Hermes Special Order Bags

Since this thread is now huge and the internal links to frequently asked questions no longer work, here is a brief FAQ for newcomers to the Hermes Special Order process.

What are the current choices for "a la carte" Special Order bags?
Current color charts Page 1420 Post 21,296 February 7, 2024
Most Recently Known Selection Definitions (bag types, sizes, combos) Sept 4, 2021
Thread Choices for stitching.
Lucky Symbols for stamping.

What is an Hermes Special Order?
Each year Hermes gives select clients the opportunity to customize a classic bag in a made-to-order a la carte process. This thread is only for bag A La Carte orders (please use the separate threads for watch SOs and shoe SOs). "A la carte", "SO" (special order), and "HSS" (horse shoe stamp) are used interchangeably on this forum.

When is the Special Order season?
Currently, there is one SO season each calendar year, opening around the beginning of February and closing when slots run out or the end of December, whichever occurs first. New SO menus are typically leaked in February and remain constant until the following calendar year. Individual stores have complete discretion on when, within this window, they offer SO appointments to their clients.

Which specs can I customize?
Hermes defines which specs can be customized and these specs can change each SO season. Generally these specs include: leather type, leather color, and hardware color. At your SO appointment, your SA will present you will the limited menu of choices including bag types and sizes (Birkin 25, Kelly 28, etc), pre-set combination designs (line, verso, multico, etc), leather choices, leather colors, hardwares, and a map for which options can be selected for which bag type and size. Not all leathers and hardwares are allowed for all bag types and sizes.

Can I make physical changes to a bag definition during SO?
Sometimes clients would like to change a physical aspect of a bag, like increase the handle drop or add a pocket or a strap. Unfortunately, Hermes does not allow any type of alteration to the bag definition during SO. For extensive changes like these, a client would need to pursue a “Horizon order” which can be read about here.

How long will my SO take?
There is no way to predict how long a SO will take from placing the order to receipt of the finished product. Although Hermes has recently put forward efforts to fulfill a la carte orders within a year, it isn’t uncommon for bags to arrive in just a few months or also much longer than the year estimate.

Can my SA give me status my existing SO?
Unfortunately, the info that can be seen by SAs at the local store is very limited. They can generally see if the order is still outstanding (ie hasn’t been cancelled) but do not get status updates beyond that. Some stores will update clients when they get notice that a bag has been shipped from Paris but other stores wait until the bag is physically in store before alerting the client.

Do I need to place a deposit for SO?
In most regions of the world, a deposit is not required for SOs. However, some Asian and Middle Eastern locations do seem to request at least a partial deposit. Deposits may also be required in other regions if the SO selections are very personalized (ie if you have your personal initials hot stamped onto the bag) such that selling the bag to a different client, if the original client declines the bag, would be difficult.

Do I receive confirmation of my SO after placing my order?
In most regions of the world, the client gives their specifications to their SA and that is the last they hear about it until the bag arrives. Paris stores seem to be an exception to this and send the client a confirmation email within a few weeks of placing the order.

Is there a premium for a SO bag?
No, there is no premium price for SO bags. Their price is the same as any other standard stock bag of the same specifications at the time of delivery.

Is my SO a quota bag?
SO bags are generally counted toward a client’s two-bags-per-year limit at the time that the bag is received and paid for. If a client has already maxed out their quota bag allocation for the year, some stores will allow an exception to purchase your SO as a third bag for the year while other stores will require the customer to wait until a new calendar year before receiving the bag. These policies are subject to be changed per store at their convenience so it is always wise to check with your specific SA.

Where can I get ideas for my SO bag?
This thread shows unique combination bags and this thread shows contrasting stitching bags. Please consider posting your bag there once it arrives!

Where can I see historical SO menus?
2023 on post 19,874 page 1325 Feb 3, 2023
2022 on post 17,729 page 1182 Sept 13, 2021
2021 on post 15,439 page 1030 Aug 16, 2020
2020 on post 13,222 page 882 Aug 8, 2019
2019 on post 10,472 page 699 Sept 10, 2018
2018 on post 7,687 page 513 Sept 15, 2017
2017 on post 4,749 page 317 Sept 26, 2016

I just got offered my first SO and would love some help narrowing down my options! I've settled on four options, but unsure about interior colors for Options 1 & 2, which I am leaning more toward given other bags in my collection. I feel like Options 3 & 4 would be easier to come by and although they won't be verso, it'll be more feasible to encounter as a regular offer.

