oh no!! my poor babies :(

rjd2340

Aug 14, 2007
So I took two of my vintage Chanel bags for some leather conditioning and scuff-coverage to a reputable place--great reviews, reccomended by style websites, etc.-- At first when I got them they looked GREAT, and i took them outside to my car only to find a HUGE black stain on the white shirt I was wearing. It had been raining, so I wondered if that + whatever she did to the bags had caused some of the stuff she used to cover the scuffs to come off. I went back immediately to complain and she took a cloth over it, was very apologetic--INSISTED she didn't use shoe polish but rather "edge cleaner" or something to that extent--and said there shouldn't be any more problems with it. So I took it home and waited a while, and I took my own damp cloth over it to see if it would be safe to wear in the rain with any color besides black. NOT SAFE. Black ALL over the cloth.

Now, what I'm wondering--did she totally ruin my vintage Chanel beauties? Should I ask for my money back or demand that she further fix the problem? Is there anything she can even do at this point?

I know this sounds pathetic but I am SO sad about this. Please let me know if this has happened to any of you, or if not just tell me what you would do in my situation!! Thank you ladies ;)

ohhh noooo :sad: i would not trust her anywhere near the bags again. demand your money back AND more to fix the problem....did she blatantly say she did not use shoe shine or did you ask her if she used it 1st?

Yes! She blatantly said that without me even asking! I showed her my white shirt and the marks it made and everything...she made it seem like she felt really bad too. I just can't even believe it happened in the first place because this is supposed to be the best purse repair place in Seattle where I live! If I can't trust her, who CAN I trust? Ugh...I feel so bad about the whole thing!!

Bag Repair
Art Bag
735 Madison Avenue
212-744-2720
Modern Leather Goods
2 West 32nd Street
212-947-7770
Spilt Chianti, melted lipstick, vicious subway doors — when it's time to take that classic Kelly into the shop, go where Tod's, Stephane Kélian, Saks, and Denise Ridge go — to Art Bag or Modern Leather Goods. The two shops see 200 bags a week each — and employ a small army of leather workers and fabric houses. Services start at simple strap repairs and fabric dry cleaning (for about $65) and go right up through relining, rewelting, reglazing, replating, or giving up and re-creating.
This is one of the best places in NYC. Call them and see if you can send your bags to them.
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif

Are the bags lambskin? I ask because I have found that when my black lambskin bag gets wet in the rain, I have to be careful of color transfer if I am wearing something light. I never take lambskin out in the rain because it can leave permanent marks on the bag as well.

Are the bags lambskin? I ask because I have found that when my black lambskin bag gets wet in the rain, I have to be careful of color transfer if I am wearing something light. I never take lambskin out in the rain because it can leave permanent marks on the bag as well.

I totally agree Cyndee...I never take my lambskin bags out if there's potential rain because of color transfer and it can completely ruin the bag.

Take the bag to Chanel and let them fix the purse. DO NOT use ARTBAG in NY. I sent the heart chain there and they didn't do much at all except take my money. I felt so stupid for not taking it to Chanel in the first place. I didn't ask for the money back as it was my call to send it there.

Chanel performed a miracle with it and I remain extremely pleased with the work they've done. So you wait longer for the purse to come back, tis better than throwing your money away and being disappointed, imo.