Obagi NuDerm System Question

Sassys

Please get some Common Sense
O.G.
May 14, 2006
I recently started breaking out again (had it under control for 5years after accutane), so my doctor put me on Epiduo (to soon to see results) and gave me a perscription for EpiQuin micro (I have used Triluma in the last, but they are not making it right now I was told).

I am trying to get rid of the acne, dark spots and uneven skin tone (melasma), and heard about Obagi system. My question is, do I need the entire system or can I just use the Blender product for my dark spots and melasma. Insurance does not cover EpiQuin and my drugstore wants $130 for it. I have no problem with the price, but don't want to pay it if Epiquin does not work.

I also found a travel size version of Obagi system ($150), but I am just curious to know from you all, if I truly need the entire system.

I've used the Obagi system for about 5 years and love it. I don't use it for acne but rather aging. It's great. I use the whole system, but I will warn you the break in period is brutal. People tell me daily that my skin glows and I'm 52, I was just at a gathering today and a woman told me I should never admit to that!

my derm recommended Obaji - but honestly, it was too many steps. AM this, PM that. it was just too much.

So I ended up using a combination of Retin-A micro and Phyto+ by Skinceuticals only used at night and a sunscreen in the morning

my derm recommended Obaji - but honestly, it was too many steps. AM this, PM that. it was just too much.

So I ended up using a combination of Retin-A micro and Phyto+ by Skinceuticals only used at night and a sunscreen in the morning

After seeing a youtube bad review of Obaji (girl skin looked horrible), I have been using a sample of Phyto+ from Skinceuticals. WOW!!!! After 2 days I noticed a difference in my skin. My skin is soft and the acne is partially gone and the other spots have dried up. AMAZING!!!!

After seeing a youtube bad review of Obaji (girl skin looked horrible), I have been using a sample of Phyto+ from Skinceuticals. WOW!!!! After 2 days I noticed a difference in my skin. My skin is soft and the acne is partially gone and the other spots have dried up. AMAZING!!!!

if it's working, stick with it! My derm was just suggesting various products (she recommended about 5 brands and combinations). She did say that darker skin patients had to be more careful, because of the bleaching it can cause, thus making you look like a damn fool!:lol:

are you using Phyto+ or the Phyto Corrective? The latter helps with inflamation reducing redness and acne, Phyto+ is for hyperpigmentation...

if it's working, stick with it! My derm was just suggesting various products (she recommended about 5 brands and combinations). She did say that darker skin patients had to be more careful, because of the bleaching it can cause, thus making you look like a damn fool!:lol:

are you using Phyto+ or the Phyto Corrective? The latter helps with inflamation reducing redness and acne, Phyto+ is for hyperpigmentation...

Well honestly I don't know. I went to Bliss Soho on Friday and was looking at the line. I asked for a sample and did not realize there were two different ones until I went home and saw them both on line. I put the bottle down and the guy that worked there picked up the bottle to pour me a sample (I don't know which one he picked up lol). DC which do you think is better to buy? I have been breaking out like crazy and the derm put me on epiduo and gave me a prescription for EpiQuin Micro which I have not filled yet. Do you think I can use the Phyto and the epiquin micro? I have dark spots and uneven skin tone. Accutane was amazing but I really don't want to go there again.

The girl on youtube that was using Obagi was dark skin and she looked horrible after 4 weeks. I new right away it was not for me. I have light skin, but her review freaked me out lol

Going back to derm on June 3rd

Well honestly I don't know. I went to Bliss Soho on Friday and was looking at the line. I asked for a sample and did not realize there were two different ones until I went home and saw them both on line. I put the bottle down and the guy that worked there picked up the bottle to pour me a sample (I don't know which one he picked up lol). DC which do you think is better to buy? I have been breaking out like crazy and the derm put me on epiduo and gave me a prescription for EpiQuin Micro which I have not filled yet. Do you think I can use the Phyto and the epiquin micro? I have dark spots and uneven skin tone. Accutane was amazing but I really don't want to go there again.

The girl on youtube that was using Obagi was dark skin and she looked horrible after 4 weeks. I new right away it was not for me. I have light skin, but her review freaked me out lol

Going back to derm on June 3rd

EpiQuin is a retinoid, that combined with the Phyto+ will probably worked fine. I used Retin-A and Phyto+. My derm said, basically the retin-a does the hard work - the skin cell turnover and the phyto+ is the icing on the cake - getting rid of the dark spots and uneven skintone.

