okay, can i share an e-bay pet peeve with y'all?

"A guy just asked me to do this with something I'm currently selling. He wanted it shipped to his friend in the Phillepenes(sp?) and for me to declare it as under $100 when it's worth more than $1000. I told him I was not comfortable with it and I'd overnight it to him in the states and he can deal with the overseas stuff."

I wouldn't mess with this guy...what is his eBay id? I had this same thing happen to me (along with several other members) and it is a paypal scam where he pays you with stolen paypal and credit card and you are without the bag and a chargeback is performed...huge headache and you won't see your $$ or handbag ever again. Just FYI!! Please pm me his ebay id...i have my case under investigation.

Whatever your understandings, though, I'm not actually sure what happens if the package is lost. For one thing, the seller isn't protected thru ebay's seller protection and if the buyer puts in a paypal claim, the seller doesn't have the proper documentation to support that they shipped--well, whatever it is that they shipped.

I had proper documentation, tracking, etc...and they still took the $$ from my account, even though the bag was signed for an not lost. I think it depends on the credit card used to pay, it was Discover, so the seller isn't protected.

I guess you could ask for payment like a wire transfer, so you will have your money. Alot of buyers might not feel comfortable with that though.

I would tell the buyer "I will only ship to your confirmed address on the paypal receipt" if you dont, you, the seller, arent protected I believe. or you could tell him that you will only accept a MO, WU or Bank Transfer for such a transaction and after the item leaves your hands, it is no longer your responsibility.

that being said, I've shipped to lots of international bidders that have a confirmed address on their paypal slip with no problems. no one has ever asked me to ship to someone else overseas though, i find that fishy. personally, i would consider relisting the item if the buyer will not do a MO/WU/BT. it's just weird and creepy...

I think it stinks that buyers want you to take the responsibility. I would never ever send an item marked as a gift because even if the chances are minimal something happens it's the seller who has the problem. The high custom fees are actually the reason for me not to buy overseas. I stay within the E.u to be rather safe than sorry. Sometimes i don't understand the some buyers. I do hate it as well when they aske you to sell the item cheaper because they love it so much but don't have the money. Sorry for ranting about this but I just had another inquiry for my unused LV bag to sell it almost 200$ cheaper WTF. Questions like this just waste my time.
I think you did the right thing AAA!

mocean said:
I would tell the buyer "I will only ship to your confirmed address on the paypal receipt" if you dont, you, the seller, arent protected I believe. or you could tell him that you will only accept a MO, WU or Bank Transfer for such a transaction and after the item leaves your hands, it is no longer your responsibility.

that being said, I've shipped to lots of international bidders that have a confirmed address on their paypal slip with no problems. no one has ever asked me to ship to someone else overseas though, i find that fishy. personally, i would consider relisting the item if the buyer will not do a MO/WU/BT. it's just weird and creepy...

the different address isn't *always* fishy. i tend to buy on ebay over the summer when i'm not at home and have it shipped to my summer address which is in a different country. it's not huge if they won't do it since my mail is re-directed anyway but it saves time.

in my experience sellers do usually undervalue packages for customs even without asking, but i rarely buy very high value items on ebay, at the most designer jeans really. if i hadn't asked them to undervalue it and had asked for insurance of course i'd expect them to sort things out but if i asked to have it undervalued that would be my problem completely.

and if import duties weren't such daylight robbery they'd probably make more money off them since people might declare the actual value :rant: i hear they raised the limit to AUD$1000 in australia which is fantastic. it might be less than most bags you'd bring in but considering the limit in the eu is around €50 it's mindblowing.

I'm an "overseas buyer" as I'm in Australia but I do not have a confirmed Paypal address. That's because PP doesn't/can't confirm most overseas addresses. I think at this time, apart from the US, they are only able to confirm Canada and UK addies. I have contacted Paypal numerous times over the years to ask and pester but they always give me the same response - that it has to do with international privacy laws. What I don't understand is, to become a verified member, I had to fax Paypal the front and back of my CC, the front and back of my driver's license, as well as a copy of a current CC statement, both which clearly show my address! So why they can't "confirm" me, is a mystery. I rang them about it and they just gave me the same crappy explanation that they can't confirm most o/s addies. I don't think they even listened to what I said. Ugh.. PAINPAL!

Sue in Germany there isn't a confirmed Paypal adress either but when you paid by cc through PP it confirms your adress and that is the same for the U.S sellers than a confirmed adress. May be it works like this in Aussie, too. by the way down under is my most favourite country in the world and all good buddies I made through my exchange student year in Costa Rica were from Australia/Tasmania.

BorsaBella said:
I had proper documentation, tracking, etc...and they still took the $$ from my account, even though the bag was signed for an not lost. I think it depends on the credit card used to pay, it was Discover, so the seller isn't protected.

I guess you could ask for payment like a wire transfer, so you will have your money. Alot of buyers might not feel comfortable with that though.

agree with borsabella better to ask for MO or western union payment so as to protect your $$$

im from the Philippines and i use western union to pay for my overseas purchases. i always ask seller to use fedex because that way we both can track the package and also i ask seller to declare $40 for the item at my own risk because i have been burned by custom fees-- one seller declared value of an item i purchased for $800 and customs are asking for $400 for an $800 declaration --really absurd!

i just wanted to put my 2 cents in... im in New Zealand, i always send stuff overseas - esp to Canada and the States (i have friends there) so i have no problem with that 'coz i know it gets there... :wlae: I'm also a buyer :nuts: i've had great experiences so far with everyone that i have bought bags from... i always make sure to keep in contact with the seller to make sure that the package is ok... i dont mind them declaring the ACTUAL price etc... i'd rather have them feel safe too!!!:nuts: Since i can only get my b-bags from overseas i do realise i always - well most of the time i occur customs fees... thats ok too!!!
I totally reckon - if you are the seller make it clear to the buyer that you want to be safe too!!! AND crap... you're offering FREE international shipping???!!! THATS AWESOME!!!!!! :wlae: :jammin:

scammers are everywhere so i say beware of unconfirmed paypal address etc.
the Philippines are getting bad rep about this because sellers were asked to send items here but those buyers/scammers are operating in the US and all over asia or maybe around the globe. i believe scammers are not only from here but evrywhere-- just look at the fake bags that are selling in ebay- syndicates of smuggling of drugs, fake bags and human smuggling etc I tell you Filipinos are God fearing they are just being used for labor but they are not masterminds of this kinds of things. some are just too dumb or too poor that they allow themselves to be used by these bad people

helenNZ said:
i just wanted to put my 2 cents in... im in New Zealand, i always send stuff overseas - esp to Canada and the States (i have friends there) so i have no problem with that 'coz i know it gets there... :wlae: I'm also a buyer :nuts: i've had great experiences so far with everyone that i have bought bags from... i always make sure to keep in contact with the seller to make sure that the package is ok... i dont mind them declaring the ACTUAL price etc... i'd rather have them feel safe too!!!:nuts: Since i can only get my b-bags from overseas i do realise i always - well most of the time i occur customs fees... thats ok too!!!
I totally reckon - if you are the seller make it clear to the buyer that you want to be safe too!!! AND crap... you're offering FREE international shipping???!!! THATS AWESOME!!!!!! :wlae: :jammin:

thanks helen-girl & everyone else who's responded :tender:...i just needed to vent & make sure i wasn't the crazy one :nuts: