Oh no sales tax back in NY!

seventy70

Aug 10, 2009
Apparently sales tax on clothes and shoes is going to be back in new york from Oct 1st. I believe currently under $100 or $110 there was no tax, well thats going to be back now. So sad...

The sales taxes in NY have three components - the state level, the metropolitan commuter transportation tax component, and the local municipality level component-- the state level + commuter exemptions have been eliminated:

http://www.nystax.gov/sbc/sales_tax_clothing_exemption.htm

So everything will be subject to the 4% tax, and then it will be jurisdiction by jurisdiction on the commuter and local taxes components... the NYC local sales tax of 4.0 % on clothing items of less than $110 was repealed in 2005 -- I don't know if that has been reinstated yet. The NYC tax rate for the commuter tax is .375% - so there will be at least 4.375% on clothing in NYC.. and possibly 8.375%

I was sad to read about this after only living in NY for a month. 4% is nothing compared to where moved here from (San Francisco is 9.75%) though, so it's not too bad I guess when you keep it in perspective.

8.37% is high considering you have not been paying taxes on clothing for quite some time. The taxing will end in March 2012. Until then I will be pumping my hard earned cash into the New Jersey economy (no tax).

some more info:
it will end on march 31, 2011 ... after that for one full year, no sales tax for clothing purchases $55 and under

i'm sad ... this means i have less than a week to find a fall jacket :shucks:

No sales tax was one of the reasons why I love NY so much. No tax compared to the 9.75% tax in LA was fabulous. Thank god I recently moved to Boston, where there's no tax on shoes or clothes up to $175!! Even better :smile: