Food Offensive Toy Found in Kinder Surprise

caitlin1214

tPF Bish
O.G.
Jul 7, 2006
Mi'kmaq eggs on a Kinder apology

PRINCE.EDWARD.ISLAND (CBC) - A native activist on P.E.I. who was dismayed by the cultural stereotyping of a toy in a Kinder Surprise says the company was quick to respond to his complaint.

The Kinder Surprise is a chocolate egg with a small toy inside, but when Julie Pellissier-Lush's three-year-old son Shawn opened a Kinder Surprise she bought him last week the surprise was not a pleasant one.

"As soon as I saw what it was, I just took it and said, 'No, this is not something you're going to be playing with,' and put it away," Pellissier-Lush told CBC News Thursday.

The tiny plastic toy is a figure of a native man brandishing a tomahawk. It comes with a frowning, war-painted face in the form of a tee pee.

Pellissier-Lush works at the Mi'kmaq Friendship Centre and grew up on P.E.I.'s Lennox Island Reserve. She said the toy is extremely offensive.

"The more I thought about it the more I thought, 20 years growing up, things haven't changed too much," she said.

She showed the toy to her uncle, native activist John Joe Sark. He immediately e-mailed the Kinder Surprise company to complain.

"The toy is going to be played with by kids from four years on," Sark commented, "and what you do is you perpetuate a stereotype at that age."

Although upset by the toy, Sark was pleased by the reply

"We are very sorry that a toy from our Kinder Surprise collection has been found to be offensive to individuals in the Canadian aboriginal community," the company responded in an e-mail.

"In response to your concerns, we will pull this particular toy from future production plans immediately."

Sark said the incident was a great opportunity to create a cultural awareness. The company also asked for material to help improve the representation of the aboriginal community. Sark is sending some more positive images from Mi'kmaq mythology.

(http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/cbc/071215/canada/pei_kinder_toy)

I'm not posting a photo of the toy because I don't want to offend anyone. If any7one wants to see the toy, the linked article has a picture.

I'm surprised that anyone would find that offensive. :confused1: I think people are going a little overboard with political correctness. Now, if they had an Indian drinking "firewater" and scalping settlers, that I would find offensive.

This reminds me of an Xmas event several years ago.

A group of feminists broke into a Mattell warehouse and swapped some voiceboxes in the Barbie and GI Joe dolls.

Many families were startled to hear GI Joe say
"Let's go shopping"
The Barbie dolls said
"Dead men tell no tales"

A group of feminists broke into a Mattell warehouse and swapped some voiceboxes in the Barbie and GI Joe dolls.

"Let's go shopping"
The Barbie dolls said
"Dead men tell no tales"

ROTFLMAO! If my daughter's barbie said that, I'd have to keep it for myself! I bought my nephew a talking baseball toy, that starts out saying," Hey slugger!" I can't repeat what my teenage son and I thought it said. We had to replay it 2x's to make sure we were mistaken. :sweatdrop: It really sounded like," Hey f**ker!"

"Let's go shopping"
The Barbie dolls said
"Dead men tell no tales"

LOL! :roflmfao: That is too funny!

One of my friends bought a snowman that played Christmas carols from somewhere cheap like Walmart or the dollar store. So of course the thing is made in China. When she got it home and played it, NO JOKE, it sang "Fa ra ra ra ra instead of "Fa la la la la"! :lol: