OH NO! My bag is at the Brokerage!! :-((((

Miss YVR

Love Botkier
Feb 8, 2010
I ordered the Howard St. in Carnival a week ago and now my bag is being held at Customs and waiting for clearance.

Now here's the thing, if this is with Brokerage waiting for clearance, am I going to get dinged for fees etc? Also, I realized that since the bag is "snake skin", I might get penalized or Customs might destroy it because it's a forbidden item???

I'm worried now.

Last edited:
The bag is "stamped" snake skin, it is not real snake skin, so I don't think they will destroy it or anything. It's quite normal that customs charge import duties. Where I live, the import duty is 6%, and the sales tax is 19%, so I always have to end up paying about 30% more because the courier charges brokerage fee as well.

I now only have my packages shipped to me by USPS, and out of 5 times, I get charged import duties like once. But if my packages are shipped by UPS, FEDEX, or DHL, the chance of being charged is 100%.

I think you can find more information on the Ebay subforum, I've seen a lot of discussions over there, maybe someone from Canada can help you out.

Last edited:
Thank you for the info, Tejava. I don't mind paying for the fees but the thought of my bag getting destroyed by Customs?? I can't stand the thought.

So it's not real snake skin. That's good then. I was thinking about how to take care of this bag.

I think you will soon receive notice from your local post office, or if it was shipped by other couriers, they will contact you regarding the extra charges. Good luck, and don't forget to share with us once you receive the beautiful howard!

Miss YVR, I think you can expect to pay a 10% duty plus 12% GST/PST plus whatever customs brokerage clearance fee the courier company charges. UPS fees are killer but if it's coming by DHL then it's only something like $7.00. Good luck and congrats again on your bag-- it's a beauty!!!

Hi there, duty on leather bags made overseas (italy, indonesia, etc) is 20% plus 12% GST/PST. If you get lucky, they won't charge duty just the GST/PST. And yes, plus brokerage fee. Who is the carrier?

I have been through this many times before, it is such a bummer!

Good luck!