Travel Not into history... So should it be London & ......

mlbags

O.G.
Sep 21, 2006
I visited Paris last Sept and loved it.

This spring, I would like to visit London and 1 other European country. I have 14 days to spare. So please, avid travellers (I am not).... help me and recommend which should I take:

London & Rome
London & Vienna
London & Geneva
London & Amsterdam, or,
London & "your recommendation"??

My husband and I are travelling on our own and we are in our late 40's.

Thanks in advance and all comments greatly appreciated!

What did you see in Paris when you went last time? I am trying to figure out what "not into history" means for you as Paris is filled with history.

From your list, I prefer Amsterdam and would add Dublin to the list. If you are travelling in the spring, you may be in time for tulip season in The Netherlands. Having said that, there's nothing wrong with any of the places you listed - it comes down to personal preference.

Alternatively, stay in one country and see something other than the larger cities.

Pretty much everywhere in Europe is filled with history, so it would probably help if we knew what you do like. What are you interested in doing on you vacation- dining, shopping, art , architecture, relaxation, people watching? Are you only interested in big cities?

From your list, I like Rome, but would add Barcelona.

I've been to London many times and still could easily spend a week there. I've also been to Vienna and 2 days would probably be enough if you're "not into history". I can't speak to the other cities. As others have said, there is so much history in each of these places, but Vienna isn't really large enough, in my opinion, to enough it without the history.

only Montecarlo came to my mind. All the other cities you listed including London are pretty much filled with history, and 14 days in Europe without visiting museums, churches or archeological sites seem many to me.
how long did you stay in Paris and what did you do?

Yes, a little more info on your interests would help. I could spend 2 weeks in London, easily. You can go into the countryside or just meander around London.

For me, I've been to Vienna and Geneva and wouldn't go out of my way to visit them, though Switzerland is so scenic, as is Austria.

I'd add Barcelona--one of the most interesting cities I've ever visited. Or Rome with all the day trips. It's hard to avoid history anywhere in Europe.

I will suggest Edinburgh (about a four hour train ride) because it's my favorite city in the entire world. But part of the reason I like it is because it's just so old. If you are into paranormal type stuff then they have plenty of ghost tours to do. They also have an incredible scotch tasting tour if you or your DH are into that sort of thing.

Like boxermom mentioned you could also venture out into the countryside around London. Bath is a train ride away, as is York.

I will suggest Edinburgh (about a four hour train ride) because it's my favorite city in the entire world. But part of the reason I like it is because it's just so old. If you are into paranormal type stuff then they have plenty of ghost tours to do. They also have an incredible scotch tasting tour if you or your DH are into that sort of thing.

Like boxermom mentioned you could also venture out into the countryside around London. Bath is a train ride away, as is York.

Yes, yes, yes! How could I forget Scotland? Beautiful country and people.

LOVE scotland!!!

dublin is also fun, vienna is beautiful, and depending on when you are going I would suggest Greece, you could go to Athens and then to a Greek island for some nice relaxing time - if this is in September , it would be great.

Rome is amazing but history is really the main thing to do there

I also suggest London & Scotland. I did that trip last year. I spent 6 days in London and 2 in Scotland (wish i could have spent more!). It was easy because we just took a train from Kings Cross train station in London up to Edinburgh. It was a 4 hour train ride but really fun to get to see the countryside. Edinburgh was the best place I have ever been in my entire life. I seriously suggest it!!! It's not as common of a destination as some other cities you listed, but it was amazing.

Like the others have mentioned, Europe is a place for historical buffs in general, but there are plenty to do without going to "historical places" as well. Prague and Amsterdam are lovely. I would go to Italy and Germany as well. I loved the wine in the Tuscany region; the pasta is to die for. I liked Germany in general too. It depends on what strikes your fancy?

Greek Islands? Since you liked Paris, I want to recommend Italy, despite the fact you're not interested in history. You could train it between several Italian cities in that timeframe. Also highly recommend Berlin.