Food Ode to the Ice cream

I love gelato. When I was in Turin, I got violet gelato everyday, but I guess it was a regional specialty cause I've never seen it anywhere else. I think I'd go to Turin just to have it again...YUM!

There's a really good place in Vancouver called Marble Slab (maybe the Canadian equiv of Coldstone?) - they make fresh ice cream and you can pick a topping to mix in, so they are like handmade blizzards but better! We also have lots of good gelato places and local dairies that make fresh ice cream. I like this company called Udder Guys - funny name, but yummy ice cream!

^ I've been to a Marble Slab before, they are a lot less popular than Coldstone, at least in my area.

I had some really good ice cream yesterday that I bought from the store- it was by Kemp's/Pillsbury and was called "Cake and Ice Cream" and was a frosting flavored ice cream- like the whipped kind, not heavy frosting taste- w/ pieces of yellow cake and sprinkles. Not overly sweet at all and really creamy and good! I think I may have a new fave for store ice creams!

I love gelato too. When I lived in Austin, TX there was an Italian restaurant opened in my building, they've made Coconut gelato I will never forget:girlsigh:They also made Mango gelato, which was the second best for me.

I'm going to Italy this summer, for a month. So...:jrs:getting ready to eat lots of gelato.

I loooove ice cream too :love: even plain old vanilla makes me happy. My fave commercial ice cream is ben and jerrys. Strawberry cheesecake is heavenly!!! That's really my all time favorite. I also like the cinnamon buns flavor. I tried it on a whim and it's sooo yummy! Haagen dazs has a sticky toffee pudding variety that was so delicious I finished the entire pint by myself..in a single day! :roflmfao: but I haven't found it again!

Here in San diego there's a mom and pop ice cream place selling homemade ice cream. Theirs has a third of the sugar and half the air of regular ice cream. It's probably the creamiest, most satisfying ice cream I've had. Really really good! I've read kristen bell is a customer of theirs too, when she used to do the veronica mars series. :tup: