest MABs/MAMs have long, skinny unfinished tassels.