When I used it consistently my skin was blemish free. But as I've gotten lazy, some acne has popped up along with the hyperpigmentation. I've been using the combination (actually I've switched to Tazorac because it was free with my insurance) faithfully for the last 2 months and see a difference already.

Just be consistent in your use and you'll see results.

EpiQuin is a retinoid, that combined with the Phyto+ will probably worked fine. I used Retin-A and Phyto+. My derm said, basically the retin-a does the hard work - the skin cell turnover and the phyto+ is the icing on the cake - getting rid of the dark spots and uneven skintone.

When I used it consistently my skin was blemish free. But as I've gotten lazy, some acne has popped up along with the hyperpigmentation. I've been using the combination (actually I've switched to Tazorac because it was free with my insurance) faithfully for the last 2 months and see a difference already.

Just be consistent in your use and you'll see results.

Okay. I will buy the Phyto+ tomorrow and wait on using the EpiQuin micro.

I have been putting the Phyto on first then the epiduo. Is that the correct order (serum before cream)? Guy at Bliss also told me to use Pholoretin CF, but I did not understand what was the difference from CE Ferulic.

I did some researgh and it seems CE is for oily skin and CF is for acne and dry skin. Am I right?

I took my son to the dermatologist about 3 weeks ago. He has been struggling with acne for about 2 years and we have tried a few other dermatologists and many products. I felt at this time his face looked the worse ever.

The ner determologist was under the impression less is more. He wanted my son to try a vitamin that showed great results with acne-30-50%. He has been taking it twice a day. I went online and discussed it with a doctor friend of mine who has never heard of this vitamin for acne and she was quite impressed telling me the ingriedents were things that would help your body with acne. I will have to post later on the name of the vitamin.
He also was put on a day cream and night cream. He could use the mild cleanser and moisturizer that all the dermatologists seem to recommend from the drugstore. The only additional thing he said was to use a sulphur mask 2-3 times a week. I bought him one by Dr. Thomas Roth from Sephora or Beauty.com. I see great improvement in his face in just 3 weeks. I am very impressed. We go back to the dermatologist in 1 1/2 weeks. The doctor said his face would probably get worse before he got better which was true. I am just so happy for my son because he is not one to complain but I know this has bothered him so much. I will post back later on all the products he is using.
It is very frustrating trying to find things that work. We have tried so many different things in the past. Just on a side note my daughter is allergic to sulfur/sulfate drugs so if she has a breakout she can't use anything with sulfur in it. It will make things worse. Sometime you can be allergic to a ingriedent in a product and you don't know and your skin will react.

Okay. I will buy the Phyto+ tomorrow and wait on using the EpiQuin micro.

I have been putting the Phyto on first then the epiduo. Is that the correct order (serum before cream)? Guy at Bliss also told me to use Pholoretin CF, but I did not understand what was the difference from CE Ferulic.

I did some researgh and it seems CE is for oily skin and CF is for acne and dry skin. Am I right?

I've only ever used CE and I applied it before anything else. Serums first.

The Obagi seems like a lot of steps, but it's really not. I def don't think it's for dark skin people(or people with a lot of freckles)and I would have to question any dr that would prescribe it to one. It is a product that you should only use with a dr's guidance. I liken it to a chemical peel, except instead of having to stay home for 5 days you look like crap for 12 weeks. It was def very hard to do but completely worth it. My skin glows.

^^i use the CE too. On Obagi maintanace you use Obagi every other day and what ever you want on the other days. This really takes care of any dryness or other issues caused by the Obagi. Sorry it changed my life so I'm a huge fan.

Obagi changed my life... my skin was absolutely horrible. I've been using it for 1.5 years or so now, and I can go out without makeup for the first time ever.

Yes, there are a lot of steps and the product is no joke - you will look like an Oompa Loompa without makeup. Your skin will also feel like its burnt. After a few months, you can slow it down by only using the Blender + Retin A, which is what I now use a few nights a week.

It's not for everyone. I wouldn't recommend that anyone uses it unless their skin was super discolored and full of acne scars, because the side effects were quite awful. I stuck it out, though, and I have great skin now (finally! After more than a decade of suffering)

I get my Obagi stuff from a local asian market. It's about 100 dollars for the entire system.