Old, old Gucci bag

liamay

Sep 5, 2008
I went to a thrift store today and saw a classic looking black purse. It was $4.89. I hemmed and hawed and finally bought it. On the way home my daughter saw a rip in the side in the stitching. I asked her if there was a label and she said "Made in Italy by Gucci. It is all black and appears to be from the fifties or sixties. It looks like something Grace Kelly would have had. I've had "fakes," and this is definately not one. It is ancient. Could anyone help me with the year or how much it is worth? I know with the rip it is not worth much, but does anyone have any ideas how I could get it repaired. It's really classy looking. Thanks.
Lynn

Wow, What a great thrift store find!
I'm big on haunting the thrift stores.
My best find so far was an unused Chinese Laundry bag for $1 and a brand new Monsac for $9.
Sorry I can't help ID, but congrats nonetheless.

There was an article today in Vogue about Marylin Monroe. It was written that she had a lot of handbags all over her house. When she passed, the person in charge of her estate was putting important paperwork into a red leather Gucci bag that she owned. How cool would it be to own a bag that Marylin held in her hand?

Awesome thrift store find, would love to see pictures!
Ankur

I bought a domed satchel the other day in a thrift/consignment store that turned out to be a LV Epi Alma.
I didn't even know what it was until I saw the LV on it....it appears to be real although I'm certainly no authority....I only paid $3.00 for it. It's black with a gray suade lining. I have no idea how old it is. The serial No. (?) inside reads, M51130. I was going to make some pics of it and post them here to see what people thought but I haven't gotten around to it yet.
Then the other day, I bought a Kate Spade black shoulderbag for $1.50 at a thrift store. Woo!
Buying designer bags at thrift/consignment stores is about my speed...:P

I bought a domed satchel the other day in a thrift/consignment store that turned out to be a LV Epi Alma.
I didn't even know what it was until I saw the LV on it....it appears to be real although I'm certainly no authority....I only paid $3.00 for it. It's black with a gray suade lining. I have no idea how old it is. The serial No. (?) inside reads, M51130. I was going to make some pics of it and post them here to see what people thought but I haven't gotten around to it yet.
Then the other day, I bought a Kate Spade black shoulderbag for $1.50 at a thrift store. Woo!
Buying designer bags at thrift/consignment stores is about my speed...:P
You shoud post pictures in the LV forum - authenicate thread. I'm not sure that LV uses suede in the Almas?

I worked at a shop called plato's closet in Alaska and we bought/sold gently used clothing and accessories when a vintage, soft, gorgeous chanel came in. Totally authentic, the woman didn't understand what she had so I gave her the max we're allowed to give for an item and I bought it for myself. Such a great find.

Take some pics and post in the Authenticate This thread in the Gucci forum. Make sure you get close ups of the fabric, zippers and back of inner tag.

It is impossible to say without pics. :shrugs: