Odd question from a first time Chanel owner

lsm_906

Aug 5, 2013
I know this is going to sound crazy but here goes! I purchased my first Chanel bag (Jumbo double flap in black caviar/SHW) on our recent trip to London. I love the bag BUT I've really had to downsize the things I usually put in my bag because it just doesn't seem to have much room inside! I changed to a french walled, got a smaller make up bag, and even downsized my key chain! Here's the question. Will this bag "relax" some with use? I'm feeling squished when I use it and I don't like that. I want to use this bag forever! Any tips? Am I nuts?

Jayne1

Working Canvas
O.G.
Aug 2, 2006
Toronto
I know this is going to sound crazy but here goes! I purchased my first Chanel bag (Jumbo double flap in black caviar/SHW) on our recent trip to London. I love the bag BUT I've really had to downsize the things I usually put in my bag because it just doesn't seem to have much room inside! I changed to a french walled, got a smaller make up bag, and even downsized my key chain! Here's the question. Will this bag "relax" some with use? I'm feeling squished when I use it and I don't like that. I want to use this bag forever! Any tips? Am I nuts?
They don't hold much. I can't use my reissue wallet in my flaps, I had to get a really skinny, not so special wallet and I also downsized my makeup bag.

Daosabao

Daydreamer
Oct 23, 2012
Lalaland
You are right they don't hold much. Jumbos look big but the interior does not have much space. I don't think the classic flaps are meant to 'relax'. I have a black lamb jumbo for 3yrs now and she's still maintaining her shape and structure. I've seen some that had lost their shape and they don't look good (probably been crushed/ stuffed with too much stuffs?).

Jenchun21

Aug 19, 2011
I find the jumbo pretty roomy, but I guess it depends on what you're used to and how heavy/light you pack. If you're going from a speedy or a tote to the jumbo, then yes for the size it defintely doesnt hold as much. But like others said, I don't think this bag is meant to "relax." It's a very structured bag, which is part of it's beauty and quality, but some do find it hard to use compared to a tote or something that's more open and roomy.

jo10013

May 28, 2013
New York, NY
I have a Jumbo single flap, it doesn't hold much as well, and still have its structure. When you put too much in the bag, it gets heavy. I just purchased a GST. It's roomy. But the Jumbo is a lot classier. I would say try not to put a lot in it as you don't want to destroy the shape of the bag too.

tutushopper

❤️ Lambskin Lover ❤️
Apr 13, 2012
No, the bag won't really "relax" over time, as it's a structured bag. If it does anything (if you over-stuff it), it will sag or the sides will stick out which isn't a great look. If you are looking for something to hold more, might I suggest a tote bag?

mcb100

O.G.
Jan 8, 2007
Nowhere out of ordinary.
I would suggest, if you can, keeping the jumbo and then getting another bag like a GST as well :smile: I'm the same way. I like to carry everything around with me. I'll likely be saving up for a jumbo next year, but seeing as they don't hold much, I'll still be getting a lot of use out of my LV Neverfull GM tote, and my big Chanel rock & chain bag.

OCMomof3

Feb 26, 2013
Southern CA
Yep. That's why my 227 single flap, though a good-size bag, will likely never be a "daily" bag for me. I adore her, but I am used to larger bags like the LV Artsy and am partial toward that size. I would not want my bag to "relax" as it is meant to be structured and thus wouldn't look too great. I think the poster who recommended the GST (or some other, larger bag) was on the right track. You can always alternate bags. :smile: