Ode to the Bearn & Dogon wallets

Hello gang! I have a silly question. Saw this beautiful wallet for sale, but then I noticed that it doesn't have the side stitching on one side (under the flap). Is this an older style? Browsed the pages here but couldn't find similar....

Hi. I am far from an expert, but I have an unhealthy obsession with Hermès wallets so I thought I’d throw in my two cents. I have 3 Bearn wallets:
1. Brand new alligator, which is on its way to me at this very moment
2. 2018 Epsom
3. 2004 Box

The two newer wallets, the alligator and the epsom, both have the edge stitching and coincidentally, both of those have the gusseted compartment (the last slip pocket on the side with the card slots). Hermès refers to this gusseted style as the “Bearn Wallet”. On the other hand, my oldest wallet, the box version, doesn’t have the edge stitching and, as a side note, just has the flat slip pocket on the inside (no gusset). Hermès refers to this flat style as the “Bearn Classic Wallet”.

I noticed yours is also the ungusseted Bearn Classic Wallet style, so initially I thought the extra stitching might be related to the gusset, but the Hermès site shows both versions as having the edge stitching. So based on all of that, I am guessing that you are correct - that the unstitched edge is simply an older style (again, mine is from 2004...did you happen to note the date stamp of the wallet you are considering?), but perhaps someone with greater knowledge can offer a more definitive response. Now I am intrigued!

I have attached a couple screenshots from the Hermès site showing the two versions of the Bearn plus photos of mine for reference (note the older box Bearn on the right does not have the stitching, just like the one you are considering).

As an aside, I love the Bearn wallet more than any of my other Hermès wallets. It is such a thin and simple design. I don’t think I helped answer your question much at all (sorry!) but I hope you get it and LOVE it just as much as I do ❤️

0CD608A8-94EB-445F-B73D-51184C6917FE.jpeg03FE0C11-E957-41A4-8459-289A20ED2EC1.jpegA3502F85-5973-41BB-A39D-A0440A7DA061.png5F6287A3-7FB3-49A8-9CB2-93BCD5AD4516.png

Hi. I am far from an expert, but I have an unhealthy obsession with Hermès wallets so I thought I’d throw in my two cents. I have 3 Bearn wallets:
2. 2018 Epsom
3. 2004 Box

The two newer wallets, the alligator and the epsom, both have the edge stitching and coincidentally, both of those have the gusseted compartment (the last slip pocket on the side with the card slots). Hermès refers to this gusseted style as the “Bearn Wallet”. On the other hand, my oldest wallet, the box version, doesn’t have the edge stitching and, as a side note, just has the flat slip pocket on the inside (no gusset). Hermès refers to this flat style as the “Bearn Classic Wallet”.

I noticed yours is also the ungusseted Bearn Classic Wallet style, so initially I thought the extra stitching might be related to the gusset, but the Hermès site shows both versions as having the edge stitching. So based on all of that, I am guessing that you are correct - that the unstitched edge is simply an older style (again, mine is from 2004...did you happen to note the date stamp of the wallet you are considering?), but perhaps someone with greater knowledge can offer a more definitive response. Now I am intrigued!

I have attached a couple screenshots from the Hermès site showing the two versions of the Bearn plus photos of mine for reference (note the older box Bearn on the right does not have the stitching, just like the one you are considering).

As an aside, I love the Bearn wallet more than any of my other Hermès wallets. It is such a thin and simple design. I don’t think I helped answer your question much at all (sorry!) but I hope you get it and LOVE it just as much as I do ❤

View attachment 5083797View attachment 5083798View attachment 5083805View attachment 5083806
I somehow didn't see your reply. Super great thank you! Alas that item sold, but life is long and I'll find one that comes my way! Many thanks for the super helpful reply!

Reactions: hillsidegirl
I’ve finally pulled the trigger on the Mini Bearn! I think I will get a lot of use out of it as I much prefer smaller bags now. Sharing a size comparison with my Chanel flap cardholder in case it’s helpful for anyone.​
Can you fit cards into the compartment with the button closure? Is there another slip pocket behind the button closure. I have the Bearn full size wallet which I love, but I am debating a smaller version for when I am using smaller bags.

2. 2018 Epsom
3. 2004 Box

As an aside, I love the Bearn wallet more than any of my other Hermès wallets. It is such a thin and simple design. I don’t think I helped answer your question much at all (sorry!) but I hope you get it and LOVE it just as much as I do ❤️

View attachment 5083797View attachment 5083798View attachment 5083805View attachment 5083806
Do you mind sharing how much the alligator bearn cost?

Hello, I am interested in buying a Dogon Duo Wallet but I was wondering if it would be possible to use it as a wall on chain (like the one in the attached photo). Have you ever used it in this way? Thank you!!!

View attachment 5659435

I've used mine as a clutch quite a few times on holiday, but I would guess it could be used as a WOC with a fine chain. I'd take heavier things out like coins and extra keys though, and keep it as flat and as evenly weighted as possible, even fine chains may leave marks, and even on Clemence.