Oh no! The Crocodile Hunter, Steve Irwin, is dead!

Magnolia said:
Excuse my ignorance, but don't you wear gear to prevent these types of accidents when diving???

You would, I would, and so would any other PF'er, but we're talking about a man who thought it was a brilliant ideal to dangle his infant son in front of hungry alligators. Let's just say he liked to take risks.

caitlin1214 said:
I feel for his wife and family! He was . . . reckless to say the least, but it was clear that he loved animals! (You might say, in a weird way, he died doing what he loved!) That doesn't make it any less horrible, but it might be some comfort to some people.

I agree. I'm sure his wife finds comfort in that. I'm in shock though. I used to love watching him.

I just find it so ironic that after years of dealing with lions, tigers, bears, cobras, and other extremely dangerous creatures, he was killed by a stingray. Not that they are harmless entirely, but you know what I mean.

what you saw was what you got. He was superman.. how could this happen?! HE was one of the Australian Genuine Icon...May his work live on forever!:crybaby:

It is unbelievebly sad. He was a great, great man & he'll be sadly missed.

He was only the third person ever in Australia to die from a stingray. They are very placid animals & most diver encounters with them are peacful. It appears that the severity of his injury was due to his being stuck in the heart.

Lets not take it out of proportion, you are still millions more times likely to die driving to the ocean, than diving in it.

Its a very sad day for world conservation.