Of Status and Handbags -thoughts?

Pinstripes

Dec 2, 2006
Reading some of these threads has me wondering -what drives your purchase of a high-end handbag, is it truly the love of the bag itself or the status of carrying it?

I ask because, as I've been studying eBay auctions, and reading the used purse thread, I'm starting to wonder what status is left in an item (any item, not just a handbag) that is so readily available second-hand, deeply discounted from the original retail price. It seems like eBay has become the great equalizer; status can be bought by anyone now, on sale.

What truly defines "status" in something nowadays?

This thread isn't about knocking the purchase of status items second-hand, BTW, as I am certainly not about to give that pursuit up myself. :smile:

I buy the bag not the designer, if you know what I mean. I don't worry too much about what the status is of the bag/designer. If someone can get the same bag I have used at a discount that's fine by me. It doesn't affect the way I feel about the bag. Btw, some high-end bags can actually be more expensive on the secondary market.

Well, some of those eBay bags are still really expensive for the average person, so it's still not exactly an equalizer. (Isn't the average price of a handbag around $100 ... not close to the prices that these handbags sell for on eBay?)

<< If someone can get the same bag I have used at a discount that's fine by me. It doesn't affect the way I feel about the bag. >>

It wouldn't? Maybe not on a small scale, but on a larger one?

<< Btw, some high-end bags can actually be more expensive on the secondary market. >>

Yes, but I'm not talking about collector and limited-edition bags.

<< Well, some of those eBay bags are still really expensive for the average person, so it's still not exactly an equalizer. (Isn't the average price of a handbag around $100 ... not close to the prices that these handbags sell for on eBay?) >>

Yes, but I don't think the average person really recognizes high-end handbags. When I say eBay is the great equalizer, I mean for those who are cognizant of bags (or any luxury item) in the first place and are able to buy it.

People who know and care about designer bags recognize them when worn by others, but I think the vast majority of people do not recognize them, hence there is no "status" conferred. Among the people who recognize them, when a person is wearing a status bag she bought on eBay used for half off, is there intrinsically any "status" to this? I'm wondering if it's as much of a poser thing as buying a fake bag is.

Of course, if you wear the bag because you like the bag, that's something else, but I think that status and love of bag may be hard to separate, as evidenced by the threads here discussing if you can "go back" to a non-high end handbag.

i buy because of the quality, which leads them to be a status.

just like a good school, it's known because of their good education, and then when people entered it and lots of them succeed and proven to become a success person. then it leads to become a status if you are from or in that school.

quality and status always walks side by side to me.

i buy because of the quality, which leads them to be a status.

just like a good school, it's known because of their good education, and then when people entered it and lots of them succeed and proven to become a success person. then it leads to become a status if you are from or in that school.

quality and status always walks side by side to me.

:yes:

I like it for the leather. After feeling Chloe's leather, which is so nice feeling and high quality, Dooney & Bourke's (for example) leather isn't the same. I guess like anything, once you've gotten used to the good stuff it's hard to go back. Also, I keep my purses for YEARS (I still have a 10 yr old "good" purse from college). They'll last forever.

I got all of my purses except one Burberry for half price or less.

I sense a little pot stirring, both here and on the last 6-7 pages on the "authenticate this" thread for Louis Vuitton - and I wonder at the tone. Especially given the season, I hope we can keep this forum friendly - I know a lot of people on the authenticate this thread are disappointed the turn that thread is taking when they are trying to be so nice and donate their time and attention to helping people they don't even know. Here's hoping for a little kindness and nice threads - in honor of the nice people on this forum, and the season.

In answer to the question, I do not think most people buy LV or other high end purses for status - I think more for history, a love of the brand, quality, timelessness and enjoyment of luxury. While some people do purchase for status, I think you might find that type of thing more in people trying to falsely elevate status (i.e., people who purchase fakes). Most people I know that purchase LV products do so because they can afford it and they like the brand.

Merry Christmas all!

I think it's split between what Charleston Mom said and actually, the city involved. Where I live (Boca Raton) and where I grew up (Los Angeles) status IS the major issue for at least half of luxury bag carriers. Sometimes I love that and other times not! Anyway, the best purchase is one where we genuinely love the bag for itself, take great pleasure in it, it has plenty of room, it fits the occasion, and it has status!!!! yes?!!!

PS I have personally done a study on days that I wear my status bags and days when I carry non-status, to see reactions I get from people in snootier parts of town (correction: my whole town is snooty!! :P ) Its kinda like that actress who went out around town in a fat suit to gauge responses, compared to her slim self. I was looked at, or shall I say, checked out, in a different manner when had the status bag....kind of like with an admirable respect. Its kinda nauseating, isnt it?? :shrugs:

<< i buy because of the quality, which leads them to be a status. >>

I understand that. I am wondering at what point quality stops and status name starts in determining the price. For instance, I can't figure out Manolo Blahnik shoes at all. I've seen $1,000+ price tags on what appears to me to be a leather sole and a couple of straps. Obviously I'm missing something.

Anyhow, I got to wondering about it when I was looking at all the bags on eBay. It seems like "status," whatever that is, is perpetually on sale at a discount. Not just for bags, for all sorts of stuff.

I don't see eBay as an equalizer or anything because so many of the great brands end up on sale at 50% off anyway. If you want a bag badly enough, you'll cultivate a relationship with a favorite salesperson, and then they can keep you up on what's available and at what price. eBay just makes it easier to sell a used bag, and some of them certainly do retain their value.

Status? I mostly carry bags I paid less than $50 for so that's not an issue with my purchases.

<< Where I live (Boca Raton) and where I grew up (Los Angeles) status IS the major issue for at least half of luxury bag carriers. Sometimes I love that and other times not! >>

I agree that some cities are more status-obsessed than others, LA probably being the mecca of that, LOL. But I also think it's a bit disingenous for anyone to claim that status plays no part in shelling out the kind of money a high-end bag costs. Maybe I'm wrong.

<< PS I have personally done a study on days that I wear my status bags and days when I carry non-status, to see reactions I get from people in snootier parts of town (correction: my whole town is snooty!! ) Its kinda like that actress who went out around town in a fat suit to gauge responses, compared to her slim self. I was looked at, or shall I say, checked out, in a different manner when had the status bag.... >>

Someone mentioned this on another thread. I never noticed this myself except when in a store where the SAs would naturally notice such things. But most people I come into contact with aren't really cognizant of bags. Maybe it's a Midwest thing. Or maybe I should hang with a better crowd? LOL

Of course. I'm a jewelry and antiques dealer, and EVERYTHING will be on the secondary market at some point whether it's due to someone being tired of the item and wanting the cash, being desperate for cash, being gifted with something they don't care for, an inheritance...etc. Certain things are harder to find (supply vs. demand), and all it takes for a price to skyrocket on eBay is for two or more people with the money to bid.

Anyhow, I got to wondering about it when I was looking at all the bags on eBay. It seems like "status," whatever that is, is perpetually on sale at a discount. Not just for bags, for all sorts of stuff.

I buy the bag not the designer, if you know what I mean. I don't worry too much about what the status is of the bag/designer. If someone can get the same bag I have used at a discount that's fine by me. It doesn't affect the way I feel about the bag. Btw, some high-end bags can actually be more expensive on the secondary market.

ITA. :yes:

Who cares about financial status, anyway? :shrugs: You'd have to be pretty insecure to feel compelled to demonstrate your wealth through a bag, wouldn't you? :blink:

If you buy the designer bag you really love and are not swayed by brands, logos and the fact that the bag is an 'it' bag, you are primarily demonstrating your style, personality and your appreciation of quality; not your financial status. :biggrin:

<< i buy because of the quality, which leads them to be a status. >>

I understand that. I am wondering at what point quality stops and status name starts in determining the price.

It's not just the quality and the name you are paying for.

When you buy a truly beautiful bag, from a top designer, you are also paying for a piece of that designer's imagination and talent, as well. :yes:

When a new designer produces a truly fantastic collection, you have no idea if that will be the first of many, or whether they will never produce anything that amazing again.

That, to me, is the thrill of seeking out the best of the best, in terms of design. :biggrin: