Not What Buyer Expected?

vasiliki

Dec 1, 2006
So I sold a bag on ebay which was up as a listing for 5 days. I put up a couple of pics, described the bag accurately (a pre-loved, used handbag), and offered to answer any questions/provide more pics. The bag sold and the buyer just received the bag and told me that it "wasn't what she expected". That it was more used than she thought it would be. Now she wants a refund, even though i didnt offer the option of refund with the listing. im conflicted as to how to proceed with this.......any suggestions? Thanx in advance!!!

Hi sorry it happened to you. The amount of use a bag shows is a grey area as it is hard to represent. If you provided pictures then she should have checked and asked. She may be suffering from buyers remorse. You could offer a small refund but I dont think a refund is in order unless you truly think you misrepresented.

yeah ive been going over the description a bunch of times and i definetly did not misrepresent. it says in there that its in great used condition, as it was, with no major scuffs, scratches, smells , etc (which there wasnt) the bag is suede, so it looks used (but not badly used) because of the material. im not sure if a cleaning could help something like that. i really dont feel like i should have to offer a return......ive never run into a situation like this and i always sell my used bags.

Did you state in your auction that you would not accept returns or offer refunds?

Did she specify exactly what she felt was wrong with the bag? Also curious about the price point, was it a high price bag?

I would tend to agree with the pp that it's probably a case of buyers remorse.

if she claim w paypal, go ahead and escalate the claim further. as long as it is what you show in pictures, then you are fine. ASSUMPTION is her fault, not yours

i HATE HATE HATE these people. as soon as i get rid of my junk to save for the trip, im DONE

if she claim w paypal, go ahead and escalate the claim further. as long as it is what you show in pictures, then you are fine. ASSUMPTION is her fault, not yours

i HATE HATE HATE these people. as soon as i get rid of my junk to save for the trip, im DONE

yeah, what bothered me the most was the way she said it wasnt what she "expected". and thats what makes me really not wanna do the return.....i just sent an email using some of the suggestions I have received basically saying that i didnt misrepresent the handbag since i did describe it as both "preloved" and "used" and offered to answer any questions regarding the bag.

{{{{{hugs}}}}}Don't take it laying down. Fight it!! If they want a brand new anything, they should buy from a store or only buy BN items!!! It seems to always be something. Good luck and fight the good fight!

I sold a Dooney bag that I myself had bought from ebay--it was slightly used when I bought it, and I may have carried it three times. So I stated all that in my listing; took pictures from all angles; and I said it was "gently used but tons of life left in it". It sold for maybe a 5th of retail price. My buyer emailed me saying she liked the bag and was happy.

Then, she leaves feedback that the bag was "not as mint as implied". Never once did I say the word "mint"! I was so mad; it was positive feedback, but still made me sound like a liar. I think you just can't please people these days.

From the stories I have heard, Paypal do not usually side with buyers on the used side of things. Its either new or used. I dont think you can claim saying it was too used. If you can fight this, you have a good chance of winning IMO

thans everyone for all the great advice!!!! so yeah, i emailed the buyer yesterday basically telling her that i wouldnt give her a refund, that it was a used bag as described, yadayada....and so i got another email from her today saying that "If you will not accept the return than you leave me with no choice that to dispute this with Paypal and if need be, American
Express." shortly thereafter i got an email from paypal. so i made it into a dispute.

her list of problems with the bag is ridiculous. seriously, the bag is a suede bag which i used for about 6 months religiously. it def looks used and u can totally see that in the pics i provided. and she was trying to tell me that she thought it was professionally cleaned, which made me laugh since i would never imagine doing that (im way too cheap). i dont know where she came up with that one.

but yeah, i hate this, ive never had any problems before and this one sucks.

People are getting used to threatening these chargebacks, how annoting. I dont hink she will succeed. Please let us know what happens and save all the emails for paypal, esp the one where she says she may chargebcak to her Amex...