Odd policy?

Feb 8, 2007
I have been trying to decide between the Bloomsbury and the de speedy 30. Finally decided on the speedy and went to buy it yesterday. The SA was v frustrated from a family that she had been working with before I went in and it didn't get much better. She took out a de from the drawer and the piping wasn't quite right and I showed it to her and she said that they're all handmade so there are bound to be imperfections. The next one had a 1/2 inch ding in the leather handle and a seam didn't match quite right in another. Finally found one that looked good. I asked what the guarantee policy is and she said that LV doesn't guarantee their bags. I said "HUH?" "How can you not guarantee your bags?" To which she replied "some people abuse their bags and then expect to have them fixed and we can't do that". The manager then amended what the SA said by telling me that there is a one year period where they will fix things if they deem it to be a defect and not from useage.
I love the bag and all, but what's the story with LV and not standing behind their products??

I think you already answered your own question - quote 'To which she replied "some people abuse their bags and then expect to have them fixed and we can't do that".

I have been trying to decide between the Bloomsbury and the de speedy 30. Finally decided on the speedy and went to buy it yesterday. The SA was v frustrated from a family that she had been working with before I went in and it didn't get much better. She took out a de from the drawer and the piping wasn't quite right and I showed it to her and she said that they're all handmade so there are bound to be imperfections. The next one had a 1/2 inch ding in the leather handle and a seam didn't match quite right in another. Finally found one that looked good. I asked what the guarantee policy is and she said that LV doesn't guarantee their bags. I said "HUH?" "How can you not guarantee your bags?" To which she replied "some people abuse their bags and then expect to have them fixed and we can't do that". The manager then amended what the SA said by telling me that there is a one year period where they will fix things if they deem it to be a defect and not from useage.
I love the bag and all, but what's the story with LV and not standing behind their products??

That has always been there policy..

I had issue with the first wallet I had, glazing started to peel after 7 months and they were great, replaced it on spot, I assumed they'd send off for repair instead. I felt they stood behind their product in my case. I think Chanel is also 1 year.

I'm actually still kind of stunned. I think that the FIRST thing an sa should say is that they absolutely stand behind their products. Period. If someone's spilled something all over their bag it's not LVs responsibility to repair it however,i it's kind of a put off to be told "we don't guarantee our products". Most companies have policies in writing. I asked and they had nothing. I love the bag, glad I got it, but will find it hard to go back. I think it would haven easier to swallow the policy if they had been nice about it.

I'm actually still kind of stunned. I think that the FIRST thing an sa should say is that they absolutely stand behind their products. Period. If someone's spilled something all over their bag it's not LVs responsibility to repair it however,i it's kind of a put off to be told "we don't guarantee our products". Most companies have policies in writing. I asked and they had nothing. I love the bag, glad I got it, but will find it hard to go back. I think it would haven easier to swallow the policy if they had been nice about it.

I know what you're saying...sometimes it's simply HOW something is said or explained that doesn't sit right. One would expect (and should expect) superior service from a company like LV and when that doesn't happen it's disappointing. Lately I've found myself purchasing things from their website because I didn't want to deal with yet another one of their rude, unhelpful SAs. Sorry you had a bad experience, I know how frustrating that is! ;)

LV always seems to stand behind their product & they do offer warranty/guarantees on some products, namely watches, sunglasses & pens. But has been said, some people spend 1K on a bag & expect it to be unbreakable - not so.

I know what you're saying...sometimes it's simply HOW something is said or explained that doesn't sit right. One would expect (and should expect) superior service from a company like LV and when that doesn't happen it's disappointing. Lately I've found myself purchasing things from their website because I didn't want to deal with yet another one of their rude, unhelpful SAs. Sorry you had a bad experience, I know how frustrating that is! ;)

Thanks; that's exactly how I felt. It was more the way I felt about how I was treated. I agree that superior service should be given. That's a great idea about purchasing from the website, thanks!!

I've purchased 90% of my new bags online and they've all arrived in brand new condition. I think the experience people look for is over rated. Even though prices may be different than walmart and I agree every where should have excellent service regardless, it's not anything out of this world at LV. And sometimes I prefer not to deal with people or feel pressured.

It's just a protocol, most times they won't really count you on days, there are issues that they repair years after

Well, that was a barefaced lie you were told regarding the bags being handmade, but I suppose that's not what your thread is about.

I've never heard of a SA/manager acknowledging any sort of warranty, though I know it is generally considered by many people here to be a year. LV don't put this in writing anywhere, and to be honest I think it makes sense that they don't offer free repairs to everyone who brings in a product within a year of purchase. As the SA said, people do abuse their items and LV is not indestructible. It's a shame, because people with genuine complaints of defective items already experience problems. I had an issue with a defective wallet once which split open after eight weeks, and initially it was suggested that I may have caused the problem myself. I was never asked to pay for the repair, but even when the same problem reoccurred a few months later I wasn't offered a new wallet. I had to fight for that.

Basically, I don't think there's any such warranty. It all depends on the individual case. If they deem a problem as a manufacturer's defect, they'll repair it for free - this has been the case for some styles which have known defects, and people have been able to receive free repairs or even replacements long after a year from purchase. Similarly, you might experience them trying to fob you off with the old 'wear and tear' response, when really you know that it's not.

Well, that was a barefaced lie you were told regarding the bags being handmade, but I suppose that's not what your thread is about.

I've never heard of a SA/manager acknowledging any sort of warranty, though I know it is generally considered by many people here to be a year. LV don't put this in writing anywhere, and to be honest I think it makes sense that they don't offer free repairs to everyone who brings in a product within a year of purchase. As the SA said, people do abuse their items and LV is not indestructible. It's a shame, because people with genuine complaints of defective items already experience problems. I had an issue with a defective wallet once which split open after eight weeks, and initially it was suggested that I may have caused the problem myself. I was never asked to pay for the repair, but even when the same problem reoccurred a few months later I wasn't offered a new wallet. I had to fight for that.

Basically, I don't think there's any such warranty. It all depends on the individual case. If they deem a problem as a manufacturer's defect, they'll repair it for free - this has been the case for some styles which have known defects, and people have been able to receive free repairs or even replacements long after a year from purchase. Similarly, you might experience them trying to fob you off with the old 'wear and tear' response, when really you know that it's not.

I agree that there are people who are always going to abuse a policy. Certainly piping coming apart, a faulty sewing job, or handles peeling, to me, goes without saying, should be fixed.

I was told by the SA that the bag is hand sewn individually which is why they have "unique differences". Hmmm, interesting that they're not. Wonder why she said it?