**OH NO!!! Quilted being discontinued - No more STAMS!**

it's disappointing, but i understand why they feel like they need to go in another direction. it doesn't sell especially well from what i've heard, and, on top of that, has practically no resale value (with few style exceptions), which might deter some people from buying when they would be lucky to get maybe 15% of the retail price down the road.

maybe they're also just taking quilted bags out of play for a few seasons to get demand back up?

it's disappointing, but i understand why they feel like they need to go in another direction. it doesn't sell especially well from what i've heard, and, on top of that, has practically no resale value (with few style exceptions), which might deter some people from buying when they would be lucky to get maybe 15% of the retail price down the road.

maybe they're also just taking quilted bags out of play for a few seasons to get demand back up?
neimans is taking MJ bags out of their entire system. Once they sell what they have in inventory, there won't be any more.
(which to my pea brain means Bergdorf too, since they are the same people)

Last edited:
neimans is taking MJ bags out of their entire system. Once they sell what they have in inventory, there won't be anymore.
(which to my pea brain means Bergdorf too, since they are the same people)
that doesn't surprise. i've noticed it being slowly pulled from stores over the last few months

i don't understand what shifted. there's more variety than any other brand, IMO, and the prices are reasonable. last spring seemed to be when it started going downhill for some reason.

that doesn't surprise. i've noticed it being slowly pulled from stores over the last few months

i don't understand what shifted. there's more variety than any other brand, IMO, and the prices are reasonable. last spring seemed to be when it started going downhill for some reason.

I guess Marc Jacobs is trying to find that "it" bag again. I really love their bags, but would have to say I really enjoyed The Stam, The Blake, The Cecilia, The Single, all the oldie but goodies. The new bag styles are not as nice IMO. I tend to buy current Marc Jacobs bags now that remind me of the older styles - quilted, etc...:hrmm:

It's making me go back to LV and look at other brands more now, hopefully the next season will have some great new styles that will revive the brand......:shrugs:

I guess Marc Jacobs is trying to find that "it" bag again. I really love their bags, but would have to say I really enjoyed The Stam, The Blake, The Cecilia, The Single, all the oldie but goodies. The new bag styles are not as nice IMO. I tend to buy current Marc Jacobs bags now that remind me of the older styles - quilted, etc...:hrmm:

It's making me go back to LV and look at other brands more now, hopefully the next season will have some great new styles that will revive the brand......:shrugs:
I understand.
But if you see them IRL, be sure to take a closer look. The ones that he was inspired by the flight attendants and airlines of past are actually pretty cool. It's the quality of the leather and the simpleness of them that doesn't come across well over the computer but does when you have them in your hands. I am going to get a Georgie soon. And it looks so blah and plain on my computer but IRL it is fabulous! And the Charlie I got a few weeks ago is very cool. It is practical and lightweight and the leather is so luxurious.

Snippet from mj dot com:
Marc has had a long-time fascination with the Pan Am era and the flight bags worn by flight attendants, which has manifested itself this season in this group. Constructed of calf leather, The Joe is soft but durable, and maintains structure no matter how little is kept inside the bag.

Last edited:
Rather than discontinue it altogether, I'd sooner see this permanent at a price below $1K (!) with lighter weight materials, and more jewel colors. But I believe it might be one of the costlier bags to produce for MJ?

I've always wanted to have the opportunity to get the more lightweight Stams but due to finances, etc... There's always eBay, it's just finding the color you love that's the challenge. I've been able to strip/dye my metallic stam to black, so I may continue that with pre-owned.

nas, that blush is elegant and romantic :love:

Last edited:
Rather than discontinue it altogether, I'd sooner see this permanent at a price below $1K (!) with lighter weight materials, and more jewel colors. But I believe it might be one of the costlier bags to produce for MJ?

I've always wanted to have the opportunity to get the more lightweight Stams but due to finances, etc... There's always eBay, it's just finding the color you love that's the challenge. I've been able to strip/dye my metallic stam to black, so I may continue that with pre-owned.

nas, that blush is elegant and romantic :love:
Isn't it though!!! I love it.

I have been trying to put the pieces together with all of this.
1) Discontinuing quilted, but I see pieces still being made but now made from Thailand or non-Italy places
2) Discontinuing Stam
3) Pulled all quilted pieces from boutiques

In my pea brain, it seems logical that there is a problem with the quilting place in Italy. Maybe some dispute?

I would hope they would respect the Stam enough to simply discontinue instead of having it made in China or somewhere like that.

After buying other brands now - Valentino, Balenciaga - and seeing prices on, say, Celines, I think the Stam was underpriced. I would have preferred they continue it but raise the price. Its quality is the same as the other higher-priced brands.

My 2 cents'