Not-so-enthusiastic Coach sighting in the wild

Yesterday I was at Starbucks waiting for my coffee when I noticed that the woman standing next to me was carrying a black Lindsey! Eeeee! Being a Lindsey and Sophia lover, I quickly (but quietly) said, "I love your Lindsey!".

She glanced down at the bag and said, "oh....uh huh." Hmmm. So much for first impressions.

I tried again, "I just love the Lindsey, but truth be told, I was sad to see the large Sophia pulled off the market....it's still probably my favorite bag. Are you familiar with the Sophia too?" I asked her. " Oh yeah." she said.

Conversation is really flourishing at this time. I can just tell we're gonna be BFFs. One last try...." I just got a new Lindsey in the Aegean.....it is really beautiful and I'm so happy with it!". "Uh huh."

Ok.........time to give up. Maybe she was just having a bad day or something.....ya never know. At any rate, it's interesting, I've met people with foaches who were more enthusiastic about bag chat. Living in kind of a rural area as I do, I've never seen anyone with a Lindsey and only one Sophia.....ever. Here is my possibly first ever kindred sister in person and she turns out to be Debbie Downer. Well never mind her.......I've always got you guys :biggrin:

Boy, do I feel a kindred spirit to you! I grew up with a Mom who could talk to anyone, anytime. I got that trait from her and I talk to strangers All the Time. I never hesitate to compliment someone on a handbag, nail polish, haircut, etc. I think your comment to the woman in line shows you have a good personality. I agree she does not have to go on a vacation with you, but I think she was a big drip. A compliment from a stranger always makes my day. You never know when an unsolicited and sincere compliment given to a stranger could really make their day. Keep up the good work. :cool:

I don't engage people in conversation about bags because I know they will look at me like I'm crazy. I highly doubt the average woman knows much about the purse they are carrying. Even the Coach SAs don't know anything. I once walked into the outlet with a crimson patent msb and several SAs said they just sold out of them but they still had the matching wallets left. This happened a few months ago and they were referring to PLUM madison bags. Even after I told them the wallet didn't match they didn't believe me. People just don't take notice like we do. Every once in a while someone will compliment one of my bags and it totally makes my day! But then if I try to talk more about bags, they get this look on their face like they just want me to shut up. :lol:

But when you do get a kindred soul it is so much fun! Today I realized a coworker has a python Madison Maggie - I am still learning - and we gabbed about it in the elevator and about Michael Kors bags and shopping. Fun!

I like seeing real and beautiful bags out there!

I do that too!!! LOL! I saw an absolutely HENIOUS foach at the grocery store last week, and it was so awful...it offended me...and I would not shut up about it...lol.

That's how I am. I get so offended and go on and on and on about it. We went to breakfast the other morning at this cute little cafe with my parents and grandparents. The entire time I kept pointing out every Coach I saw a woman walk in with. My husband was getting BEYOND annoyed with me, I wouldn't shut up...LOL.

That's how I am. I get so offended and go on and on and on about it. We went to breakfast the other morning at this cute little cafe with my parents and grandparents. The entire time I kept pointing out every Coach I saw a woman walk in with. My husband was getting BEYOND annoyed with me, I wouldn't shut up...LOL.

My DH is really into Auto Parts and Star Trek. I want to die a slow painful death when he talks about these things. I am really into Bags and Shoes. He would like to cut out my tongue when I chatter on and on about these things.

We have an agreement. I can say a sentence or two about Coach if I need to. And he can talk about Auto Parts for a second when he feels the urge. But we don't get to blabber incessantly until the other screams in frustration.

LuvsElvis said:
I have been in Coach at Macys and the SA is busy. I will walk around and look and then answer other customers questions! LOL The Other customer will look at me strange and then ask if I work there. I tell them "No, I am a Coach fanatic!"

Lynne :biggrin:

I've had customers ask me questions and opinions in the Coach store. I guess I make my obsession fairly obvious when I'm in there. Lol.

My DH is really into Auto Parts and Star Trek. I want to die a slow painful death when he talks about these things. I am really into Bags and Shoes. He would like to cut out my tongue when I chatter on and on about these things.

We have an agreement. I can say a sentence or two about Coach if I need to. And he can talk about Auto Parts for a second when he feels the urge. But we don't get to blabber incessantly until the other screams in frustration.

