Old makeup stain on my Hermes scarf...HELP

JessieRose

Couture, it's my bag
O.G.
May 8, 2009
Hi ladies. I recently purchased a BEAUTIFUL, large second-hand Hermes scarf and it has some old makeup stains on it. I didn't see them until I brought it home from the consignment boutique and I am so upset! What is the best method for trying to get them out without destroying this beauty? Any suggestions (methods, products, encouragement) would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! :flowers:

You can try to wash it yourself (there are several threads with detailed instructions), or you can send it to Hermes to clean it for you. There are also a couple of specialized cleaners/laundries in NYC that do Hermes scarves - you can search for the various threads about all these things.

If you don't want to try it yourself, you could send it to one of two places in NY. Hermes
sends their scarves to Tiecrafters (212-629-5800). I've also read some excellent
reviews on this forum of Mme. Paulette (212-838-6827). Good luck!!

Oh I do sympathise I have had the same when buying second hand from the bay. A professional cleaner is probably the safest bet, but I have always tried myself and then learned to live with whatever it is, as often only you know it is there!
Some stains can be removed some cannot it depends what the stain is and how long it has been there - none of which you can know. I have used a mild stain treatment soap called Vanish that I get here, I lather it gently into the stain and leave it for a few minutes to soak then wash out sometimes it works sometimes it does not - again depends on the stain.
I think you can get away with more treatment if the scarf is a pale colour. The problem is of course we are dealing with a delicate natural fibre so biological soap is a "no no" worst luck!
There is a silk friendly spot remover made by Silk & Clean that you can get here in the UK from Marks & Spencers (usually in the mens dept for silk ties £3.50 for 5 pads) and I have had the same one given to me at Frey Wille (I think they only have a store in LA) when I bought a scarf from them. I got some grease marks out partially using one of those pads but the stuff evaporates really fast so you have to work quickly!

Here's the link to CobaltBlu's fabulous washing thread - lots of good advice in there:

http://forum.purseblog.com/hermes/handwashing-scarves-pictures-part-i-253397.html

Last edited:
I've taken mine to the local drycleaners after lipsticks stains & was very happy it came back in great condition.Maybe you can get lucky too with a decent drycleaner.

The quality of ones local dry cleaners varies tremendously. They often press down the rolled hems and use harsh chemicals. I would be VERY leery of using a local cleaner.

The quality of ones local dry cleaners varies tremendously. They often press down the rolled hems and use harsh chemicals. I would be VERY leery of using a local cleaner.

A quality local dry cleaner can do a great job. Mine cleans everything, including formal gowns. They do a fantastic job and have never pressed my rolled hems. And while they are expensive, they are not as pricey as sending to NYC for cleaning. Just do a little homework. And give detailed directions on what you want done.

some great tips here :yes: but just thought i'd add that if it's a fairly old scarf the colours could run in the wash if you try to diy, especially reds (i ended up with some pink spots when red ran into white one :Push: ). if it's recent you shouldn't have any trouble washing it yourself, i only ever had a problem with the one scarf (from the early 80s i think).

^^ ITA about older scarves and red and green in particular are unstable and run.
I think you need to ask dry cleaners to use "perc" free chemicals and make sure they don't pin or staple their ID tags to the scarf but rather use the care label and leave the hems alone - that was the advice I have gleened from TPF!

Thank you for all the advice ladies! I have taken a Hermes scarf to my local dry cleaners before and told them to not press the hems and they did anyway!!! I was so upset! It is a light pink color but I think the makeup stain is old. Have you ever heard of tech? My local consignment shop used it on a Gucci scarf stain and the spot came right out!! I can't find it anywhere..it may be old and discontinued. I might buy LMB but not sure if that is just for cleaning or spot removal. I will look at Cobaltblus advice! :flowers: I will take before and after photos and post if it looks nice after!! Wish me luck!!