Ok, sellers, how would you respond?

pandaluvr79

Jul 2, 2009
I just went onto eBay and had a message from one of my buyers. I had recently sold some brand-new cosmetics that hadn't even been opened by me. The message said:

"i have received my item. there was a dead bug resting between the lid and the glass bottle. why?"

I was a bit floored especially by the "why" at the end, as if I put the bug there as a joke or something. I really didn't even know how to respond. I finally just apologized and explained that I never even took the lid off the bottle, so I had no idea the bug was there. I assured her the item was brand-new and apologized again.

I just wasn't sure if she was fishing for a partial refund or full refund. Do you think I should have offered one? Now I'm worried about the feedback I'll get as well since she hasn't left me any yet.

Um... yuck. I think the why was asking how the bug got there if the item is new?

It depends on your buyer, but a bug is a deal breaker for me. I would probably ask for a refund (not that the bug is in any way your fault, but that's how I would react).

It's not your fault. I hope the lid was sealed? Then IMO you're safe. I wouldn't offer a partial refund I would just apologize. That is pretty gross though!

I would just apologize and reassure them that it was a unused and new item. I don't think I would offer a partial refund, it isn't your fault the bug got in there and you kept the items as new so obviously you had no way to open and check anyways.

I was bit grossed out myself. lol. If she had asked to return or for a partial refund, I would have just agreed to it to avoid any problems. But since she didn't, I just wasn't sure how she expected me to respond.

I guess just an "I have no idea what happened, that was a new and unused package, I wonder if something happened in the factory packaging process. Is there anything I can do to make it up to you?"
I know in that case, I would just let the issue go if I were the buyer. Silence on your end might make me mad, if I were the buyer.
JMO.

Why don't you ask her what she would like you to do?

Maybe she is just fishing for you to say "partial refund".

I too wouldn't be happy about a bug but those things can happen they shouldn't but

they do and since you are concerned about the fb I would ask her what she would like

to do and take it from there.. you could be pleasantly surprised and save the transaction

from turning into a unpleasant one

I guess just an "I have no idea what happened, that was a new and unused package, I wonder if something happened in the factory packaging process. Is there anything I can do to make it up to you?"
I know in that case, I would just let the issue go if I were the buyer. Silence on your end might make me mad, if I were the buyer.
JMO.

That's basically what I replied to her, in addition to apologizing. I didn't ask if there was anything else I could do for her, though, and am now wondering if I should have. I just didn't want to bring up a (partial) refund if she wasn't thinking along those lines. Hopefully, she was just looking for an explanation/apology.

It's just such a weird situation and totally unexpected, so I wanted to see how other's would have handled it.

Why don't you ask her what she would like you to do?

Maybe she is just fishing for you to say "partial refund".

I too wouldn't be happy about a bug but those things can happen they shouldn't but

they do and since you are concerned about the fb I would ask her what she would like

to do and take it from there.. you could be pleasantly surprised and save the transaction

from turning into a unpleasant one

Yeah, I'm seriously thinking about contacting her again and asking if she wants any further action on my part, even though I already replied before even posting on here. I'd rather lose money than get my first negative over something I really had no control over.

Yeah, I'm seriously thinking about contacting her again and asking if she wants any further action on my part, even though I already replied before even posting on here. I'd rather lose money than get my first negative over something I really had no control over.

Don't hesitate...offer a complete refund including return shipping charges. Not only will you show her you stand behind your sales, you'll (most likely) get a glowing fb praise for doing th right thing. I'd be more skeptical of a partial refund request as I don't believe that there are many circumstances where that is the best way to resolve an issue.

Don't hesitate...offer a complete refund including return shipping charges. Not only will you show her you stand behind your sales, you'll (most likely) get a glowing fb praise for doing th right thing. I'd be more skeptical of a partial refund request as I don't believe that there are many circumstances where that is the best way to resolve an issue.

I just messaged her again and asked her if she wanted to return it for a refund. It really wasn't that much money so doing a partial refund just seems a bit odd. Now, all I can do is wait and see how she responds.

This will go down as my weirdest eBay experience so far. :P

I think you did the right thing by offering the refund. Actually depending on the cost of postage, would you be better off to tell her to discard it, and you'll refund? Just a thought -- sometimes that's the easiest and cheapest. Though for things like clothes etc, if the item is going to cost a lot to get back to me, I ask that the customer donate the item to a charity of their choice and I refund them. But "buggy" makeup, I'd want discarded.

I would ask for a return and offer a full refund. You will take a bit loss on shipping costs of both way. But at least you can cancel the transaction and get Ebay final fee and Paypal fee back. I don't know what a true story behind that, but just in case someone makes up story and tries to get a partial refund. If that trick works, many might use it to get items for less.

I think you did the right thing by offering the refund. Actually depending on the cost of postage, would you be better off to tell her to discard it, and you'll refund? Just a thought -- sometimes that's the easiest and cheapest. Though for things like clothes etc, if the item is going to cost a lot to get back to me, I ask that the customer donate the item to a charity of their choice and I refund them. But "buggy" makeup, I'd want discarded.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll probably just wait to see how she wants to proceed from here. I've already sent 2 messages so I don't want to pester her with any more until I get a response.

I would ask for a return and offer a full refund. You will take a bit loss on shipping costs of both way. But at least you can cancel the transaction and get Ebay final fee and Paypal fee back. I don't know what a true story behind that, but just in case someone makes up story and tries to get a partial refund. If that trick works, many might use it to get items for less.

I didn't even consider getting the fees back. I'll have to look into how to cancel the transaction if it comes down to that. I've never had to do that before. Thanks!