I love warm pinks with GHW but have had the toughest time getting one in a size I like, so thought this could be the best opportunity to cross a bag off my wish list, but I am very torn between RA Epsom & RL Chevre. Would also love advice regarding the interior pairings for Azalee & Lipstick. HELP! :sad:

Option 1
K25 Sellier Epsom Verso BGHW
Exterior: Rose Azalee
Interior: Orange Poppy, Capucine, Bougainvillea, Abricot, Malachite
Stitching: Tonal

Option 2
K25 Sellier Chevre Verso BGHW
Exterior: Rose Lipstick

Option 3
Mini Kelly II Ostrich Verso PHW
Exterior: Gris Agate
Interior: Rose Pourpre or Rose Mexico

Option 4
Mini Kelly II Chevre Verso PHW
Exterior: Magnolia
Interior: Bleu Zellige or Bleu Electrique

My current B/K collection is as follows so what is most lacking is a non-Mini Kelly and currently palladium predominates in terms of hardware:
  • MKII: Epsom Noir GHW, Ostrich Bleu Glacier GHW
  • B25: Togo Bambou GHW, Togo Rose Pourpre PHW, Togo Gold PHW
  • B30: Togo Lagoon PHW, Ostrich Rose Tyrien PHW, Ostrich Bleu Paon P
Amazing - congrats! You must be so excited! I’d say option 2 with Abricot, followed by option 1 with Abricot. Those colours would be so fun together - very 90s!

I just got offered my first SO and would love some help narrowing down my options! I've settled on four options, but unsure about interior colors for Options 1 & 2, which I am leaning more toward given other bags in my collection. I feel like Options 3 & 4 would be easier to come by and although they won't be verso, it'll be more feasible to encounter as a regular offer.

I love warm pinks with GHW but have had the toughest time getting one in a size I like, so thought this could be the best opportunity to cross a bag off my wish list, but I am very torn between RA Epsom & RL Chevre. Would also love advice regarding the interior pairings for Azalee & Lipstick. HELP! :sad:

Option 1

Option 2

Option 3

Option 4

My current B/K collection is as follows so what is most lacking is a non-Mini Kelly and currently palladium predominates in terms of hardware:
  • B30: Togo Lagoon PHW, Ostrich Rose Tyrien PHW, Ostrich Bleu Paon PHW, Croc Vert Olive PHW
Appreciate any help!

I would choose pink exterior with green interior personally.....far second choice being blue interior.

Not a fan of pink and orange together.

Good luck deciding!

Reactions: olibelli

Option 1

Option 2

Option 3

Option 4

• B30: Togo Lagoon PHW, Ostrich Rose Tyrien PHW, Ostrich Bleu Paon PHW, Croc Vert Olive PHW
Appreciate any help!

I would go with Option 2 since you don't have chevre in your collection. I love the bright pop of orange with pink, but if you want something very contrasting then I'd do the malachite. Good luck deciding! Can't wait to see pics!

Reactions: olibelli
I would choose option 1 or 2, with malachite lining.
This because it would be very contrasting between outside and inside and that's the whole point with verso bags (in my opinion).
I would go for OPTION 1 with Capucine lining. I find pink and orange always a beautiful colour clash.
Amazing - congrats! You must be so excited! I’d say option 2 with Abricot, followed by option 1 with Abricot. Those colours would be so fun together - very 90s!
I would choose pink exterior with green interior personally.....far second choice being blue interior.

Not a fan of pink and orange together.

Good luck deciding!
I would go with Option 2 since you don't have chevre in your collection. I love the bright pop of orange with pink, but if you want something very contrasting then I'd do the malachite. Good luck deciding! Can't wait to see pics!
Thank you all for your input! I have to admit that I am leaning more toward Option #2 since I don't have any Chevre currently and I love the idea of an Orange Poppy interior. Rose Azalee & Malachite is probably one of my all-time favourite pairings; however, I feel hesitant for some reason, and I think it's because I don't love the idea of the interior being darker than the exterior. If it were a Malachite Kelly, I have no doubt I'd go with an RA interior if it were available.

