Not Sure About The Price of Wallets

G.Allyn

O.G.
Dec 12, 2013
Hello!

Sending my best to everyone this weekend. I did my clear out, getting rid of big handbags that take up a good deal of space and purchasing small leather items.

Out went four large bags and a wallet and replaced with three 8"-10" crossbody bags and two wallets. It has been forever since I made a wallet purchase. I sold one NWT because it was a duplicate color and kept my current red Alto and the two Alto wallets that have not been used and sitting in their boxes.

I checked my old receipts and the three Alto wallets (checkbook clutches 8" size?) were $295.00 and I paid $147.50 around 2014.

Do the wallets still come in gift boxes? Also, I wonder if I should have waited for a better sale. I haven't had any luck the few times I looked at "wallet wednesday" sales. I had trouble finding the style, size, color and leather I was after and made an impulse purchase this morning.

I hope the quality is alright because the original price was only $168.00 and my one Alto that was $295.00 needs repaired in two places. Does D&B still do repairs? I wonder if the shipping cost is worth it or if I should take a chance with a local repair. The zipper pull tore (I kept the leather) and the leather pulled from the stitch line by the ID window. Both things seem pretty minor.

I ended up getting the ostrich continental clutch in burgundy and the lizard embossed large zip around in grey. The sale price is $76.44 each. I'm not sure if they go on sale for a better price. Additionally, since my more expensive Alto wallet didn't exactly hold up, I wonder if the cheaper wallets will fall apart. The wallet is my first item to ever have issues and I am careful with my D&B (except for the Chelsea tote I dumped 16 ounces of water in the bottom by mistake).

Can anyone with wallet experience provide feedback? Thanks!

Hello!

Sending my best to everyone this weekend. I did my clear out, getting rid of big handbags that take up a good deal of space and purchasing small leather items.

Out went four large bags and a wallet and replaced with three 8"-10" crossbody bags and two wallets. It has been forever since I made a wallet purchase. I sold one NWT because it was a duplicate color and kept my current red Alto and the two Alto wallets that have not been used and sitting in their boxes.

I checked my old receipts and the three Alto wallets (checkbook clutches 8" size?) were $295.00 and I paid $147.50 around 2014.

Do the wallets still come in gift boxes? Also, I wonder if I should have waited for a better sale. I haven't had any luck the few times I looked at "wallet wednesday" sales. I had trouble finding the style, size, color and leather I was after and made an impulse purchase this morning.

I hope the quality is alright because the original price was only $168.00 and my one Alto that was $295.00 needs repaired in two places. Does D&B still do repairs? I wonder if the shipping cost is worth it or if I should take a chance with a local repair. The zipper pull tore (I kept the leather) and the leather pulled from the stitch line by the ID window. Both things seem pretty minor.

I ended up getting the ostrich continental clutch in burgundy and the lizard embossed large zip around in grey. The sale price is $76.44 each. I'm not sure if they go on sale for a better price. Additionally, since my more expensive Alto wallet didn't exactly hold up, I wonder if the cheaper wallets will fall apart. The wallet is my first item to ever have issues and I am careful with my D&B (except for the Chelsea tote I dumped 16 ounces of water in the bottom by mistake).

Can anyone with wallet experience provide feedback? Thanks!
My experience with D&B wallets has been good. I have mainly pebbled leather
or Florentine. A few of the Concord smooth leather items also. BUT....
I rotate my wallets every 2 months, so they really don't get a lot of wear and tear.

In general, with wallets, a lot depends upon how they are used..... how often you
put things in and out and zip and unzip them. How stuffed they are
will also stress them. Of course, there are always 'lemons'.... if you are unlucky and
get one of these.

I look for wallets with the most leather on the inside and outside...
the ones that are fabric inside probably won't hold up as well. Also, wallets
where the leather is drum dyed (like pebbled leather, Florentine leather, and Alto
leather will hold up better. And mid to darker colors also seem to do better.

Hope your new wallets are winners. I don't have experience with Dooney repair....
but I would check the price locally before sending it in to Dooney. It's so much easier
to just get it done if you can find a quality repair locally. And if you send it in to Dooney,
there is no guarantee they will fix it... they could say they can't and just return it to you.

I rotate my wallets every 2 months, so they really don't get a lot of wear and tear.

In general, with wallets, a lot depends upon how they are used..... how often you
will also stress them. Of course, there are always 'lemons'.... if you are unlucky and
get one of these.

where the leather is drum dyed (like pebbled leather, Florentine leather, and Alto

Hope your new wallets are winners. I don't have experience with Dooney repair....
but I would check the price locally before sending it in to Dooney. It's so much easier
to just get it done if you can find a quality repair locally. And if you send it in to Dooney,
there is no guarantee they will fix it... they could say they can't and just return it to you.
Good advice about having the wallet repaired locally since D&B may return the item and not complete the repair.

I hope the quality is acceptable. My wallets get pretty light use but I do not care for interior fabric. Up until the two I ordered, I went with all leather for the interior and exterior. I tried the cheaper wallets because the Alto I liked was $375.00 with -30% and color choices were limited. I remember the old days when you could get a bag for that price.

