Not loving the Evelyne strap

I had the same issue with the straps on Evelyn, strap too thick, wide and the canvas made it look unrefined... And not sure using scarf as a strap is a long term solution, so returned it for a jypsiere. Kinda disappointed with Hermes, for this type of money that we r shelling out, the consumer shouldn't have to run to a craft store to make their merchandise more perfect.

Finally got around to taking a couple of pics - scarf as shoulder strap. Basic bias fold and knots. I did the knots really fast for demo, but would usually take more time for wearing out and about. (In case you're wondering - the bed's airing, I do usually make it - promise!)

Oh my gosh, this looks gorgeous to me (the scarf used as strap on Evelyne)! I'm currently in the market for an Evelyne or Jypsiere, these suggestions and ideas are very helpful to someone like me hoping to make a decision either way! Thank you! :smile:

I love the Evelyne with the strap doubled up: it's very comfortable that way. A tip a kind SA told me is to use a pochette instead of a twilly, thread the pochette through the ring and then tie it on. The pochette is thicker and seems stronger. Here's one look with a silk pochette and I've also used a cotton one from the men's collection to good effect.

Attachments

• IMG_4207.jpg
    IMG_4207.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 1,299
I have to admit that I had my Evelyne strap professionally shortened because I don't care for the cross body look on me. Now I love carrying it as a shoulder bag. I didn't have the patience or dexterity to tie twillies or ribbons .

I have to admit that I had my Evelyne strap professionally shortened because I don't care for the cross body look on me. Now I love carrying it as a shoulder bag. I didn't have the patience or dexterity to tie twillies or ribbons .
I did the same. I had H take a bit over 8" off my strap and now it adjusts perfectly to crossbody at long length and shoulder at short length.
However, the buckle does bother me if it's hitting bare skin (say I am wearing a tank top or a thin top) I wish it were more covered by leather or canvas.

Reactions: fineprint
I did the same. I had H take a bit over 8" off my strap and now it adjusts perfectly to crossbody at long length and shoulder at short length.
However, the buckle does bother me if it's hitting bare skin (say I am wearing a tank top or a thin top) I wish it were more covered by leather or canvas.
Glad someone else did this! Also, my Evelyne doesn't have a buckle, the strap was not adjustable.

I used to not care for the look of the strap but I've changed my mind!! Truly, I see the Evelyne as a very casual bag. I always wear mine messenger style and treat it very casually....wearing it on hikes, even. No kidding!!
When I wish to step thing up a bit I carry a kelly or a birkin.
I must admit that I love my Evelyne and carry it more often than my other Hermes bags right now.

Reactions: golconda
I used to not care for the look of the strap but I've changed my mind!! Truly, I see the Evelyne as a very casual bag. I always wear mine messenger style and treat it very casually....wearing it on hikes, even. No kidding!!
When I wish to step thing up a bit I carry a kelly or a birkin.
I must admit that I love my Evelyne and carry it more often than my other Hermes bags right now.
Agree, the Evelyne is not supposed to be "refined". It's a messenger bag, in essence. There would be no way to wear to a dressier event, so the canvas strap makes sense. My Evie goes to the grocery store and the park and on casual vacations where other H bags would be inappropriate. I think it's a little overpriced these days for what it is (outside the EU at least) but this is H where the coloring book costs $180 :P and the bag market is out of control overall IMO.

Part if the reason why I sold mine is due to the metal part. It's quite exposed not the most comfortable. I thought I would love a bag with a thick strap tho...