That said, I feel like one never knows until the day of :lol: this may all change when I see the swatches together... let's see. Will report back! Thank you all again :heart:

Wow, you received a chèvre SO within half a year, that is awesome. Whenever I read such timeframes I always wonder why mine takes so long. Maybe we can also start sharing here in this thread not just the specs of the bags and the duration about also in which country/continent the SO was ordered? I feel that certain locations are very quick while others take longer but maybe that is only my impression...

Wow, you received a chèvre SO within half a year, that is awesome. Whenever I read such timeframes I always wonder why mine takes so long. Maybe we can also start sharing here in this thread not just the specs of the bags and the duration about also in which country/continent the SO was ordered? I feel that certain locations are very quick while others take longer but maybe that is only my impression...
I was actually surprised that my bag arrived so soon as well. I’m based in the United States.

Hi lovely people! I was offered an SO after asking for a purse in Malachite for almost 2 years. I have decided to do Malachite in Epsom in a Mini Kelly II. I am not very brave and would love to do tonal lining. Does anyone know the closet matching stitch color between Vert Vertigo and Vert Emerald for Malachite in Epsom? My store misplaced the sample threads which makes it frustrating on selecting a coordinating thread according to names only.. Anyone please suggest what you think would be closest tonal stitch or if you have ability to check for me when doing your SO I would appreciate any feedback. I need to come back with my selection by next week. I was not allowed to list tonal stitching on the form unless I changed the interior which I really don't want to do.

If I cant figure out the closest tonal stich from the listed thread names then here is option 2:

Option 2: If changing my choice to verso and selecting a contrast lining I was told I would be allowed to list tonal stitching on the outside. What do you think would be the best option for Malachite Mini Kelly II? Here are my options for verso : vert bohphore, cactus, anemone, rose p, vert titien, lime, blue indigo, blue sapphire, blue colvert, gold, vert fonce, blue electrique, rose mexico, rouge grenat, bordeaux, or juan ambre.

I tried to compose a side by side to better get an idea of malachite as a verso. I honestly don't love any of them and am hoping to figure out which stitch color is a closest match to malachite epsom between vert vertigo thread and vert emerald thread to allow me to keep it more or less "tonal" as that is really my "dream" bag

malachite and linings.jpg

Last edited:
Hi lovely people! I was offered an SO after asking for a purse in Malachite for almost 2 years. I have decided to do Malachite in Epsom in a Mini Kelly II. I am not very brave and would love to do tonal lining. Does anyone know the closet matching stitch color between Vert Vertigo and Vert Emerald for Malachite in Epsom? My store misplaced the sample threads which makes it frustrating on selecting a coordinating thread according to names only.. Anyone please suggest what you think would be closest tonal stitch or if you have ability to check for me when doing your SO I would appreciate any feedback. I need to come back with my selection by next week. I was not allowed to list tonal stitching on the form unless I changed the interior which I really don't want to do.

If I cant figure out the closest tonal stich from the listed thread names then here is option 2:

Option 2: If changing my choice to verso and selecting a contrast lining I was told I would be allowed to list tonal stitching on the outside. What do you think would be the best option for Malachite Mini Kelly II? Here are my options for verso : vert bohphore, cactus, anemone, rose p, vert titien, lime, blue indigo, blue sapphire, blue colvert, gold, vert fonce, blue electrique, rose mexico, rouge grenat, bordeaux, or juan ambre.

I tried to compose a side by side to better get an idea of malachite as a verso. I honestly don't love any of them and am hoping to figure out which stitch color is a closest match to malachite epsom between vert vertigo thread and vert emerald thread to allow me to keep it more or less "tonal" as that is really my "dream" bag

View attachment 5069861
I feel like Vert Emerald would be "closer" since it's darker in tone, whereas VV is more vibrant and would therefore pop more. Here is a comparison thread between the two colors!

I personally love how Malachite looks with the RP interior, I think that would be stunning IRL. :smile: Good luck deciding!