My husband is really into comic books, and when he starts to blather on about some something about that I just "change the dialog" by taking my top off. That shuts him up in a hurry. Unfortunately, that only works when we're at home.

As for the OP... I kinda feel the other lady's pain. Not all of us are comfortable with talking extemporaneously to strangers when we don't have a minute to prepare ourselves. When I'm not at work and paid to talk to strangers (I'm a reference librarian), and someone starts talking to me, my throat just closes up. No matter how I would wish it otherwise, I really struggle in these situations. So, maybe she's not a "drip" so much as she is shy. Or maybe just having a bad day.

I've had customers ask me questions and opinions in the Coach store. I guess I make my obsession fairly obvious when I'm in there. Lol.
LOL, same thing happens to me. This SA fell all over me after this gal left because I had listed so many reasons why the bag was fabulous, she bought it. I was not trying to sell, I just truly loved the bag. Maybe they need to have a newbie Coach night where they get all of us seasoned lovers there and then we can sell without even trying by just chatting our love of the brand. Are you listening, COACH?

LOL, same thing happens to me. This SA fell all over me after this gal left because I had listed so many reasons why the bag was fabulous, she bought it. I was not trying to sell, I just truly loved the bag. Maybe they need to have a newbie Coach night where they get all of us seasoned lovers there and then we can sell without even trying by just chatting our love of the brand. Are you listening, COACH?

Yeah, it better not be during PCE though.

Been there. My hubby can now spot fakes a mile away and even tells me when he sees one at work. He sees at least 3 fakes a day. He gets so frustrated with all the "girl knowledge "he has. He even knows makeup brands and why one thing is better than the other.

I had another unenthusiastic sighting today. I work in retail part time so I see tons of people. This one lady came through my line to buy some things and she had a cute little kristin hobo. I commented, "I love your kristin." She looked down at her purse and said, "This, oh, it's a coach purse." I told her it was the style and she said ok and left. I probably shouldn't comment but some of them are so pretty I can't help myself.

I had another unenthusiastic sighting today. I work in retail part time so I see tons of people. This one lady came through my line to buy some things and she had a cute little kristin hobo. I commented, "I love your kristin." She looked down at her purse and said, "This, oh, it's a coach purse." I told her it was the style and she said ok and left. I probably shouldn't comment but some of them are so pretty I can't help myself.

This has happened to me so many times! I work (well, worked) as a cashier at CVS and would always make comments about customers bags. I almost always got a dirty look and ignored. Some women can be so snotty!

Boy, do I feel a kindred spirit to you! I grew up with a Mom who could talk to anyone, anytime. I got that trait from her and I talk to strangers All the Time. I never hesitate to compliment someone on a handbag, nail polish, haircut, etc. I think your comment to the woman in line shows you have a good personality. I agree she does not have to go on a vacation with you, but I think she was a big drip. A compliment from a stranger always makes my day. You never know when an unsolicited and sincere compliment given to a stranger could really make their day. Keep up the good work. :cool:

Thanks Nellie Sue, that makes my day. I try to be kind in general.....like today in line at the grocery, I offered an elderly man to go ahead of me....he looked tired. As for what others have said about not wanting to talk to strangers.......I respect that, I really didn't say a heck of a lot to her, and when she was essentailly non-responsive, I shut up. I also mentioned in my OP that I wondered if maybe she was having a bad day....who knows, maybe her dog just died or something.

The main reason I posted was that I thought we might have a giggle at me naively thinking I may have found a kindred soul and then mucking it up. I didn't mean to offend you shy folks out there.

But if I sees yah out on the town with a Coach.......not responsible for what I might do! JK!!!!!!

If I can't actively engage a Coach-carrier in conversation, I will certainly crane my neck around like a giraffe trying to get a good view of the bag at hand. I once yelled "Bag Twins!" across a crowded nail salon at a woman carrying "my" Cobalt Patent Ashley. And then another time I basically ran to a gal in Home Depot and demanded to know where she got her Denim Patchwork Carly (but that was excusable because I was not Coach-ified yet and it was my HG bag.)

And then there was the time I motioned for the waitress taking our order to move out of the way so I could get a better view of another patron's Scarf Print Maggie...

All totally involuntary responses on my part, {guilty face}