Ok, Purple LM or SMM?

dyannek

Nov 10, 2006
Ok I am so confused now. With all the QC issues being stated on here, I am really concerned about purchasing a bag.

I wanted the LM in purple with silver hardware. I loved the bag. Jackie had one and I made a deposit. I was thrilled. THEN I began to read everyone's issues with the purple leather, also scuffed corners on different bags etc....Also issues about the LM being huge, heavy etc...

I am now scared to spend 745.00 on the bag. I have been looking at the different posts and really like the SMM in purple. The cost is a good bit less and it is a simple design which would seem to say "less chance of problems"

So which do you think? LM purple or SMM purple?

I am still buying my purple LM with the silver hardware (you lucky girl to get in on that!).

To be honest, I haven't (other than sara999) heard about any other problems with the Love Me in any color, but ladies, you can correct me?? So I felt confident that perhaps that style is less prone to the issues.

That said, when I receive it, it will be conditioned and water protected within an inch of its bag life when it gets here. (the LM that peeled wasn't protected) The purple color might be more delicate, so I intend on being very proactive with leather care.

BUT I will also examine the heck outta it when it gets here to make sure it isn't damaged. I am spending a LOT of money on that one bag, its gotta be perfect until, I myself, screw it up!

I'd keep the LM. I have the black crash LM and it's a great bag. However be very careful with the purple leather since it's delicate. I treated it ASAP when I received it. I think the color is very nice but very very delicate I stress as it's easy to scuff, scratch it and since it's such a bright leather, I think it stands out more then a duller matte leather like brown, grey, etc. would. With crash leathers, you don't notice any scratches since it's so tough which is why it's perfect for me for college.

thanks for all the answers so far. I am still undecided. LOL big surprise.

does anyone own both the LM and the SMM? what are the differences in weight and size? I can only afford one nice bag at a time. I had to sell the bag I have now to get a BE.

I work from home and I dont go out much. Just to take my daughter to school and then grocery shopping etc....I dont need a huge bag, but I am tall 5'9. I generally like Hobo style bags best. I want to be able to wear it on my shoulder, and dont like it right up in my armpit.

so I will use this everyday, it will have a wallet, sunglass case, Iphone and keys in it on a regular basis. sometimes I will carry a book if I am going to the DR office with my daughter. Maybe a few random items from time to time. I really want purple right now, so not really interested in another color. I will get another color later for fall.

so with all that being said....experienced BE girls what do you think is the best choice for me?

I have both a LM and a SMM. The LM is more trendy, and dressier than the SMM. The SMM is a very casual bag but it is also very comfy and very lightweight. It can easily accomdate all of your stuff as well.

The LM can also accomodate your things with tons of room to spare. It is heavier but not super heavy unless you fill it to the brim. I love wearing it by the longer strap, but it is also great wearing it by the shorter handles as well. I would go with the SMM for you as I think that would work best for you and your lifestyle.

I am the same height as you, but I needed mine for carrying more things, I work outside the house 3-4 days a week, so I needed it for my work stuff etc, so I needed more of a workhorse.

Eeek dyannek, I'm just as confused as you!!! I have always wanted the Love Me in purple, to which you beat me to!! ;)and have also been considering the stroke me medium in purple because like you I want it to be a functional bag for everyday use and it has to be in purple. But from what I'm hearing in this post I'm not sure it's the style that matters but the fact that the actual purple leather is very delicate. That is such a bummer considering I love Jackie's purple especially with the fushcia lining contrasting the leather, and I am not one to baby my bags, my TMA in natural has not been conditioned or cleaned since I bought it a year ago, and it looks nicely worn in, so I'm not sure at all about the purple leather now?!! Maybe contact sara999 and ask her in greater detail about her LM and get back to us cos I would be really interested to know especially as I'm hoping to get the SMM in purple this week, buy it that is.

For your needs, get a SMM. Although I think some girls about your height have stated it was too small on them but I think the SMM is good enough for neccessities. Plus since it's not large like the LM, it'll be easier to care for the leather. I think bright colors are best suited for smaller bags imo.

I have both a LM and a SMM. The LM is more trendy, and dressier than the SMM. The SMM is a very casual bag but it is also very comfy and very lightweight. It can easily accomdate all of your stuff as well.

The LM can also accomodate your things with tons of room to spare. It is heavier but not super heavy unless you fill it to the brim. I love wearing it by the longer strap, but it is also great wearing it by the shorter handles as well. I would go with the SMM for you as I think that would work best for you and your lifestyle.
ITA with kings20 on her statement above. I use my LM more when I am going places with all 3 of my kids, but to run around--I use my SMM more because it is just a FUN bag!

Get both I say, one in a different color!

I was concerned about the leather issues with purple as well, but dont want to baby a bag. But I really want the purple so I have decided to try the leather for myself and just go with the color. I did contact Sara999, and she would only say that her bag was a isolated incident and in no way should reflect on BE. She would not give any other info than that. I'm sure she just wants to put it to rest. so that was when I decided I really want the purple so I will have to try it for myself. I have Wilson's TLC weather proof conditioner that I intend to use on whatever bag I choose. Now I am just not sure on the style of bag I should get. dont rush into the SMM, if you can afford to wait a day or two, I might have Jackie change me to the SMM, and you could move into the LM. But I am really not sure yet, so do what is best for you. I dont want to upset anyone if I decide to go ahead with the LM. As you can see I am undecided!! LOL But I have to decide within the next two days or it will be too late to change.

Well honestly, out of my old thread that I started, there were some positive replies about the purple leather as well, and I actually bought mine based on the fact that the really damaged one wasn't conditioned before use.

Purple Concerns

Read through it and there are some gals who say they haven't been babying their purple bags and they have held up just fine.

I love the LM, and silver hardware would make it awesome, so that would be my vote. Also, it was my understanding too, like crazy4, that most people had had no problems with the purple leather...

Well, I went with the SMM in purple with silver hardware and the 11" drop. It shipped to me today! :yahoo:I am so excited! I still want a love me, what a gorgeous bag :love: but I decided that the purple would look better on the smaller more casual SMM and I would like the LM in a more classic color.

Sounds like you made a great decision! That SMM is going to be gorgeous! Post pics as soon as you get it for us BE purple fanatics! Even my DH thinks that purple is amazing and he doesn't care a fig for handbags!