Ode to Dior: Deliver Us an Icon...

Roku

Subscriptions Rock
O.G.
Jan 16, 2011
I was writing elsewhere that I love the Dior quality, craftsmanship and overall look and feel so much that I really want it to do well.

I do remember writing here a related thread about icon bags and how important it is for a brand to have one to cultivate that following.

The BV veneta, LV speedy/alma, Gucci bamboo/jackie, Hermes kelly/birkin, Chanel 2.55 flap, Fendi baguette....

Dior, where are you?

While the Lady Dior and Miss Dior bags are certainly timeless classics within the brand, I wouldn't really consider them "icons" just yet.

Dior, we love you... please deliver us an icon we can rally around!!!
- your lost, admiring fans

I would also have to agree that the LD is the house bag. The Miss Dior is nothing close to being iconic. The shape of the bag keeps changing (and for the worst, IMHO). The LD however, has been around for almost 3 decades, with no apparent change. I think the LD has earned its "timeless" title. As a lover and collector of the Diorissimo, I would love for the house to continue to produce these gorgeous bags and have it be a staple in the collection. It is truly a magnificent piece, from craftsmanship to the leather.

Reactions: baghagg
Here are some photos showing Princess Diana with her Lady Dior, along with a story of the bag from http://www.luxos.com/news/fashion/3250-lady-dior-the-legendary-bag

The Story
As with many of the best stories, this one starts with a little anecdote. In September 1995, Bernadette Chirac, France’s First Lady, gave Lady Diana the house of Dior’s latest creation: an elegant black stitched leather bag. The Princess of Wales immediately fell in love with the bag and ordered it in every style. Its association with the most photographed woman in the world immediately cemented its place in fashion history. In November 1995, during her visit to a children’s home in Birmingham, Princess Diana was photographed sporting the bag by the worldwide press, holding a child in her arms. A few weeks later in Argentina, during an official visit, she once again was snapped holding her favourite bag as she stepped off the airplane. A legend was born.

Subsequently renamed the Lady Dior in her honour, the bag became one of the fashion house’s most emblematic pieces, reflecting a number of the Dior house’s codes. The stitched leather and cannage pattern are inspired by the Napoleon III chairs used by Mr Dior in his first ever fashion show in 1947. The letters D.I.O.R on charm pendants will forever be the bag’s signature. Available in versions for day and night, the legendary Lady Dior has seduced some of the most beautiful women in the world. A succession of models and actresses have been the face of the bag, the first of whom was Carla Bruni in 1996, followed by Diane Kruger, Monica Bellucci and today Marion Cotillard, as captured through the lens of Peter Lindbergh, who represents a new chapter in the history of Lady Dior. Modern icons for an iconic bag.

The Savoir-faire
The Lady Dior is undeniably one of the most famous accessories in the world, and not least for its crafting. The item’s true beauty comes from the marriage of beautiful fabrics and innovative creativity, testament to the unique skill of the bag’s designers. This can be attributed to the Florentine artisans who, with unrivalled patience and passion, are responsible for bringing the fantasy of designer John Galliano to life. Each Lady Dior takes no less than eight hours to make and requires the skill of seven craftsmen. Whether in quilted lambskin, crocodile or two-tone python, 130 pieces of leather are needed for its production, and they have to be dyed, sanded down and stitched together by hand. Each piece is cut manually and pieced together around a wooden mould. The bejewelled D.I.O.R letters, available in either silver or gold metal, are galvanised in different baths to give them their shine.

From the overstitched leather handle to the little inside zip pocket, as well as the 43 pieces of metal which make up the delicate feet which protect the bag from the ground, it goes without saying that an enormous amount of thought has been given to every last detail. This expertly created bag, which is so synonymous with French luxury, is available in different styles and colours including black, blue, red and grey. Four colours which have been promoted by the mysterious and glamorous Marion Cotillard, who stars in four films directed by Olivier Dahan, David Lynch, Jonas Akerlund and John Cameron Mitchell.

Attachments

• lady-di-lady-dior5-godustyle.png
    lady-di-lady-dior5-godustyle.png
    692.2 KB · Views: 849
  • download.jpg
    download.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 370
  • lady-dior-025b55d.jpg
    lady-dior-025b55d.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 392
  • lady-diana-i.jpg
    lady-diana-i.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 1,257
Thanks for everyone's thoughts. Maybe it's just me then... I do know it's such a classic but not so much an icon to me... but I do know Dior is getting more and more popular

Thanks for everyone's thoughts. Maybe it's just me then... I do know it's such a classic but not so much an icon to me... but I do know Dior is getting more and more popular

I think it's because the bag hasn't been around nearly as long as say, the 2.55 flap or the Kelly, which have been around since the 50s. But then again, the popularity of Dior just recently took off in comparison to other big fashion houses. With time, I would think that people will come to see the LD as a staple piece just like the way they view the 2.55 flap.

I'm mainly a Chanel bag lover, however I looked at Dior bags a couple of weekends ago. Mainly the LD and Diorissimo. The quality and craftsmanship is amazing! I also believe that Dior bags are becoming more popular as I am seeing them on more celebrities. Also, the fact that Hermes is having a publicity nightmare with their bags smelling like skunk and how they are handling the problem. Also, Chanel's decline in quality for a lot of their bags.

I was writing elsewhere that I love the Dior quality, craftsmanship and overall look and feel so much that I really want it to do well.

I do remember writing here a related thread about icon bags and how important it is for a brand to have one to cultivate that following.

The BV veneta, LV speedy/alma, Gucci bamboo/jackie, Hermes kelly/birkin, Chanel 2.55 flap, Fendi baguette....

Dior, where are you?

While the Lady Dior and Miss Dior bags are certainly timeless classics within the brand, I wouldn't really consider them "icons" just yet.

Dior, we love you... please deliver us an icon we can rally around!!!
- your lost, admiring fans

I think the Lady Dior is definitey an icon. Classy and timeless like Princess Diana😉