Offensive or hilarious?

Sina

O.G.
Mar 29, 2006
What do you guys think about this website?

Black People Love Us!

I personally think it's hilarious! But some are offended by it. You can read in the "Letters" section what some people thought of it. I think some people definitely took it too seriously. hmmmm. Thoughts?

OMG that is really funny. I like it. They are turning racism around and making a joke out of it - sort of like defusing a potential bomb. I'm sure alot of people are going to respond to this thread saying the site is racist, but I think it's a very clever ploy. It's poking fun at our society and common stereotypes. It's great.

God, some of those testimonials are hilarious.

OMG that is really funny. I like it. They are turning racism around and making a joke out of it - sort of like defusing a potential bomb. I'm sure alot of people are going to respond to this thread saying the site is racist, but I think it's a very clever ploy.

God, some of those testimonials are hilarious.

I think it's really clever too. lol. The website reminds me of a lot of my friends.

I think I understand what their point is but therein is the slippery slope of successfully communicating a satirical point. If people aren't getting it, you've missed something. At face value, the site looks racist. But after reading more of it, it ends up coming across as trying too hard to be tongue in cheek clever. I would go back and rework it if I were them.
Just my humble opinion.

^ seee now that you guys pointed it out that its MEANT to be funny. then ya it really is..

but at first glance you dont get that they are making fun which made me hesitatnt

I think I understand what their point is but therein is the slippery slope of successfully communicating a satirical point. If people aren't getting it, you've missed something. At face value, the site looks racist. But after reading more of it, it ends up coming across as trying too hard to be tongue in cheek clever. I would go back and rework it if I were them.
Just my humble opinion.

Some people actually take The Colbert Report seriously--does this mean that Colbert's show is missing something? IMHO, no. Some people just never get satire. I teach high school and find that students generally don't get satire until the 11th/12th grade, and even then, some students just never get it. Could be language issues, cultural issues, who knows.

Some people actually take The Colbert Report seriously--does this mean that Colbert's show is missing something? IMHO, no. Some people just never get satire. I teach high school and find that students generally don't get satire until the 11th/12th grade, and even then, some students just never get it. Could be language issues, cultural issues, who knows.

yeah you make a good point. Some people just don't get satires... That sucks because I find that some of the best pieces of writing are satires.

^ seee now that you guys pointed it out that its MEANT to be funny. then ya it really is..

but at first glance you dont get that they are making fun which made me hesitatnt

yeah, I sometimes find that some people are too afraid of coming off racist. I was hesitant to post this because I thought people would think I was racist as well.

The advantage of a show like the Colbert Report is that you can hear an audience laughing. If people don't get that its supposed to be humorous, then they really do have a problem! With the website, there is no audible laughter to help you get that it is supposed to be humorous.