Ode to the bolide

I was afraid to say anything 'negative' but I also don't like the 1923. Not because of any similarities but because the proportions aren't nice. This is also the reason I'm not a big fan of the 27. 31 and 35 are perfctly proportioned imo :heart:

Of course, I reserve the right to change my mind :biggrin:

It's good to have everyone's opinions

I love my 'normal' Bolides too much and I like the oval patches. I like the Web 1923 too with its outside pocket, no problem it hasn't have a strap in that size, I almost bought one in the travel size years ago. Now they don't have leather lining anymore so boo hiss to that.

The 'new' 1923 is fine but I'd rather actually have one from the 1920/'30s.

Reactions: Chagall
Confessions of a pack rat:

Here is my Bolide 31 Rouge H Epsom and a quick W-I-M-B for those wondering. This is my first time taking my Bolide on a plane for travel which makes a huge difference in how it’s packed.

Samorga organizer—I think I ordered what would fit for a Kelly 28...still kind of big but it worked.
iPad mini
Chanel mini o-case
Calvi
iPhone 7+
Purse straps
Eyeglasses no case
Longchamp case
Pochette Kirigami—Medium
Fuji x100F Camera
LV Scarf
EDIT: After I took the photos, I remembered my over the ear headphones (cans) and Maui Jim sunglasses which pretty much rendered the Bolide a “tote”. But that’s okay! I had a Longchamp folded up in my carry-on. What can I say? I need stuff! I will probably try to find a smaller case to replace the Longchamp...perhaps the mini Pochette. Undecided.

Fully packed

IMG_1510312370.165390.jpg

Scarf out and a quick look

IMG_1510312397.084241.jpg

Closer look

IMG_1510312428.187152.jpg

Closed with everything in the photo. Notice the squiggly zipper.

IMG_1510312448.106656.jpg

Scarf out. Less squiggly.

IMG_1510312492.460708.jpg

It's good to have everyone's opinions

I love my 'normal' Bolides too much and I like the oval patches. I like the Web 1923 too with its outside pocket, no problem it hasn't have a strap in that size, I almost bought one in the travel size years ago. Now they don't have leather lining anymore so boo hiss to that.

The 'new' 1923 is fine but I'd rather actually have one from the 1920/'30s.

Yes, I like the 'normal' Bolide too and I like the oval patch even though I don't 'use' it.
An actual 1923 from the 20'/30's, now that is different. I do still prefer the proportions of the current Bolide.

I did just see the mini 1923 Bolide on the European website and I thought it was quite cute.

Ladies, what do you think about Bolide 31 in Box leather? For daily use will it be too hard to handle? Thank you
I have a vintage 31 (1994) in black box that had great patina when I received it, and it only continues to become more beautiful every year. Much like Barenia, the beauty of box leather is in its constantly-evolving "personalization".
I can understand the fear of making marks on it, but box ages so well that I would urge you to try it.

Hi everyone!

I recently purchased my first bolide and was wondering if they are handmade? I've tried googling it but couldn't come across a definitive answer.

Can anybody please confirm for me as I know y'all are H experts? Thank you so much in advance! [emoji16]

Hi everyone!

I recently purchased my first bolide and was wondering if they are handmade? I've tried googling it but couldn't come across a definitive answer.

Can anybody please confirm for me as I know y'all are H experts? Thank you so much in advance! [emoji16]

Yes, they are “handmade”. They are made the same way (“by hand”) as the Kelly and Birkin, thus the pricetag.

Enjoy your bag! I can’t wait to get one someday, too!

Thank you so much for the response!

I only have one, but already thinking about the next one!

Are the other bags not handmade (the non birkin, Kelly, bolide)?

I know all Hermes used to be handmade, but I can’t say for sure nowadays.
Handmade now means an artisan uses a die cut machine (I think) and cuts the leather for each bag- an automated unmanned machine doesn’t cut the leather. The same artisan uses a leather sewing machine and stitches the bag together, also using hand stitches when needed. Most companies, on their lower end bags, have two or three artisans per bag- one for die cut, one to sew and one for hardware. Sometimes these companies have automated cutting or sewing.
I know with Hermes’ high end bags, if you send it in for repairs, the company tries to reunite the bag with its original artisan (if the person is still there). I don’t know about the fabric bags, Evelynes or GP.
I need to win the lottery! I want a rainbow of Bolides!!!! :loveeyes:

I have a vintage 31 (1994) in black box that had great patina when I received it, and it only continues to become more beautiful every year. Much like Barenia, the beauty of box leather is in its constantly-evolving "personalization".
I can understand the fear of making marks on it, but box ages so well that I would urge you to try it.
Thanks for sharing @clutchbag. the Box is quite new the year is 2016. I love box leather but not a good keeper for such beauty. My constance scrathes just the 1st day I use it haha. And so the water spot issue. Please share your box beauty. Love to see one.