Thanks for your input. By the way, my Alto in Fir arrived and the color is pretty. I appreciated your information on the color since it is new to me.

Good advice about having the wallet repaired locally since D&B may return the item and not complete the repair.

I hope the quality is acceptable. My wallets get pretty light use but I do not care for interior fabric. Up until the two I ordered, I went with all leather for the interior and exterior. I tried the cheaper wallets because the Alto I liked was $375.00 with -30% and color choices were limited. I remember the old days when you could get a bag for that price.

Thanks for your input. By the way, my Alto in Fir arrived and the color is pretty. I appreciated your information on the color since it is new to me.
Enjoy your 'fir' Alto. It's a beautiful and very wearable color.

get one of these.

I rarely cancel orders or make returns, but I promised myself I would buy less and only keep purchases I loved. Also, I am avoiding final sale items.

Anyway, your feedback reminded me I prefer all leather interior/exterior wallets. I looked at my order and decided there was too much interior fabric and requested cancelation of my order. My Alto (Alma) was returned yesterday. It went on sale for about $30.00 less and it looks like D&B does not do price adjustments. I think I will hold out for the Alto Marla to go on sale and order in the burgundy and fir. My three wallets are Alto collection and I want to stay with that style.

I hope the Summer Sale is a good one and the Autumn collection comes out with some good styles and colors. A bag in an unexpected color would still be in my comfort area, as long as it is florentine or alto in a great, but a practical style.

If the Alma goes on sale under $400.00 in the next few months, I might make another reorder purchase. I think my total was $444. I wish D&B would do price adjustments when your delivery was made a few days ago.

I rarely cancel orders or make returns, but I promised myself I would buy less and only keep purchases I loved. Also, I am avoiding final sale items.

Anyway, your feedback reminded me I prefer all leather interior/exterior wallets. I looked at my order and decided there was too much interior fabric and requested cancelation of my order. My Alto (Alma) was returned yesterday. It went on sale for about $30.00 less and it looks like D&B does not do price adjustments. I think I will hold out for the Alto Marla to go on sale and order in the burgundy and fir. My three wallets are Alto collection and I want to stay with that style.

I hope the Summer Sale is a good one and the Autumn collection comes out with some good styles and colors. A bag in an unexpected color would still be in my comfort area, as long as it is florentine or alto in a great, but a practical style.

If the Alma goes on sale under $400.00 in the next few months, I might make another reorder purchase. I think my total was $444. I wish D&B would do price adjustments when your delivery was made a few days ago.
I hope you find some great sales.... just keep checking the web sites (Dooney,
I Love Dooney, and the Ebay store of I Love Dooney). Some times it's a question
of being lucky and knowing what is a good price when you happen to see it.

It's a shame that Dooney won't do a price adjustent. I know that ILD won't. It's just
poor customer service on their part.

Enjoy your 'fir' Alto. It's a beautiful and very wearable color.
Hello,
I need to post 5 replies before I have posting privledges and you seem to know a lot about these bags...
does anyone know of a paint like Angelus Leather Paint (but not this brand because they don't have the color I need) that would match this strap? One D&B repair site said to use Meltonian shoe cream #6 light brown but I wanted to really cover the leather because it has green paint on it.

IMG-3900.jpeg

The only wallet I have by them is the florentine large wallet in the color bubble gum (i think thats what the color is called) (i purchased it off TU). I love it! However, it's very hard to get my cards out LOL. Also, I am currently pricing their wallets on ILD ebay, and I'm very confused on their sizes. The small zip looks like it holds more stuff, while the medium & large zip look exactly the same and they don't look to hold much. I could see the difference in their sizes on the outside, and the medium looks bigger than the large.

Can someone clarify these wallets for me?

I don't have all the sizes, but in my experience, you have to look at ALL the dimensions
in order to understand the size differences. Sometimes a larger wallet has a wider
base. It can hold more, but it also may be thicker/bulkier.

Also look at the capacity.
A larger wallet may not have more card slots, but they may be a little longer.
And if you carry alot of bills, or coins, they will fit more easily in a larger wallet.

Card slots may be tight at first in any wallet/cc case, but they generally do relax over time.
with use.

As someone mentioned in a different thread, you can use a credit card case
as a wallet. It just depends upon how much paper money you carry and how much
change you carry, and if you use your wallet to store receipts.
If you don't mind folding a few bills and don't carry much change,
then credit card cases can be a good option.
But if you like your bills flat or carry a bunch of bills
(even if they are only $1's), then a wallet with a full bill compartment
often works better.
I look for a full bill compartment in my wallets.
I want my paper money to be flat (and in order)!
Old habits die hard.

I just watched a video from a woman that reviewed a ton of wallets. This Greta wallet caught my eye, because she described it as an accordion, and there's more compartments when you unzip theScreenshot 2023-09-26 at 2.24.13 PM.png middle.

Reactions: Lilybarb
Wow. I've never that interior before.
Yeah, so I got the small ivy florentine zip wallet a few weeks ago - during that great sale. Anywho, inside of mine is red canvas material. I was a bit irked, because that’s gonna be very hard to clean.

Señor Dooney if you’re lurking, please include descriptions of the interior of your wallets.

Reactions: Lilybarb