Odd smelling bags - please add to this list

Lurvebags

Jul 3, 2014
hi everyone,

I recently bought a brand new Kate Spade bag which had an odd smell to it. I can't put my finger on it, but the closest I can come to describing it is..a chemical/dye smell.

Anyway, I have been researching on the internet about this 'odd' smell and it looks like there are quite a few bags out there that have this smell too.

If you have recently bought a bag with an odd smell to it, can you please post the name of the bag here. Hopefully we can come up with a list of bags to be wary of.

I buy a lot of my bags online so I don't have the option of smelling the bag before I purchase it. I can't exactly ask the seller if the bag smells :smile:

Here's my contribution -

Kate Spade Aubree (colour Ostrich)
Kate Spade Leslie (I've seen this come up again and again in forums)

hi everyone,

I recently bought a brand new Kate Spade bag which had an odd smell to it. I can't put my finger on it, but the closest I can come to describing it is..a chemical/dye smell.

Anyway, I have been researching on the internet about this 'odd' smell and it looks like there are quite a few bags out there that have this smell too.

If you have recently bought a bag with an odd smell to it, can you please post the name of the bag here. Hopefully we can come up with a list of bags to be wary of.

I buy a lot of my bags online so I don't have the option of smelling the bag before I purchase it. I can't exactly ask the seller if the bag smells :smile:

Here's my contribution -

Kate Spade Aubree (colour Ostrich)
Kate Spade Leslie (I've seen this come up again and again in forums)
You looking for Kate Spade only or any brand that people think have an odd smell when it is brand-new?

You should be able to go in and correct your title to be 'odd' instead of 'old'

You looking for Kate Spade only or any brand that people think have an odd smell when it is brand-new?

You should be able to go in and correct your title to be 'odd' instead of 'old'

Any brand really...I'm surprised how many bags arrive brand new with a horrible smell. Even high end brands.

So many complaints on forums.

I had a Guess wallet that smelled like bad fish - my husband even asked me if I had a tuna sandwich in my purse because it smelled so strongly. It was a PVC/leather combination so I'm not sure which material smelled. I also had a Kathy van Zeeland purse that was PVC and smelled very strongly of chemicals. Both items made me feel ill just to smell them and I gave them to charity when I couldn't get rid of the smells by airing them out. I have LV and LAMB PVC bags and they don't have much of an odour, or at least it isn't one that bothers me.

I had a Guess bag from 2011. Bought it off ebay from a registered business seller and she's got tons of brand new signature designer bags -- claiming to be authentic and made in China. Mine was brand new but made with faux leather and had a fabric lining. When I opened the plastic wrapping, OMG, the smell of fish came out just like what tiggycat had experienced with her Guess wallet. I thought the smell would go away quickly after use but no. I got rid of it after I used it on a trip overseas!

I had a Guess bag from 2011. Bought it off ebay from a registered business seller and she's got tons of brand new signature designer bags -- claiming to be authentic and made in China. Mine was brand new but made with faux leather and had a fabric lining. When I opened the plastic wrapping, OMG, the smell of fish came out just like what tiggycat had experienced with her Guess wallet. I thought the smell would go away quickly after use but no. I got rid of it after I used it on a trip overseas!
I've had this situation a number of times. Currently I have a Burberry satchel with two kinds of leather. Something in the treatment of one of the leathers has caused a dye/chemical smell. I put the bag in the sunshine coming in a window somit is a little filtered, and gradually it its losing the smell.

I also have an intense red Coccinelle bag that I bought in Europe and it came with a terrible smell that I didn't notice until I returned home. You can see it on the 'red bag' thread. Over two summers the smell has decreased significantly though it is still there.

I've had this situation a number of times. Currently I have a Burberry satchel with two kinds of leather. Something in the treatment of one of the leathers has caused a dye/chemical smell. I put the bag in the sunshine coming in a window somit is a little filtered, and gradually it its losing the smell.

I also have an intense red Coccinelle bag that I bought in Europe and it came with a terrible smell that I didn't notice until I returned home. You can see it on the 'red bag' thread. Over two summers the smell has decreased significantly though it is still there.

Oh wow even Burberry? I thought only the cheaper contemporary brands have this problem.

My sense of smell is pretty much non existent yet I can still smell this bag of mine and it makes me feel nauseous. So that tells you how bad it is 😔

Thanks everyone for your comments