Travel Not into history... So should it be London & ......

Thank you for all your comments, feedback and recommendations.
I'm not into history but I do enjoy admiring architecture and wee bit of history accompanying it, just not too much. As in Paris, I was wowed by the museums, palace, churches and the historical sights, but I could not spend the whole day nor one whole afternoon just exploring the history aspect, hope you KWIM?

In any case, hubby and I decided to stick to Rome as we had already done some research on Italy (Milan, Florence, Orvietto, Tuscany, Rome). We just decided that we will stay in Rome City but we will surely have some time to do day tours to Orvietto, or perhaps even the Almafi Coast. We have 7 nights in Rome itself.

Thanks again for your participation on my thread!

Orvieto is wonderful, don't skip it! For sure one of the most charming cities in Italy. I could spend hours sitting in a café near the Dome looking at children play and other locals passing by.

Orvieto is wonderful, don't skip it! For sure one of the most charming cities in Italy. I could spend hours sitting in a café near the Dome looking at children play and other locals passing by.

Maryg1, that's what I heard about Orvieto too!

Can you tell me would I be wasting my time if I do just a day trip? Or would you tell me I should at least stay the night in order to make my trip worth its while?

Hubby also prefers that we do not drive, so that we both are relaxed. Therefore, I am looking into joining a day tour group to Orvieto when I am in Rome. Alternatively, I think I might be able to get to Orvieto on my own by train.

Maryg1, that's what I heard about Orvieto too!

Can you tell me would I be wasting my time if I do just a day trip? Or would you tell me I should at least stay the night in order to make my trip worth its while?

Hubby also prefers that we do not drive, so that we both are relaxed. Therefore, I am looking into joining a day tour group to Orvieto when I am in Rome. Alternatively, I think I might be able to get to Orvieto on my own by train.

One day is enough to visit Orvieto, but I wouldn't do it in a tour group because it doesn't give you the time to wander on your own. You have strict time schedules, what if you want to stay in the Dome a bit longer?
I'm going to check if it doable from Rom by train for you.

Yes, take the train from Roma Termini and you'll be in Orvieto in about 1 hr. From Orvieto Station take the "funicular" to reach the city centre.

Yes, take the train from Roma Termini and you'll be in Orvieto in about 1 hr. From Orvieto Station take the "funicular" to reach the city centre.

maryg1, thank you so much. You are so helpful and kind.
Yes, that was what I was afraid cos' I've known to stay at a place much longer than intended just because I was taken in by the beauty.
I will definitely set aside one day in my itinerary for 'Orvieto'. Thanks again!

You can see Geneva in a day, it's a really small city. Personally, I love Rome and have been there a few times. You can't avoid history but don't have to spend time in museums. I would say Ireland or Scotland- short, cheap flights from London and lots to see and do!