Offer accepted, buyer said no longer interested, I relisted the bag, she now changed

MsSJones

Member
Sep 9, 2013
519
0
So 2 days ago, I sold a Mulberry bag for over £500. The buyer didn't pay instantly and of course that is normal so I was hoping she'd pay withing the next couple of days.

Today, I got a message saying she was no longer interested since she had already bought another Mulberry bag. She thought I wouldn't accept her offer because I didn't accept straight away and I accepted it a day later. I was very disappointed and annoyed, but didn't reply immediately because I was sure I'd not be very polite if I did answer back as soon as I read her message.

I replied 15 minutes later, telling her that if she had regretted making the offer she could have sent me a message about it or retracted her offer. However, I didn't want to force her to buy it and risk negative feedback so I'd agree to just cancel the transaction. I relisted the bag immediately and at the same time sent her a cancellation notice that she hasn't yet accepted.

In the meantime, I got another offer for the same amount from another seller.

Now that I checked my account I've seen a message from her telling me that the sale of the other bag fell through, so she now wants the bag!!

I really don't want to sell her the bag simply because of what happened. I want to sell it to the other buyer. However, what happens if she opens a case or leaves negative feedback?

If I sell the bag to the other buyer and she refuses to agree to the cancellation, will I get my fees back from the "purchase" she made?

Also what do I tell her? I haven't yet replied to her message about her wanting to go ahead and fulfil the sale.

Please let me know what you think.
 

idoru_meta

Member
Nov 29, 2013
25
0
Have you contacted ebay? I had a problem with a seller the other day, reported it to ebay and they got back to me within a few hours. Might be best to get the official line.

It does sound like she is totally unreliable and if she wanted more pictures she should have got them before clicking her mouse to buy. She can't get out of a sale then try to get back in but be halfway out the door. This isn't the bag hokey-pokey!

Also agree about not wanting to sell to her anyway. You want your cherished possessions to go to a home where they will be valued. Good luck, I hope it all works out!
 

IrisCole

O.G.
Dec 28, 2007
9,245
50
She hasn't made payment yet! She just said she wants to go ahead with the sale. And she also requested additional pictures now!!

Wait and see what others have to say, but I might consider sending her something along the lines of, "When you originally said you couldn't complete the sale, I relisted the bag. I've sent you a cancelation for the first listing, and then you can submit your offer on the new listing."

So, you're not saying that you're going to accept her offer, and it may get her to accept the cancelation. She might not go for it, but I have to say that I wouldn't be inclined to sell to her either: she's bidding on more than she can buy at once, backing out of at least one (possibly another) sale, AND asking for pictures after winning? No thank you.
 

gillianna

O.G.
Dec 27, 2005
8,289
2,177
Wouldn't Ebay records show in her email to you that she wished to cancel the transaction? So that should be enough for them to give you your final value fees on this bag if it was charged. I would not sell to her, why did the other sale fall through? Not really normal unless she bid and did not become the highest bidder with is really her problem because you already have a buyer who wants the bag and bought it the right way.
 

lshcat

Authenticator
O.G.
Mar 31, 2010
6,244
222
Wait and see what others have to say, but I might consider sending her something along the lines of, "When you originally said you couldn't complete the sale, I relisted the bag. I've sent you a cancelation for the first listing, and then you can submit your offer on the new listing."

So, you're not saying that you're going to accept her offer, and it may get her to accept the cancelation. She might not go for it, but I have to say that I wouldn't be inclined to sell to her either: she's bidding on more than she can buy at once, backing out of at least one (possibly another) sale, AND asking for pictures after winning? No thank you.


This is exactly what I would try too! In the future I wouldn't relist anything until you have a finalized first listing. Because you still may be obligated to her and to those fees. But for now she either needs to cancel the first sale or officially deny the canceled first sale, for you to know how to proceed from here OP. Don't accept a new offer yet but I would sure try to get out of that first one! :smile: Or not sure how long it takes for you to be able to close the sale if she never responds to the cancellation. But maybe enough days have passed you can close it out. Hopefully if she leaves neg. feedback for whatever reason, you can call eBay and explain in order to get the feedback removed. Keep us posted!
 

Portoar

Member
Dec 30, 2010
126
27
Wait and see what others have to say, but I might consider sending her something along the lines of, "When you originally said you couldn't complete the sale, I relisted the bag. I've sent you a cancelation for the first listing, and then you can submit your offer on the new listing."

So, you're not saying that you're going to accept her offer, and it may get her to accept the cancelation. She might not go for it, but I have to say that I wouldn't be inclined to sell to her either: she's bidding on more than she can buy at once, backing out of at least one (possibly another) sale, AND asking for pictures after winning? No thank you.
I agree with what IrisCole said. Seems like the best way to get her to accept the cancellation, then you can move forward with the other buyer.
 

BeenBurned

Coach, Dooney, Uggs
Authenticator
O.G.
Feb 25, 2007
49,824
22,171
This is exactly what I would try too! In the future I wouldn't relist anything until you have a finalized first listing. Because you still may be obligated to her and to those fees. But for now she either needs to cancel the first sale or officially deny the canceled first sale, for you to know how to proceed from here OP. Don't accept a new offer yet but I would sure try to get out of that first one! :smile: Or not sure how long it takes for you to be able to close the sale if she never responds to the cancellation. But maybe enough days have passed you can close it out. Hopefully if she leaves neg. feedback for whatever reason, you can call eBay and explain in order to get the feedback removed. Keep us posted!
After a week has passed without response from the buyer on a cancellation request, the seller can close the case and be credited with the FVF.

My concern in this case is that the buyer now wants the item so chances are that she'll deny the cancellation saying that she wants it. At that point, I would assume she'd pay for it.

If she doesn't pay, you can request removal of any feedback she might leave but if she pays, she'll be able to leave feedback.
 
Top