Now torn between classic flap and reissue for 1st Chanel

May 17, 2006
I'm hoping I can get some input here...

I had previously posted about purchase my HG bag (black, vintage jumbo flap), and then the order being cancelled. I was so upset because I had SO wanted this bag and was so lucky to find one below my budget. However, since getting that news a few days ago, I've been really thinking about my options.

I've always wanted a black jumbo w/24k hardware because to me it is just SUCH a classic. However, when I was told my order was cancelled, I started questioning whether I really and truly love and want the bag or if it's something I've just built up in my head. If I'm being 100% honest with myself, vintage jumbos are slightly boxier than I usually prefer, and I already have quite a few black bags. Yet, it's still a bag I have always always wanted - it's just quintessential Chanel to me.

The reissue honestly never really captivated me, but I stumbled upon a blue metallic one, and I kind of love it. I'm strongly considering going for it, but I'm hesitating because I'm not quite sure if I really love it or if I'm telling myself I do because the original I wanted was cancelled. Also, while I know the reissue is technically the original Chanel flap, the reissue doesn't feel quite as classic to me. I also worry about the metallic blue - this one seems to be in good condition, but I know metallics can show a lot of wear and tear. Will the bag hold up in the long run? (I'm not quite so captivated in reissues in other colors, so getting it in another color is not something I'm considering.)

On one hand, the classic flap has always been my HG. The bag I've wanted for ages. On the other, I'm really loving the metallic blue on the reissue and how it's just a bit different from black. And yes, the reissue is more understated - which is both a plus and a negative for me. If I'm being honest, I do like the CC clasp on the classic flap. I kind of do want people to know I'm wearing a Chanel (even though I know it's horribly uncool and not classy to admit that). On the other hand, I kind of have a love-hate with logos and have felt like I should have gone with something not so obvious when carrying something like LV mono bags. I feel like, if I am being honest with myself, if I were to give the bags personalities, the classic flap is the bag I want to be (classy, elegant, sophisticated, timeless) but the reissue is the bag that I am (more casual, slightly different).

So, now I'm left wonder if I still seek out a vintage classic flap or go for a metallic blue reissue. Mostly, I'm worried that if I go for this metallic blue reissue, I'll STILL want a vintage classic flap. And while, yes, I could theoretically always get both, I don't actually want to. I'm really trying to curate, not grow, my bag collection, and I can't justify two additional flap-style bags in my collection (nor do I really want to sell the bags I already have).

I feel like I'm on a time crunch because the reissue could sell at any point. Any thoughts on what I should do?

Reactions: wisconsin
I think you should go with the vintage classic flap. It’s your HG, and from the sounds of it you’re trying to talk yourself into the Reissue as it’s available now. I’d go with your first instinct and wait for another vintage CF :smile:

Reactions: mellecyn
I can’t tell you which to buy, but the Reissue was the original Chanel bag. I own a blue metallic one and it has worn well since I’ve had it. The previous owner had gotten a couple scratches in the back, but I honestly can’t figure out how, because I’ve had it for years with no further wear, and I love it. I love it so much I also got it in metallic silver, and it has no wear.

tear. Will the bag hold up in the long run? (I'm not quite so captivated in reissues in other colors, so getting it in another color is not something I'm considering.)

On one hand, the classic flap has always been my HG. The bag I've wanted for ages. On the other, I'm really loving the metallic blue on the reissue and how it's just a bit different from black. And yes, the reissue is more understated - which is both a plus and a negative for me. If I'm being honest, I do like the CC clasp on the classic flap. I kind of do want people to know I'm wearing a Chanel (even though I know it's horribly uncool and not classy to admit that). On the other hand, I kind of have a love-hate with logos and have felt like I should have gone with something not so obvious when carrying something like LV mono bags. I feel like, if I am being honest with myself, if I were to give the bags personalities, the classic flap is the bag I want to be (classy, elegant, sophisticated, timeless) but the reissue is the bag that I am (more casual, slightly different)
Only you can reconcile these two issues. I have the blue metallic stripe in rhe chocolate bar shape. It’s sturdy (my experience is definitely not the same as many others here) and I love it. But I’m a reissue person and sent my logo Chanel classics and seasonal bags to consign a long time ago. Although the reissue is more dscreet than rhe classic, for those who know, it’s quintessentially Chanel. The reissue just suits my srule (casual and a bit edgy, with a preference for so black hardware, rhw or phw over ghw). have fun deciding! My current favorite Chanel is so black reissue chevron mini.

edit: it occurred to me that my grail H bag was a BBK28, ghw, bc I thought it was the iconic H and the only one I would ever have. it turned out, that for many years afterwards, I wasn’t a kelly person, and definitely not a ghw person, so after spendiing a lot to replace handles etc at Hermes,m I consigned at a loss. for me, some dreams were not meant to be realized. But I would not have known all that without first buying the iconic grail bag that wasnt. . .

Last edited:
Personally, I would buy the bag that you think you would use more often. I chose the reissue over the classic flap for this reason and have no regrets. I do have some bags with the ccs but not the medium classic flap that most people consider to be the quintessential Chanel bag. I admire the medium classic flap along with other bags that don’t suit my lifestyle or style from afar. Maybe take a look at your current collection and your wardrobe to see what gaps you might have and which bag would better fill that gap. I do this whenever I’m considering a new bag and it’s saved me thousands of dollars...I usually realize that I already have a few bag choices for any outfit I can put together.

Sometimes we get caught up in wanting to buy the bag because it’s classic and beautiful without giving much thought to how it would be utilized which is fine if you’re a collector...but I like to use all of my luxury items. Good luck to you!

Thanks all! I suspect everyone who said that I should go for the one I originally wanted - the classic flap - are right. On the other hand, I actually think the reissue would be used more than the classic flap. In any case, the reissue was on Fashionphile, and since they allow returns, I went ahead and ordered it. I fully suspect I'll return it while holding out for my longtime HG, but I've never actually held or seen either bag in-person so I thought I'd order at least the reissue and see how I feel when it gets here.

if I were to give the bags personalities, the classic flap is the bag I want to be (classy, elegant, sophisticated, timeless) but the reissue is the bag that I am (more casual, slightly different).

I love what you said here.

Do you have a boutique you can visit? Try them on! I recently tried on a jumbo CF and was surprised at how much of a bag it was. It was just too much for me. Know what I mean?

That said, I am considering a reissue 227. It is more my style. The 227 might also be huge (they don't have one at the boutique for me to try), but it's got a smaller profile, the prices are better than the 225/226, and I personally prefer not to wear the CC lock. I have one CC lock, and I feel like that's enough for me.

(She says now, but we all know that could change).